• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Easier access to MK?

BuzzinDownToDisney

DIS Veteran
Hey all, I've read conflicting reports, so I figured I'd ask here. What is the easiest way for someone to access the MK if they have handicap license plates/tag? Some say taking the busses is easier than having to go to the TTC park and take the monorail. Figured the experts here would steer me in the right direction. Thanks!

If u drive u need to park at the ttc and the handicap parking is not too far, but u still have to walk up a big ramp to get to the monorail or u could just take the boat. I think they have a bus that goes directly to MK but I am not sure on that. I have seen like bus stops by the MK when walking back to the contemporary. It's still a good distance from the entrance but you would skip out on having to take the monorail there.

It depends on the group traveling. The parking at TTC for handicap is closer to the TTC entrance, but the rows are very long so you can be quite a distance. My sister was using an EVC, so she drove that, but if she had been using her rollator, she would have been too tired. If she had been using her wheelchair, I would have put my foot down and we would have taken the bus. There is a bit of a dip that would have been hard for me to push her back up.

The only reason we drove is that she has a phobia of not having transportation somewhere and we do enjoy taking the ferry to MK. We did take the bus one night and she had some trouble, but no one said anything or rushed her on the EVC.

As long as no one that would be walking has trouble with the distance, I figure it is a wash. It could be faster getting to MK via bus, if you do not stop at multiple resorts or have a long wait. If you have multiple stops or long waits, then driving could be faster.

It depends on the group traveling. The parking at TTC for handicap is closer to the TTC entrance, but the rows are very long so you can be quite a distance. My sister was using an EVC, so she drove that, but if she had been using her rollator, she would have been too tired. If she had been using her wheelchair, I would have put my foot down and we would have taken the bus. There is a bit of a dip that would have been hard for me to push her back up.

The only reason we drove is that she has a phobia of not having transportation somewhere and we do enjoy taking the ferry to MK. We did take the bus one night and she had some trouble, but no one said anything or rushed her on the EVC.

As long as no one that would be walking has trouble with the distance, I figure it is a wash. It could be faster getting to MK via bus, if you do not stop at multiple resorts or have a long wait. If you have multiple stops or long waits, then driving could be faster.

Good tips. Our party member has a little trouble with walking when it gets to decent distances, her problem is knee related. Walking doesn't really bother her till we get to about 15+ minutes. We are trying to figure out the fastest way to get to RD without too much hiking.

Are you staying onsite? If so, I'd say take the bus. If you want to avoid crowds, go even earlier than most and do your waiting by the gates. That will the avoid many of the people trying to make it without any waiting. If you're staying at a resort with boats, that's another option.

It's worth asking the member of your party whether stairs or ramps are better for them. It's possible with knee problems to have more problems with ramps and, if that's true, you definitely want to avoid HP at the TTC. There's a pretty big dip down and up to just get to the side where the monorails and ferry run from.

The difficulty with the distance to MK is one of the reasons that we often suggest people who have mobility issues that limit their ability to navigate WDW rent a wheelchair or ECV from an offsite company (it is possible to rent even ECVs that can be transported by car). Only being able to walk 15 min definitely is a mobility issue that will limit the person's ability to get around, so I hope you have some sort of plan for a mobility aid once you get to the park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter