• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Early MK closure WWYD

StarSeven7

DIS Veteran
We made reservations for MK on Tuesday, January 31 and I now see that it closes early at 4:30pm that day. I’ve read before that those days can be lighter in attendance - how much lighter? Our situation is that my immediate family has 7 days in the parks including 3 days in MK, but we have 3 other family groups coming for different lengths of time on our trip and that particular MK day would only have one other family group with us and that would be their second (and last) day at MK. Because of our convoluted schedule with different groups coming and going, our only other option would be to swap it with our AK day on the monday and do MK 2 days in a row on Sunday and Monday. I’m worried MK will be packed on the Monday now but my husband is balking at losing 3.5 hours of park time on the Tuesday. What would you do?

I personally schedule trips to MK on early closure days but I don't care about fireworks. We intentionally took the day off work and went to MK on the same event earlier this year (4:30 close) and walked on just about anything we wanted to ride. It was fantastic. But with all the park reservation manipulating, I'm hesitant to promise super short lines because you never know. Historically, they are days we seek out to visit MK.

The day before and after early closures at MK are always packed, especially in the evening for fireworks.

What I would do is be extremely happy that i was given the gift of the lowest crowd level you will see at MK. Early close days are by far the best days to go to the park. Sure, you will be in the park for 3.5 hours less, but you will get even more done than you would in a full normal day there. And then you have time to do something else, like Disney Springs or the resort pool, or a nice dinner outside the parks.

Huh. Glad you posted this, I was planning to do an evening at MK on that day.

I wanted to see the fireworks but I guess I'll be flexible. I think the low crowds is probably worth missing the fireworks.

People with regular park tickets don't typically go on early close days because they balk at losing park time. So the only people who go either have hoppers or accept losing the park time in exchange for lower crowds.

We have always had great success visiting the MK on early close days as they scare many people away! We traditionally get more done in a short day than we do on a full day with larger crowds.

If it were me, I would keep the MK reservation on Jan 31st.

Would early close lower crowds apply to mid Dec? A friend is trying to book mid Dec and park passes are sold out 12/19 for MK and there are several party nights 12/15, 12/16, 12/18, 12/20)

I was suggesting going to Mk 12/14 (check in date) and 12/17. They are flexible but the week 12/19 onwards seems super crowded.

The early closure wouldn't deter me from going that day. We're usually there at RD, take an afternoon break and come back in the evening. With a 4:30 closure we'd just skip the afternooon break.

Would early close lower crowds apply to mid Dec? A friend is trying to book mid Dec and park passes are sold out 12/19 for MK and there are several party nights 12/15, 12/16, 12/18, 12/20)

I was suggesting going to Mk 12/14 (check in date) and 12/17. They are flexible but the week 12/19 onwards seems super crowded.

I would do MK on a party day, the non party days are going to be heavier crowds.

People with regular park tickets don't typically go on early close days because they balk at losing park time. So the only people who go either have hoppers or accept losing the park time in exchange for lower crowds.
Sorry, I should have included, we don’t have hoppers!

The early closure wouldn't deter me from going that day. We're usually there at RD, take an afternoon break and come back in the evening. With a 4:30 closure we'd just skip the afternooon break.
We almost never take an afternoon break and are typically rope drop to evening people! 😬

We frequently do MK on a party day. As others have mentioned, crowds are much less.
With it closing that early, I would spend the evening enjoying Disney Springs, food and entertainment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter