Early May 2022 crowds

jtw3549

Earning My Ears
Read a lot about early May in the past being a relatively good time to visit, crowd-wise. Based on January and this month this year, seems like crowd predictions based on previous years may be out the window.

What are your thoughts on May 2022?

Read a lot about early May in the past being a relatively good time to visit, crowd-wise. Based on January and this month this year, seems like crowd predictions based on previous years may be out the window.

What are your thoughts on May 2022?
That’s when we are going. Hoping for the usual crowd level, but who knows.

In the past, it has been a little quieter, other than lots of local school groups ( you can tell by the matching t-shirts). 3rd grade to graduating seniors.
Currently, as busy as the parks have been in the "off season", its anyone's guess how busy it will be.

We are heading down in early May. I'm still holding out hope that the crowds will be a bit lighter with the timeline being between spring break and end of school year. Maybe, parents will be less likely to pull kids out of school that close to year end with year end testing and exams coming up. (I can at least hope, right!! Trying to be optimistic!)

Does anyone think the week of 4/30 will be any different in terms of crowds than 5/7? We have trips booked for both weeks, I can’t decide which one to cancel.

We are heading down in early May. I'm still holding out hope that the crowds will be a bit lighter with the timeline being between spring break and end of school year. Maybe, parents will be less likely to pull kids out of school that close to year end with year end testing and exams coming up. (I can at least hope, right!! Trying to be optimistic!)
We are pulling our kid
at that time. My theory, and her teacher concurs, they have taught what they will for the year by then. It's review the last few weeks. But I have a 2nd grade.

We are there the first two weeks of May. We've chosen that timeframe before and the crowds were pretty good other than weekends that had cheer conventions. I'm not sure what this May is going to bring, but I'm at least hoping lower crowds than what we've seen in February.

I'll be there from May 18 to the 29th, and I'm debating whether to get hopper tickets because of the reservation system. I had been to Disney every year for a decade but missed 2019 due to surgery and then 20 and 21 due to covid, so it's been a few years and I've never dealt with the reservations before. I hate it; I'm a wake up and decide where I feel like going type. I have no problem going to Park A first and then leaving immediately to hop to Park B, since I'm rarely up and around before 2pm anyway, I'm severely disabled. but if I spend on a hopper pass for 10 days and then the calendar is open and I don't need it... what a waste of money.

Is it odd that weekends are availiable in May, but most weekdays are booked/booking quickly? Was wondering the reason....weekends possibly being arrival/ departure days? Any thoughts??

Is it odd that weekends are availiable in May, but most weekdays are booked/booking quickly? Was wondering the reason....weekends possibly being arrival/ departure days? Any thoughts??
That could be why, yeah. I noticed the same myself. I waited as long as I dared to buy tickets since I wasn't sure if you could upgrade if you buy from a ticket retailer, and the calendar was still 100% open last week. Then I bought a 10 day and a 6 day base ticket and 12 hours later, the calendar was mostly full for my whole trip. I've already had to rearrange some reservations, and I'm trying desperately to get tickets for a MK tour but even if a slot opens up at the last minute I won't be able to get the park reservation so I don't know what to do. The tour is early morning, having a hopper won't help.

I'm arriving on a Wednesday and leaving on a Sunday, fwiw. I bet a lot of people do arrive/leave on weekends.

I was looking just a few weeks back and May was all green on the calendar. I was trying to put a last minute trip together for the 2nd week of May but then switched to the 16-20th(better avail.) I was able to get what I wanted as far as ressies go but the dates filled up quick. I too bought through a third party and was sweating receiving my ticket resv. # to input into the MDE to secure reservations. From what I'm reading on the boards reservations do pop up on morning of due to cancellations. I sure miss the good old days of just going to the park you want to ...on the morning of. Good luck with your Mk tour.

Another reason why could be that the Pixie Pass is the only annual pass being sold right now and it has weekday park access only, no weekends. Also a lot of the Guardians AP/DVC previews are taking place on weekdays so a lot of people extended trips or booked last minute trips in order to go. I'm going the second week of May and seeing as there are NO dining reservations for inside Epcot on my AP preview day it'll be busier than usual for sure.

I’m kind of surprised with how bad park availability is for early May. Most weekdays, the only park still available is animal kingdom. I thought early May was a somewhat slower time?

I’m kind of surprised with how bad park availability is for early May. Most weekdays, the only park still available is animal kingdom. I thought early May was a somewhat slower time?
Typically it is but I bet a lot of people are still making up for cancelled trips due to the pandemic. That's actually why I'm going this year, my May 2020 trip was canceled. Something to also note is that previews for Guardians are happening in early-mid May so that is definitely impacting crowd levels. The usually "slow" period in January and February (not counting President's day week) were packed to the brim so I expect it to be busier than average in May as well.

Another reason why could be that the Pixie Pass is the only annual pass being sold right now and it has weekday park access only, no weekends. Also a lot of the Guardians AP/DVC previews are taking place on weekdays so a lot of people extended trips or booked last minute trips in order to go. I'm going the second week of May and seeing as there are NO dining reservations for inside Epcot on my AP preview day it'll be busier than usual for sure.
The Pixie pass makes sense as well as the Guardians preview. Was hoping for a soft opening for the daily guests on my Epcot day but probably not gonna happen. But it just seems busier than usual for the other parks as well. I guess there is no "off-season" anymore.

Do you know what days the previews are?

Do you know what days the previews are?
AP previews are May 8, 9, 10, 15, 16, 18, 19, 20, and 21. DVC previews are May 9 and 18. The D23 preview is May 15th but it takes place after the park is closed. They do get an exclusive viewing spot of Harmonious though. Cast Member (and family member) previews are May 11, 12, 13, 22, 23, 24.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter