Ear tube removal surgery - what to expect?

lecach

<font color=darkorchid>Will not get out of bed unl
DS is four and one of his ear tubes that he's had for over 2 1/2 years has not come out on its own. So we're scheduled for ear tube removal surgery on Thursday. Basically I think they pull out the tube and if necessary put a patch of tissue over the hole. Then he cant swim for a month. But I have no idea if he'll be in a lot of pain or really anything else.

Has anyone been through this with their kids? What can we expect? Any advice to make the process less scary?

My daughter had this done around age 2 as well. It was really quick, she didn't mind it too much and she wasn't in any pain afterward. She did great. Of course at age 4 we are on our second set of tubes. Good Luck!

I just want to follow along as DS4 has one tube that isn't coming out and will have to have his removed if it isn't out by his follow up appt in June.

Super easy procedure. No pain, up and running around in hours. My DD was 4 when she did this and we have never looked back. Ears are clear

My dd5 is on her 2nd set of tubes - the first ones were put in at 4 mos. old and then they were replaced last summer. I'm surprised they are removing them so early - my dd still has plenty of ear infections with the tubes. We found out 2 weeks ago that the tube in dd's left ear is out and her ear drum was ruptured - apparently she had an infection that didn't drain and we didn't know about. She went back to the ped. Friday after complaining of that ear hurting - the tube is still laying in her ear canal and hasn't come out - now her ear drum is reverted? - dr. said it was like sucking in on a balloon - gave her a prescription for a numbing medicine since apparently it's painful and annoying (think clogged ear). And the other tube is just hanging there as well. She goes back to the ENT in 2.5 months and they are going to schedule her to have another set put in. We haven't had a removal surgery but she's had surgery 2x on her ears, 4x on her nose and 1x on her teeth - everything except the teeth she was up within hours playing.

DGD5 just had this done about a month ago. It only took a few minutes, she did great no pain. She was a little sleepy for an hour or so after, but then up and running around. Hope it goes smoothly for you and yours on Thursday.

My son is on his third set of tubes and just turned six. Tube removal...no problem! A little tylenol and good as new.

DD13 has had 10 (yeap!) sets of tubes between 7 mo and 11 years old. She had to have one surgically removed but it was because it was not falling out. It was because it had fallen into her middle ear and was pressing outward on her eardrum. They did it as outpatient surgery at the hospital, no IV needed. she was in recovery for a couple of hours for the anesthesia and was groggy for a couple of more hours. but by the next morning she was completely fine.
Best of Luck w/ your little guy! :goodvibes
BTW our ENT doesn't patch. He said they heal on their own very quickly. Don't know if that's right. But, he's done 11 surgical procedures on DD and we haven't had any complications.
Plus she has ruptured her ear drums 3 different times and they always (incl Pediatrician) said ear drum will heal on it's own. So I guess that's accurate. :confused3

I was wondering the same thing today. My DD2 has had tubes since last year. One of them has shifted and is causing problems. The doctor said her body is rejecting the tube and making scar tissue. We have 2 weeks of ear drops and then we will make a choice on removing the tubes or waiting for it to come out on its own.

Tubes are from heaven! My youngest daughter's 3rd pair wouldn't ever come out. We had the scar tissue issue as well. But removal and cleaning up the scar was easy, painless (with some Tylenol), no problem. Good luck!

How long do Dr's usually leave tubes in before they take them out??? My daughter had some put in 3 1/2 years ago. One still hasn't come out...according to the pediatrician. We haven't seen the ENT for ages...at least a year. (yes, slap me on the wrist for not taking her. With all her other problems, it was hard to drive her the 45 minutes to an appointment that would be an hour late for a 1 minute appointment to see if they were still in.) I'll probably call the ent tomorrow, but is it strange that it hasn't come out yet and would the automatically take it out since it has been that long?

My dd5 is on her 2nd set of tubes - the first ones were put in at 4 mos. old and then they were replaced last summer. I'm surprised they are removing them so early - my dd still has plenty of ear infections with the tubes. We found out 2 weeks ago that the tube in dd's left ear is out and her ear drum was ruptured - apparently she had an infection that didn't drain and we didn't know about. She went back to the ped. Friday after complaining of that ear hurting - the tube is still laying in her ear canal and hasn't come out - now her ear drum is reverted? - dr. said it was like sucking in on a balloon - gave her a prescription for a numbing medicine since apparently it's painful and annoying (think clogged ear). And the other tube is just hanging there as well. She goes back to the ENT in 2.5 months and they are going to schedule her to have another set put in. We haven't had a removal surgery but she's had surgery 2x on her ears, 4x on her nose and 1x on her teeth - everything except the teeth she was up within hours playing.

My recommendation from my experience with my oldest is to have them remove the adnoids. My oldest had tubes placed and as soon as they fell out the ear infections would go again so a new set of tubes were placed. We got a new ENT before the 3rd set and she decided to take his adnoids even though she doubted they were carrying the infection. After she removed them she came in and said "we found the culprit" as the adnoids were infected and causing all the problems. He is now 16 and no more ear infections since then. He also has none of the allergy issues my girls have.

BTW our ENT doesn't patch. He said they heal on their own very quickly. Don't know if that's right. But, he's done 11 surgical procedures on DD and we haven't had any complications.
Plus she has ruptured her ear drums 3 different times and they always (incl Pediatrician) said ear drum will heal on it's own. So I guess that's accurate. :confused3

It does take a little time to heal on its own but they do heal. I had an attempted tube placement in 2005 due to excessive ear infections and because of the way my ear canals are they did not get the tube placed correctly so it fell out within 3 to 4 days. Mt ear healed on its own without the need of the patch. This is one surgery that they do not put adults under for and I learned how thankful I am that they put my kids under for it. They are not getting the chance to do my other ear no matter how many ear infections unless they put me out for it.

Wow, when I was a kid and they removed my tubes they used this giant squirty thing (like the old time-y bug sprayers, think The Godfather) of warm water and shot it in my ear. Out came tube. Felt really good!!! How funny, it's a surgery now?! Tubes must be waaaaay different!!! I am 20-10, after all!!!

:rotfl2:

Best of luck to you and kiddo!!

After 3 sets of tubes, and the removal of both tonsils and adenoids, my son kept on having the ear infections. His ENT doc went in to remove the tubes, and patch the eardrum with tissue, like the procedure you're son is having. BOTH eardrums had mold actually growing on them where the tube and the eardrum met. How gross is that? After that surgery, which was a cakewalk compared to the others, he was much better and very quickly back to normal. The worst part was trying to keep his ears dry all the time for healing.

There shouldn't be much (if any) bleeding, and little pain (nothing tylenol wouldn't cure) unless he is also having adenoids removed, which I also recommend. Having the tonsils and adenoids infected is like having a giant petri dish of bacteria right next to your ear canal- how anyone can avoid ear infections under these circumstances is a miracle.

Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter