E-Cigarette Explosion Injures Girl at Orlando Theme Park

Really?! Try being around cigarette smokers. My wife smokes occasionally, I won't go near hear until she sprays herself down.
Honestly I prefer regular cigarette smokers to the E-Cigg crowd.

I cannot imagine how that poor girl feels. OMG to be burned...by a fireball...on a ride you were trying to enjoy and you were just minding your own business..

Personally I don't like cigarettes, e-cigs, or vaps but aside from that I don't know how in the world this could have been prevented other than the person not having it in their pocket to begin with but still no real way to say this person's device will explode but this person's won't.

Last edited:
The attraction this happened on was the hogwarts express

I don't know how I read that as Gringott's:confused3 Hogwart's Express is even worse, since the cabins are so tight. Pretty freakish. I do hope that they discourage people from keeping them on the locker rides though, just in case. There's isn't much you can do about it on Hogwart's though. I hope she's not permanently scarred.

Very unfortunate.

But let's be honest and not over react here. Everyone here faces a bigger risk that someones cell phone is going to explode.
I wouldn't call having sympathy towards a person who got burned over reacting. Nor would I call people sharing their personal opinions regarding e-cigs and vapes as over reacting.

Just wanted to throw this out there that I'm 200 days clean of cigarettes th and to vaping and over 14 days without vaping. Vaping has the potential to be the biggest public health innovation of this century and has a 58 percent success rate as a ceassation tool at the 3 year mark. Okay. With that being said.

Any vaper should be versed in battery safety and shouldn't be carrying their device in the pocket without it being completely turned off. Its as easy as 5 clicks of the fire button. They also shouldn't be blowing clouds throughout the park.

This guy is what I like to call a vape douche. He isn't the majority of vapers. He's just an uninformed idiot who doesn't care. That girl and her family should due him for gross negligence.

If I had to guess the minor injuries to the guy With the ecig probably come from him having it in his pocket and it burning his leg.

If disney bans vaping they need to ban regular cigarettes as well.

I do wish they would limit use of these to smoking area - I have no interest in breathing the warm moist vapors you just exhaled. (although it seems since the change to the smoking areas more people are just smoking wherever they like and Disney did not seem to do anything about it - I was there a week ago and never saw so many people smoking in MK just walking around - it it was not e-cigs)

I can't see them doing much about this though - it was a very unfortunate accident - I doubt they will ban them from the park - not that I want them too.

They still have not banned selfie sticks - it was rally nice walking around Epcot F&W without all those annoying selfie sticks in your face all the time.

It seems it is a somewhat rare event - I think more Samsung S7s have exploded - but it happens: http://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/what-s-causing-some-e-cigarette-batteries-explode-n533516

I thought the only place peeps could use these e-cigs would be in the designated smoking areas.

I thought the only place peeps could use these e-cigs would be in the designated smoking areas.

That is the official stance but unfortunately with e-cigarettes it is much harder to manage then with regular cigarettes. When you catch someone smoking a traditional cigarette you can say put it out until you get to the DSA. With an e-cig you say please be mindful of our park rules and only smoke them in a DSA and people just stop until they are past you and then start puffing it again or they do it in bathrooms or corners or wherever they want.

Heck I have been to more concerts and sporting events lately where people are vaping both regular nicotine and pot. I'm not against either in your spare time in your own home but if you enter a smoke free facility don't be a jerk and do it anyways. (clarification that is the global you not any direct poster here)

That is what I though - but it seemed like people were using them wherever they like - at least at Disney.
I was not sure if this was allowed or if people were doing whatever they wanted because Disney had reduced the number of smoking area - the reason I say that is I saw people smoking cigarettes on more than one occasion wherever they felt like it as well.

That is what I though - but it seemed like people were using them wherever they like - at least at Disney.
I was not sure if this was allowed or if people were doing whatever they wanted because Disney had reduced the number of smoking area - the reason I say that is I saw people smoking cigarettes on more than one occasion wherever they felt like it as well.
I used to smoke and knew where the smoking spots were located, but the last time we went, at the MK, they had changed or taken away spots, like you said. The smoking spot by the entrance to the Adventureland was so busy and so dirty with overflowing ashtrays, it was disgusting. I don't enjoy having to smell cigarette smoke anymore, but they need to give smokers the space to smoke.

There are always people who do not care about anyone else. I, myself, have seen smokers walking along Main Street. That is just plain rude. If you cannot find a spot, even though they are marked on the park maps, then find an out of the way spot so not to intrude on other guests

I used to smoke and knew where the smoking spots were located, but the last time we went, at the MK, they had changed or taken away spots, like you said. The smoking spot by the entrance to the Adventureland was so busy and so dirty with overflowing ashtrays, it was disgusting. I don't enjoy having to smell cigarette smoke anymore, but they need to give smokers the space to smoke.

There are always people who do not care about anyone else. I, myself, have seen smokers walking along Main Street. That is just plain rude. If you cannot find a spot, even though they are marked on the park maps, then find an out of the way spot so not to intrude on other guests
I def. appreciate your consideration towards others. That being said no place actually has to or needs to give smokers a place to smoke there are plenty of places that are smoke-free establishments. Smoking (tradiational cigarettes, e-cigs, and vapers) should be done in DSA areas only. I may not agree with the following argument but it's seen a lot on the boards: if you can't afford x,y,z at WDW or USO then you shouldn't go. Well if you can't smoke in the DSA areas then don't smoke period.

I do know some people (though of course not all by any means) don't consider e-cigs or vapers to be an issue like cigarettes are in terms of smoking courteously; i.e. they smoke whereever they feel like it.

They did remove 1 DSA and they moved another one of them (I forget which one) to outside of the park near the entrance of MK. I do agree though that WDW and USO should maintain the DSA spaces just as much as other areas of the park.

Yeah - I do agree they need to have places to smoke - and keep them clean - but that's not just an issue in the smoking area IMO.

It seems as far as the smoking area are concerned at Universal (at least the Studios - not sure about IOA) has at least two good size areas - and I did not run into the same issue with people smoking all over the place. I think if you give them a good place most smokers will smoke there. There is always going to be that 10% that dont care about anyone else and do whatever they want - but thats not just smokers.

I def. appreciate your consideration towards others. That being said no place actually has to or needs to give smokers a place to smoke there are plenty of places that are smoke-free establishments. Smoking (tradiational cigarettes, e-cigs, and vapers) should be done in DSA areas only. I may not agree with the following argument but it's seen a lot on the boards: if you can't afford x,y,z at WDW or USO then you shouldn't go. Well if you can't smoke in the DSA areas then don't smoke period.

I do know some people (though of course not all by any means) don't consider e-cigs or vapers to be an issue like cigarettes are in terms of smoking courteously; i.e. they smoke whereever they feel like it.

They did remove 1 DSA and they moved another one of them (I forget which one) to outside of the park near the entrance of MK. I do agree though that WDW and USO should maintain the DSA spaces just as much as other areas of the park.

Just for reference - MK DSA's have been reduced from 7 to 2 over (about) a 3 year period. Still not as bad as the mythical "Airport" DSA.... but getting close. Hence? Different people react in different ways.

Just for reference - MK DSA's have been reduced from 7 to 2 over (about) a 3 year period. Still not as bad as the mythical "Airport" DSA.... but getting close. Hence? Different people react in different ways.
True, I do know over time it has been reduced-more than likely to match changing in society at least that's my opinion. This reduction was hmm I think within a few months ago. And it was a net reduction of 1 but 2 were moved in MK-one removed completely the other was relocated to outside the park. I get what you're saying though there has def. been a move to reduce them. On a thread that was started when MK adjusted their DSA there was talks about wondering if this was the beginning to the end of DSA in general. I wonder if Disney decided to do that (not saying they would just speaking out loud) if USO would follow suit.

True, I do know over time it has been reduced-more than likely to match changing in society at least that's my opinion. This reduction was hmm I think within a few months ago. And it was a net reduction of 1 but 2 were moved in MK-one removed completely the other was relocated to outside the park. I get what you're saying though there has def. been a move to reduce them. On a thread that was started when MK adjusted their DSA there was talks about wondering if this was the beginning to the end of DSA in general. I wonder if Disney decided to do that (not saying they would just speaking out loud) if USO would follow suit.
When we were there in September, there were 2 smoking areas in the Magic Kingdom and one outside. One was by Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, one on the back walkway between Space Mountain and the new Fantasyland. The third was outside the park by the boat docks.

When we were there in September, there were 2 smoking areas in the Magic Kingdom and one outside. One was by Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, one on the back walkway between Space Mountain and the new Fantasyland. The third was outside the park by the boat docks.
Yeah. They used to have more in the park. I found the thread but am on my phone at the moment so can't link it but the thread was from mid-june of this year. Maybe I wasn't too clear with my post which is quite possible. MK now has two inside and one outside. They actually moved two DSAs at that time: one was completely removed the other was moved outside the park so really a net loss of 1 entirely for the MK area.

I believe their treated just like cigarettes and can only be used in the smoking areas. Of course you'll catch occasional people vaping around the park here and there

Personal opinion here but no that one incident would not make Disney make such a hugh decision and ban smoking. To be honest it's not an incident that would be indicative of either park to reexamine their smoking policies..maybe their bags on rides policies (and even then it was not an incident that one could predict) but not their smoking policies.

ETA:
There is another thread on this topic..though it's gone into the whole DSA and smoking habits for both WDW and USO train of thought: http://www.disboards.com/threads/e-cigarette-explosion-injures-girl-at-orlando-theme-park.3551843/

Minor correction - WDW has changed. Global Society has not. This is not a Global Society choice.... it's a WDW business choice. Corporate choice, right or wrong, will determine guest behavior at WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter