Dysautonomia / NCS / POTS - rides?

BeachLife

Earning My Ears
Hi all,
I was dx'd with dysautonomia / NCS / POTS / etc and many other labels for many years. No matter what the Drs choose to call it, all of the labels seem to ultimately say the same thing -- I'm often dizzy, pass out quite a bit, heat intolerance, etc.

I've seen a few threads about POTS in the parks, BUT everything seems to be focused on the usual problems, ie: standing in line, heat, etc., which I'm well-versed in after living with this condition for so long.

What I've not seen are people's reactions and issues with rides.

Has anyone with a similar condition run into issues with rides? There are some obvious things, like Mission Space green would probably be a bad idea, but what about the orange side? Are there any rides where passing out on the ride would put me in danger? or are there things I should do knowing that I might pass out?

My daughter rode everything except Mission SPace, Rockin roller coaster, Tower of Terror, Star Tours and Tea cups. The only one that gave her issues was Everest.She blacked out for a minute on the ride. She is not planning on riding it on our next trip.

DisneyOma & book_junkie: I got them confused... I meant the more intense version, which is Orange.
stsomewhere: Thank you! That's quite a bit of help there and it makes sense. Did she avoid both Mission Space versions or just the more intense one? Any reason on Star Tours? I'm assuming she blacked out due to G-forces on Everest?

Obviously passing out isn't something I want to do, but I'm not afraid of it. I am afraid of passing out leaving me in a bad position 'though. I'll have my fiance with me, so I won't be alone if it happens. I'm also going to show her this thread so we can decide what's doable and what to avoid and what, if anything, we can do to help things.

My daughter (17 ys old) hates spinning rides. It bothered her before her diagnosis. As for Star Tours, she is not a big Star Wars fan. She loved Flight of Passage. That was our second trip since her dx, POTS, IST, EDS. We are going back next month.

Just take it easy and let your body decide what you can do. You will have a great time. Space out the big rides to give your body time to recover. Everyone is different, what might bother some might not bother you.

How would you do with a quick turn/whip around a corner? There are some quick turns on TSMM.

I used to do quite well with most of the spinning rides when I was young. Zero Gravity was one of my favorites.

Now? Well...It depends. Some days just a car making a 90 degree turn or just trying to get out of bed is enough to get me majorly dizzy and lose my balance. Other times it's not an issue. Sometimes 10 minutes makes all the difference, but I don't always know until I'm there.

My BP normally runs in the hypotensive side of things, BUT, sometimes can run well into the hypertensive side. Meds haven't been of much help with my body's autonomic regulation being so fickle. Everything the Drs have tried has only made me feel worse, so I haven't been on anything in over a decade. I've just kind of accepted that this is how my body works. I try to make sure that when I'm not feeling well that I'm in a safe position so if/when I do pass out I don't injure myself. Passing out doesn't bother me, rather, passing out and getting hurt, or everyone getting panicky about me passing out is what bothers me.

The only ride I've ever had problems with is Everest - going around the turn backwards throws off my system something awful! I've never actually lost consciousness on any of the rides, but I have to sit in the little space between the unloading gates and the photo monitors for a couple minutes when I get off or I wouldn't make it after Everest. That said, I still love the ride!!!

I agree with you BeachLife, I'm not bothered by passing out, but everyone around freaking out when I do bothers me.

But when you pass out, isn't there a real risk of getting hurt because you are not in control of your body on the ride?

But when you pass out, isn't there a real risk of getting hurt because you are not in control of your body on the ride?

That's what I was originally asking and still would like to know.

What rides would I be putting myself at risk of being injured if I were to pass out on them? Are there things I could/should be doing on certain rides that might prevent myself from getting hurt? As mentioned above, I don't mind passing out. It's getting hurt / putting myself in danger that I'm trying to avoid.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter