DVC's Beach Alligator problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Were you previously aware that there are alligators in the state of Florida?
Yes. I heard there are alligators, but I've always assumed they were in the wild. Not next to the beach on a $700 a night resort, where they host disney events like movies, etc.

Yes. I heard there are alligators, but I've always assumed they were in the wild. Not next to the beach on a $700 a night resort, where they host disney events like movies, etc.
As you know now, that's an incorrect assumption. WDW is made up of thousands of acres (roughly twice the size of Manhattan) and a very large percentage of that property is undeveloped, so it's very much the 'wild'.

Disney is now going to put up signs saying alligator warnings,a little to late ,I have a suggestion for Disney while your putting up alligator signs you also need to put fences around your pools , I found a 3 yr old who opened the door to his room while his parents were sleeping by the pool area I'm sure Disney will put the fences up after we have another tragedy , come on disney get it together

Disney is now going to put up signs saying alligator warnings,a little to late ,I have a suggestion for Disney while your putting up alligator signs you also need to put fences around your pools , I found a 3 yr old who opened the door to his room while his parents were sleeping by the pool area I'm sure Disney will put the fences up after we have another tragedy , come on disney get it together

I thought that the pools were already getting fences.

:earsboy: Bill

I'm amazed how upset and opinionated people are on this topic. It seems like we'll have to agree to disagree whether or not Disney, the parents, or someone else was negligent somewhere. I'm not about to step into this minefield of disagreement! The only thing thing I know for sure is that it was a tragic event and hopefully it won't happen again.

I'm amazed how upset and opinionated people are on this topic.

Some people are so blindy anti-corporate that they will ignore all common sense and probability. They see Disney, they see a freak accident involving a child, and they think... hmm Disney didn't do enough to protect those people!!! or those parents are horrible people!!!

There is a small argument that Disney has ignored the morons feeding the alligators for too long. Once again, I'm sorry Disney can not prevent all stupid people from doing stupid things. IMO, the feedings are probably why this alligator lost his fear of humans and ventured closer to the beach. The actual attack was just natural and horrifying. Yes, Florida has an abundant population of Alligators (just ask anyone who lives there). Yes, they are a little more dangerous than the wildlife in your home state.

Dear self-righteous people of the internet,
Stop blaming Disney and stop blaming the parents. I'm sure that father will never have a decent night's sleep again for the rest of his life. I can only imagine how horrifying it would be to lose grip of my son and feel him dragged under to his death. What exactly will you gain from lecturing him? Show some sympathy.

It's also challenging to enforce.

Say you're a member of the Mousekeeping staff, and you see someone tossing popcorn to something. What do you think your odds are, if you walk up to them and tell them to knock it off?

So, do they radio a member of security? How quickly does security show up? Are the people still there?

As you know now, that's an incorrect assumption. WDW is made up of thousands of acres (roughly twice the size of Manhattan) and a very large percentage of that property is undeveloped, so it's very much the 'wild'.
I don't get how people think anywhere could not be considered "wild". Most of us probably live in a neighborhood, city, town, whatever... you still have rabbits, squirrels, birds, snakes, turtles, etc... they are still wild animals. I've never heard anyone living in an incorporated area see an animal and go look a domesticated rabbit, snake, deer, pig, turtle, etc... Everywhere you go, there's a chance of being around animals other than pets. If you vacation somewhere and you're not sure of the environment you will be vacationing in, that's on you, it's your responsibility not the place you are visiting. I can't wait for someone to blame Disney or Florida in general for them getting sunburned and then suffer a heat stroke. Sorry I didn't know it got so hot here.

OK lets face it we are in overreaction mode after the GF incident. But it seems to me that DVC's strategy and really all the hotels is to offer water as part of the theme. We have the Beach Club (which used to have it own Alligator), we are building rooms right out on the water in Poly and WLV.

While Disney has always closed the beaches to swimming, its putting its guests closer to the water.

We all understand, this is Florida, never an issue in 35 years, kids not supposed to be in water..... The fact is Disney is moving its guests on that very water. Movie and smores nights targeted at kids on the beach may not be the idea???

Gators do not attack out of the water unless provoked. they do not take down prey that is not manageable, pets and small children splashing at the waters edge at night is like a dinner bell.This not meant to be heartless what happened is tragic but preventable. In florida the only safe water at night is a well lite pool, after you check it. Especially around now, it's mating season and gators are exceptionally aggressive. For the most part if you leave them alone they leave you alone, we do not make a good meal. as reported even the child was released intake. They do not pursue prey out of the water, gators kill by drowning then break off pieces or swallow whole. If your up watching a movie away from the waters edge you are safe, unless one just wanders your way which if you are making any noise or movement is unlikely, I guess anything is possible. A much bigger threat is poisonous snakes they can kill a small child or any one with compromised health, healthy adults will suffer but rarely die. Please be aware this is florida, there are alligators, bear, panthers, snakes, sharks, man of war jelly fish, red ants, killer bees, even reports of lion fish having been released from ponds. The most deadly of all these just happens to be our fellow humans, they attack and kill far more than all the others combined. Always be aware of your surroundings, Disney is as safe a place as you can go but not 100%.

It's also challenging to enforce.

Say you're a member of the Mousekeeping staff, and you see someone tossing popcorn to something. What do you think your odds are, if you walk up to them and tell them to knock it off?

So, do they radio a member of security? How quickly does security show up? Are the people still there?
Most people will react properly if some one suggests they do not feed the wildlife in a polite way, even if you do not work for Disney.

Do the signs say "No Swimming" or "Stay out of Water" or both? I only remember "no swimming". I get that it is rare. But Disney itself has closed all beaches at the same time that they are putting guests right on the water.

If you guys think its a great strategy for DVC to build right on the water and host all their events at the same time alligators like to eat, I am not sure its the greatest strategy.
watching a movie is perfectly safe, The movie was over and they were splashing in the water. never mind the gators that water is not clean enough to play in.

I don't get how people think anywhere could not be considered "wild".

Well, it's time to start getting it, because Disney agrees. A "Warning: Gators" sign is a pretty logical step. You can slide on down off your high horse now, as not everyone knows everything you do. What have you got against $100 dollar signs that could save a persons life? Nobody is blaming Disney.

Well, it's time to start getting it, because Disney agrees. A "Warning: Gators" sign is a pretty logical step. You can slide on down off your high horse now, as not everyone knows everything you do. What have you got against $100 dollar signs that could save a persons life? Nobody is blaming Disney.
It's not being on a high horse. It's called having common sense and doing a little research before you go some place for vacation. It is built on swamp land for crying out loud. Oh, there's also the University of Florida Gators, Gatorland, and other giveaways that identify Florida as having gators.

I don't have anything against the signs. I just hope they don't discriminate against gators. They should also warn against snakes, turtles, pedophiles, rapists, sun, extreme heat, mosquitos, thunder storms(don't need a lightning strike victim)because apparently at Disney, the nothing bad exists mentality is so common while here. Oh, and if you think a sign will keep people from going in the water or near it, that's asking too much isn't it. I think there should be a CM every 10' 24/7 just to be on the safe side.

It's not being on a high horse. It's called having common sense and doing a little research before you go some place for vacation. It is built on swamp land for crying out loud. Oh, there's also the University of Florida Gators, Gatorland, and other giveaways that identify Florida as having gators.

I don't have anything against the signs. I just hope they don't discriminate against gators. They should also warn against snakes, turtles, pedophiles, rapists, sun, extreme heat, mosquitos, thunder storms(don't need a lightning strike victim)because apparently at Disney, the nothing bad exists mentality is on so many people's minds. Oh, and if you think a sign will keep people from going in the water or near it, that's asking too much isn't it. I think there should be a CM every 10' 24/7 just to be on the safe side.

You go tell that to the people who lost their kid. Saying a university football team is an indication that there are alligators feet from disney events, is like saying expect to be attacked by a Lion because you are at a football game in Detroit.

You go tell that to the people who lost their kid. Saying a university football team is an indication that there are alligators feet from disney events, is like saying expect to be attacked by a Lion because you are at a football game in Detroit.
Nice try but epic fail right there. Completely missed the point.

Nice try but epic fail right there. Completely missed the point.
Oh I get the point. You would rather there wasn't a sign there so people can google about feeding grounds for dangerous animals next to their hotel, on every vacation you go on.

Oh I get the point. You would rather there wasn't a sign there so people can google about feeding grounds for dangerous animals next to their hotel, on every vacation you go on.
If one thing can be taken as a positive out of this tragedy, those people that aren't prepared to visit Disney or are oblivious to nature now will be and Disney is now taking care of that which is something that should have been known before hand by it's visitors.

More of the same it's not my responsibility to know what's going on it's somebody else's.

One thing I and many others have realized on this site, ignorance runs rapid at Disney.

We're going in Circles. You are not reading a thing I've said. :) I had no idea there were alligators in the lakes at Disney until 2 days ago. Where I am from, we warn people about the risks when taking part in local attractions. To assume everyone knows everything you do is pretty ignorant. All you need is a sign, a message, even an email when you book, to tell them there are Alligators in the lakes at Disney. I had NO IDEA there were alligators in the lakes at Disney, because it's not on my list of things to look up when planning a trip.
I understood what you said, I just disagree with it. This was not Disney's fault, there's nothing they should have done up until this point and a sign would have made zero difference without the tragedy that goes with it. It's all about personal responsibility and bad luck, nothing more and nothing less. That they do signs now doesn't change that in any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter