• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DVC's Beach Alligator problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have stayed in that area several times, as recently as 2 months ago. The beach is beautiful but that water looks like a breeding bed for all kinds of nasty bacteria. I am not sure at what point Disney is responsible for a sign covering everything that could go wrong - bacteria may cause severe illness, mosquitos that might carry Zika near swampy water...... It was a terrible accident. I anticipate Disney will feel it necessary to make significant changes, maybe even natural barriers making it harder to reach the water on all the beaches.

I've stayed at multiple resorts at Disney and they all have man-made and some natural lakes on their properties. As a Florida resident, I see alligators all the time. You can bet your life that in any form of water; natural or man-made there is a great chance an alligator(s) are in them. Heck, I live near the Gulf of Mexico and they are in the surf!

There are signs posted near all lakes. Whether or not people read them or choose to abide by them is on them. Besides, at 9PM the last place I would go is near the lake/lagoon to dip my feet in when a perfectly good pool is within walking distance nearby without alligators. Natural barriers would only do so much to prevent alligators and other animals from getting through. Alligators and jump over them and will most likely destroy them. Disney is going to have to hire trappers and other animal services to monitor and remove them on a regular basis.

Speaking of DVC Beach Alligator problems.......

They're now building a couple dozen waterfront cabins at CCV, not to mention the PVB Bungalows. I wonder if anyone's second guessing that strategy now?

My guess is that this will become old news within a week or so as soon as the next thing happens, but there will probably be at least a change in signage. Hopefully movies on the beach won't be discontinued but you never know.

I've been reading all comments here and elsewhere. Got me to thinking about the old days in River Country at Fort Wilderness. I know the bacteria issue probably closed it down (?). But wondering how they controlled other critters. Did they have anything to prevent gators, etc from entering that area? Kind of gives me pause to think all the times we zipped lined and tubed into those waters.

Until yesterday I never thought people would read a no swimming sign and think "well, as long as I'm not swimming laps in the water, I'm fine."

No swimming means stay the hell out of the water.
Have you looked in the community section thread about this? Quite a few over there don't think so. I take it as stay out of the water as well. Of course, I also figured everyone knew there were gators in Florida and at Disney too. I just can't comprehend how you wouldn't know that. I believe I learned that in elementary school as well as watching tv.

Feeding them is also illegal in FL.
Feeding wild animals is illegal in the entire US.

I've been reading all comments here and elsewhere. Got me to thinking about the old days in River Country at Fort Wilderness. I know the bacteria issue probably closed it down (?). But wondering how they controlled other critters. Did they have anything to prevent gators, etc from entering that area? Kind of gives me pause to think all the times we zipped lined and tubed into those waters.
They also used to allow swimming in Seven Seas Lagoon up until about 20 years ago.

They also used to allow swimming in Seven Seas Lagoon up until about 20 years ago.
Most people don't know this or haven't thought about this but gators were not very common 30 years ago in Florida. I believe at one time they were consider endangered but don't quote me on my that. They were there but not near as populated as today. We see gators every trip, I doubt people saw very many 20-30 years ago.

I remember camping as a kid 40 years ago in Florida and being told to stay away from lakes because of alligators. One of them had a sign that with a picture of an alligator eating a dog.

Is it me, or did they remove that Polynesian beach photo from the DVC website? I think they are turtling.

I am having trouble understanding how many people seem to be clueless about the wildlife in Florida. We started going to Disney when I was a toddler, I was never allowed into any of the water, unless it was a pool. Now, being from Illinois, we don't have threats of Alligators, or cottonmouth snakes, but I was very aware of them when vacationing down there, so how is it that many others seem to be oblivious? You can't possibly believe that Disney is under this protective bubble and is completely free from all things posing a potential danger.

I unfortunately believe that Disney will change up their signage, but it won't stop people from doing what they want to do. Just like the signs we saw at SSR...something to the tune of "nature path closed at dusk"...definitely saw people walking through at night, and I'm pretty positive there is a very good reason why that sign exists.

You can't possibly believe that Disney is under this protective bubble and is completely free from all things posing a potential danger.

I think this is the problem. When at Disney we can risk of letting our risk awareness down because we feel in a magic bubble. It can be leaving a valuable on a pushchair or by the pool, letting a child play where he shouldn't or not locking the patio windows. If you ask a parent at home if it's ok to let a child play on the edge of the water of a Florida lake, he would certainly tell you he would never do it. Yet at WDW we feel more secure and so make mistakes.

I am having trouble understanding how many people seem to be clueless about the wildlife in Florida. We started going to Disney when I was a toddler, I was never allowed into any of the water, unless it was a pool. Now, being from Illinois, we don't have threats of Alligators, or cottonmouth snakes, but I was very aware of them when vacationing down there, so how is it that many others seem to be oblivious? You can't possibly believe that Disney is under this protective bubble and is completely free from all things posing a potential danger.
First time to Disney 2 years ago. I'm not from the USA. Had absolutely no idea there were alligators in the Disney parks. We do exist. Not everyone went to Disney or even Florida as a kid. I don't expect people to come to my country to know everything about it, so why assume we do?

First time to Disney 2 years ago. I'm not from the USA. Had absolutely no idea there were alligators in the Disney parks. We do exist. Not everyone went to Disney or even Florida as a kid. I don't expect people to come to my country to know everything about it, so why assume we do?
Of course not but in reality whatever risks are present are still there whether one thinks about it or not. Whether it's stepping off the curb in a country where they drive on the opposite side from what one is accustomed to, driving on the autobahn or going to a zoo in china visit the pandas. I suspect they'll put up new signs but Disney did nothing wrong and if they didn't do anything at all preventative, they'd be appropriate. I've seen 2 people bitten by a rattlesnake at Walmart, one first hand.

Of course not but in reality whatever risks are present are still there whether one thinks about it or not. Whether it's stepping off the curb in a country where they drive on the opposite side from what one is accustomed to, driving on the autobahn or going to a zoo in china visit the pandas. I suspect they'll put up new signs but Disney did nothing wrong and if they didn't do anything at all preventative, they'd be appropriate. I've seen 2 people bitten by a rattlesnake at Walmart, one first hand.
I think signage is all it would take. (Which is happening). I just think the assumption that everyone knows about Alligators, is just that, an assumption. I certainly don't blame Disney, but just letting us foreigners know would be helpful. They comb the grass, and paint every surface to make the place perfect. If your only experience with Florida is on a magical express bus, than you assume everything is safe, unless you are given a heads up.

I think signage is all it would take. (Which is happening).
I couldn't disagree more. We have gone to Disney dozens of times and are always amazed at what people do there. I do not know the family involved. A more specific sign might have detoured the family in this situation but believe me, there are plenty of other families that would disregard the sign and do as they please - we see it all the time.

I'm from the UK and it didn't occur to me there could be gators in the water. Plus no swimming over here does not mean don't go in the water. It means there is a current so you can paddle your feet. I wouldn't go in the lake anyway because of bacteria but I don't think people are stupid just because they don't know. We were in Maine and shocked when bears were going through our garbage bins in our motel! We don't have bears and gators in the UK!

From the video footage and photos that I have seen, the water there looks disgusting anyways. Filthy actually. I wouldn't want to dip my toe in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter