DVC vs. Disney package deals

Something else to consider, if you want the location but don't want to pay for deluxe, is to stay at the Swan/Dolphin resort. You can get decent discounts as a AAA member, nurse, or teacher, or government discounts. Join Starwood or Marriott rewards too for other perks!

I have done the math and research and it will be more expensive going the DVC route .

Dec 2018 isn't even open for booking at hotels yet, so I'd shy away from making solid decisions on that yet. And the points charts ARE out for DVC rentals then, but you can't even book it until January at the earliest.

Do people find DVC places more desirable? If you strip it down, take price out of the equation (within reason)..would you rather stay at a DVC place or regular room?

I would rather stay DVC because of the kitchen, or kitchenette if my points don't stretch far enough for the 1/2 bedroom.

Now if only I had a DVC hookup. I would do $12/point in a heartbeat! The problem is actually finding that without a connection. Every secure place online is at $15+

Once you become a more solid member of the Dis community you'll be able to participate in the DVC rental board here, by the way.

I did a lot of math and comparisons when deciding whether to book DVC or package for our next trip. If we didn't do DVC, we'd be in a moderate - probably CBR because POFQ never has free dining and we want something different than where we went last time (POR). For 3 nights in November, it would be $819. Renting points for OKW at $12 a point was $450. If we added in the meal plan to the DVC price, it would be $876. So it's about $60 renting points BUUUTTTTT.... from what I've been reading, free dining is not the guaranteed thing it used to be, especially for November this year. And since we're going adult-only we're going to be eating at restaurants the kids won't necessarily like and we'd like to do apps and maybe not dessert at every meal.

I like all the options that DVC gives but you need to be really flexible. We don't even request Poly or CR - very hard to get. BC has been hard to get lately, too. We did stay there in 2007 and I'd love to again. Our past 3 trips have been DVC rentals at AK and BW. We have never had a problem getting BW 11 months out and I got it right away for our Food and Wine trip this fall. I'm fine with the cost going up a bit each year because I still see it as a better deal. As for Free Dining many are posting that it may not be offered or very limited. Never did it but I am always amazed at the number of families collecting snacks to take home on their last day. I saw several families in Epcot with bags of cookies and candy because they had so many snack credits left!

Dec 2018 isn't even open for booking at hotels yet

Actually, if OP is in the UK, they can book 2018 packages already. Those are released. They get a special release and pricing that is entirely different from the US packages/rack.

I realize I am looking at all of this way in advance but that is just my nature. I just wanted to get some opinions from people with experience of both approaches here. As of now, I am actually leaning towards the DVC rentals. The fact is, the dining plan is way too much food and I am a pretty big eater. So for me to say that, it is severe. Anyway, I really appreciate everyone's opinion on this.

We've done both and when we got free dining (there are 5 of us Disney adults) it was cheaper to not go DVC since that added up to $350 per night,and we wouldn't save that much renting points. However if it's just two of you it would be a different story.

Thank you for posting this. I always cringe when renting points is the first suggestion made. It can be a great deal, and it can offer an affordable alternative for some families, but there are cons associated with this decision.
What are the cons of renting dvc?

Dec 2018 isn't even open for booking at hotels yet, so I'd shy away from making solid decisions on that yet. And the points charts ARE out for DVC rentals then, but you can't even book it until January at the earliest.

I would rather stay DVC because of the kitchen, or kitchenette if my points don't stretch far enough for the 1/2 bedroom.

Once you become a more solid member of the Dis community you'll be able to participate in the DVC rental board here, by the way.
How do you become a member to rent points??

You don't have to be a member to rent points, you rent them from the owner who is the member. Cons are less flexible cancellation policies mainly and less housekeeping services.

You rent from individuals or agencies that represent them. One is David's DVC. Cons: once paid for you can't cancel although some companies offer sliding cancellation insurance, you have to rent far in advance about 7-11 months.

How do you become a member to rent points??

The reference was to the DIS Rent/Trade Board, which requires a certain amount of DIS-perience to be able to access. It is a place where DVC owners list their points for rent and you can rent points in private transactions. You can often save money versus renting home resort points via an agency like David's, who will charge $17-18 per point in home resort. However, for early December, for a prime resort, most private owners will charge a similar rate as an agency, because early December is the highest DVC demand period of the year. A Poly or BRV owner with points good for weeks 47-49 will likely charge $16-18 per point, and should due to demand and the personal level of service you might get.

The advantage of a private rental in early December is not the cost savings vs. an agency, but the ability to work with an individual, and have a commitment to try to be booking you at 8AM when your booking window opens. You cannot get that assurance with an agency.

What are the cons of renting dvc?

I first must say that I do not rent points,so all of my discussion here is from what I have read.

If you rent points you generally must pay in full and there are no cancellation provisions in place (for the most part, I know that there are some that allow it) so your dates are set in stone. You really do not own the reservation so you cannot make changes upon check in. If you were to request a different view or level the owner would be impacted.

Renting may not give you the best price when compared to a discount that is offered later, and if you choose to rent you forgo any further discounts. You also may be able to get a less expensive resort if you are simply budget minded. DVC is is deluxe resorts, so teh cost may be less that those resorts price out at, but may not come close to a moderate that has a discount you can apply.

You are in a timeshare unit. You are not entitled to the same amenities that you may be used to. For instance, you do not get daily cleaning and towels. This is not a major issue. but it is a consideration.

I do not discourage people from renting, but I think that it is not the simple solution that it may seem to be. There is a lot to consider, not the least of which is when you need to book. DVC high and low seasons are not the same as we think in terms of "slow" and "busy."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter