DVC Rental points - availability updates?

Jsharp13

Mouseketeer
Hi! I am learning about renting DVC points for part of my stay next (date removed). Looks like there are several websites to work with. I understand point values different 11 months out and I think 7 months out. I also understand that I can "request" my room category and dates. But, that request will not even work unless that company has some availability from owners. Some websites have a place where you can see what is currently available.

My question is: how frequently do new rooms become available this way? I mean, do owners release their room a year in advance, or could some new rooms pop up as available at any time? If these become available frequently, I'm wondering if I should be stalking a couple sites each day and jump on a room if it becomes available for my dates?

Thanks for any tips. I'm new to the DVC point rental system!

Last edited by a moderator:
You can't rely on those availability guides, they are not live. It was accurate at a point in time, however availability can change from minute to minute. Best thing to do is determine who you want to work with and put in your request. There are also owners here on the board who rent.

So we've been going to WDW for decades, first with my parents and now as a parent with my teenagers. I've been interested in renting points for years and it's never worked out for us as others have mentioned. Mostly because the room preference we want is usually sold out and booked by DVC owners 11 months out, it's even hard for a lot of DVC owners to get these rooms so by the time it gets to the agency, it's slim pickings. Yes, you can find DVC rooms that for one reason or another, an owner can't use, but it won't be flexible dates and it may not be the room type you want. And it's always possible to find last minute deals but again, you have to be super flexible and that's not always easy.

With kids in school, we aren't date flexible and I don't care to spend $1500/nt on a 2 bedroom...it's hard to find the studios; thus it's never worked for us. I've even put in my request for rooms with my dates......several times and it's always been the same story, the studios and 1 bedrooms fly off the shelves and they're gone before you can even reply to the email.

The other issue, but not a deal breaker for me, is you're not booking direct with Disney so you need to be intimately familiarized with the cancellation/change policy of the 3rd party DVC agency. Booking indirect poses a few hurdles, nothing that makes your trip impossible but just adds another layer to planning. We have stayed in DVC rooms but we've always booked cash via Disney. I think if one can be flexible, you have much better chances of getting a rental.

Removed your dates so it didn’t seem like you were asking to rent.

The owners have points thst can be used to book any room for any dates based on where they own and how far in advance.

The people who show specific confirmed reservations have actually booked and offer those as is.

Everything is is based on what is there when an owner goes to book.

Until then, it can and does change. We don’t allow people to post what is actual available at any given time because if this.

Alll you can do is put in a request for what you want and if they have an owner with the correct points and there is a room to book, then you will have your rental!

Availability is not dependent on an owner releasing a room. Owners get points that they can book rooms with. There are very few fixed week contracts. For most owners, they book what they want each year. So, if you are renting, it is best to get your request in early.

So we've been going to WDW for decades, first with my parents and now as a parent with my teenagers. I've been interested in renting points for years and it's never worked out for us as others have mentioned. Mostly because the room preference we want is usually sold out and booked by DVC owners 11 months out, it's even hard for a lot of DVC owners to get these rooms so by the time it gets to the agency, it's slim pickings. Yes, you can find DVC rooms that for one reason or another, an owner can't use, but it won't be flexible dates and it may not be the room type you want. And it's always possible to find last minute deals but again, you have to be super flexible and that's not always easy.

With kids in school, we aren't date flexible and I don't care to spend $1500/nt on a 2 bedroom...it's hard to find the studios; thus it's never worked for us. I've even put in my request for rooms with my dates......several times and it's always been the same story, the studios and 1 bedrooms fly off the shelves and they're gone before you can even reply to the email.

The other issue, but not a deal breaker for me, is you're not booking direct with Disney so you need to be intimately familiarized with the cancellation/change policy of the 3rd party DVC agency. Booking indirect poses a few hurdles, nothing that makes your trip impossible but just adds another layer to planning. We have stayed in DVC rooms but we've always booked cash via Disney. I think if one can be flexible, you have much better chances of getting a rental.
Owners aren't here to supply non owners. Everyone wants BCV, especially the owners that paid a premium. With all due respect, stop the FOMO, and think how much time are you really going to be in the nice pool? Lotsa of availability but not at BCV because the owners bought where they stay!

I have found renting on this board https://www.disboards.com/forums/dvc-rent-transfer.29/ been wonderful and easy. If you know your dates 11 months out you can usually find someone who is renting the points you need. It costs less and is easier than the brokers. The first time I did it my husband laughed and said he would give me a hard time if it did not work, (giving thousands of dollars to a stranger and believing that they will book a reservation.) I have now done it 4 times and each time it has been wonderful. If you use the boards I recommend using one of the brokers availability finders and see if there is something. No reason to waste the DVC owners time nor yours if the room is most likely all booked. You can also see the point charts and see how much it would cost for each point. Do your research and make sure you are comfortable with the transaction. Every time I have rented I waited until the DVC owner booked the reservation and gave me a confirmation number. I put the number in my Disney account and made sure the reservation was legit. I then got the money to the DVC owner. Have fun.

Owners aren't here to supply non owners. Everyone wants BCV, especially the owners that paid a premium. With all due respect, stop the FOMO, and think how much time are you really going to be in the nice pool? Lotsa of availability but not at BCV because the owners bought where they stay!
I've just moved beyond trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. It's just not worked for my family. And fwiw, we've never been that picky on resort, just trying to do a studio, at any resort, the dates have never worked for us. But we've had good luck going direct with Disney. Beyond that, it's just not worked out, not sure what you mean by FOMO? I mean I know what FOMO means, but I don't give a rip about SAB, we've never been that picky, just trying to get a decent price on a studio. We don't plan our trips 11 months out and it's just not worked. It's that simple. It doesn't mean that I think DVC owners "owe" me anything. I only replied to the OP inquiry with my experience.

Last edited:
I've just moved beyond trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. It's just not worked for my family. And fwiw, we've never been that picky on resort, just trying to do a studio, at any resort, the dates have never worked for us. But we've had good luck going direct with Disney. Beyond that, it's just not worked out, not sure what you mean by FOMO?
DVC is definitely way more planning in advance than it is to book a hotel room. I know its more risky but you might have luck finding a Beach Club member with a confirmed reservation on a Facebook group.

DVC is definitely way more planning in advance than it is to book a hotel room. I know its more risky but you might have luck finding a Beach Club member with a confirmed reservation on a Facebook group.
Comedic that everyone on here thinks everyone wants BC lol. I very rarely check availability for any DVC rentals since the dates never line up, that's always my issue. Maybe when kids and works aren't dictating the calendar it might work out.

We almost always stay in a 1BR villa (BRV or CC) but book directly through Disney because we stay anywhere from 12-14 nights and it is nearly impossible to find an owner with that many points to rent, and who can actually put together a reservation for that long or who even wants to attempt the effort (no split stays). We have been lucky and have been able to get a discount on the villa through Disney. It's definitely more than renting points, but we get what we want when we want it and can cancel if needed. And we don't like the BC! I think it's my least favorite resort I've stayed in so far.

Great thoughts and it shows how important it is to really understand how DVC works and how itI doesn’t, especially in comparison to booking hotels via Disney.

We never rented before becoming owners because we didn’t like the options for resorts but also because we didn’t like the inflexible nature of it and realized paying cash was better if we had to cancel a trip…worth the extra!

Renting is not going to work for everyone as you point out and studios have been extremely difficult to book many times of the year, even for owners, at the popular resorts!

Important to nite that even if you look at availability tools, they only report room availability. An owner with points must be available to book the unit, and no tool will show you how bad an agency's waitlist for an owner is.

Thanks everyone. You are all so helpful and patient explaining this! As I said I’m totally green here so will either have to do tons of research or just book a hotel.
Some have said that they don’t rent or use a broker but rather “get directly from Disney “. Do you mean just book a Disney resort on the website? Or is there a way to get a DVC rental from Disney? Thanks!!

If you are not too picky, AND can plan 11 months out, you will have plenty of opportunities to arrange a point rental transaction with an owner...

Thanks everyone. You are all so helpful and patient explaining this! As I said I’m totally green here so will either have to do tons of research or just book a hotel.
Some have said that they don’t rent or use a broker but rather “get directly from Disney “. Do you mean just book a Disney resort on the website? Or is there a way to get a DVC rental from Disney? Thanks!!
You can book villas via the Disney website. There will not be a cost savings as there is when you work with timeshare owners. But you do benefit from having a generous cancellation policy, which you do not get with DVC rentals.

If I am looking just for a studio however, it sounds like those book quicker.
Studios will often book up at 11 months out, so plan early. I rented some points out last month, for trips about 6 months out. Some of the rentals were studios, but they were only for a night ot two, and mostly on weekends, which take more points.

For both DVC Members and renters, it is best to plan abd book as early as possible, general right at 11 months you will be successful.

Studios will often book up at 11 months out, so plan early. I rented some points out last month, for trips about 6 months out. Some of the rentals were studios, but they were only for a night ot two, and mostly on weekends, which take more points.

For both DVC Members and renters, it is best to plan abd book as early as possible, general right at 11 months you will be successful.
Thank you, this is helpful. I am less than 11 months (but not to 9 months yet) so I could be too late anyway. I may just need to budget the regular room for our stay.

Thank you, this is helpful. I am less than 11 months (but not to 9 months yet) so I could be too late anyway. I may just need to budget the regular room for our stay.
And it depends upon where you want to stay, OKW and SSR are large resorts, and often have studio availability longer than other resorts. I've also been successful booking Poly studios lake view) at 7 months out. And there is often availability for AKV-Kidani ...but usually the more expensive Savannah View.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter