DVC Point Charts for 2011 - Post chart release discussion begins on Pg 14

For us, we knew from the beginning that there could and probably would be a reallocation - we purchased in 1/09 and added on in 12/09. We knew that we had so X amount of points and once I spent them (I am a DW and good at doing that) they were gone for the year or I could borrow. We typically travel wed-thur due to DH but not always. Flexibility is key and with that comes a price. We do own another timeshare in Mexico and it is always 8 days/7 nights - less flexibility. The great thing with DVC is that we can use as little or as much as we want each year. It is up to us on how we want to use the point chart. Just be glad that you have options for where you want to stay and where. PS - we have also gotten the best DVC properties on 4 weeks notice :) It can be done if you are flexible!

Can anybody tell me in terms of points what has become cheaper to book ? Looking at the 2011 points chart, most of the accomodation seems to require more points than the previous year. We bought enough points for 2 weeks in a savannah view studio in dream season (234) in 2008. The same vacation now costs 238 points and will be over 240 points in 2011. I realise that the overall number of points across the grid has stayed the same, I am just not sure what requires less points. Are the majority of people being disadvantaged by this reallocation of points or are we just unlucky ?:confused:

It just all depends.

I was comparing our upcoming December trip to the same timeframe in '11, and I almost wanted to switch it to next year b/c the points were lower. It just all depends on your exact plans.

Just a bit worried that my initial points purchase is being be eroded!

Well. the weekends for our summer trip (Magic Season) in a LV 1 bedroom at BLT went from 56 to 48, so a savings of 8 points a night.

Now, we can do our typical 5 night stay based on the cheaper airfare, without worrying too much about weekends.

I didn't do a comparison for the 2011 changes but for 2010 in a studio in Dream Season on a weekly basis the points decreased for an AKV Value studio, AKV Standard studio, for BLT Standard and LV studios and for a VWL studio.

Personally for the resorts and room sizes we book we have also been hit with increases but then I just look for accommodations that were less to start with if we need to conserve points. I don't like the changes but all we can do is adjust.

We were told that Disney reallocated the points twice to balance the occupancy.

For us we are short 33 points for our yearly stays.

Isn't it funny that Disney now accepts money to transfer up to 24 points to members each year when members can't accept money for transfers?

Why 24 points, why not 50? Is 24 the magical number that most members are short?

Just thinking out loud. :idea:

:earsboy: Bill

Isn't it funny that Disney now accepts money to transfer up to 24 points to members each year when members can't accept money for transfers?

Why 24 points, why not 50? Is 24 the magical number that most members are short?

24 was likely chosen since 25 is the minimum add on contract amount.

It gives Disney an out from those who would claim that the 25 point min. forced them to buy more points then they needed while trying to meet the new point requirements.

yes the average night at AKV went up about 1 point/nt between 2010 and 2011, with savanna views and CL going up more that standards.

bookwormde

Merged this thread with another, and the boards *glitched* The system did not leave a redirect, and did not "bump" the thread.

Sounds like there are members worse off than us! What has become apparent is that we will need to buy an add on at some point!

I understand the reasoning and so on, but as we try and plan out our vacations next year, I get more and more frustrated with the point distribution. Granted we have min pt contracts at 3 home resorts(our 4th has more than the min), but when we purchased them under the with 5 nights in a particular unit in mind - the way the DVC encouraged us to.

Again I understand the reasoning, but only being able to book 3, maybe 4 nights in a 2 bedroom during the summer is frustrating. Heck we can't even get 5 nights in a 1 bedroom now.

Sorry - just a vent.

We are pretty devastated by the new point structure for Adventures by Disney vacations using DVC points. For 2011, they eliminated value, regular, and peak point structures to all one set price that is close to peak for all dates. A couple of years ago they cut the early bird discount.

For us, they went from being affordable with our points to untouchable.

I have just penned my opinions about this change, and I urge other members to send in their thoughts as well:
DVCmembersatisfactionteam@disneyvacationclub.com

Thank you!

We are pretty devastated by the new point structure for Adventures by Disney vacations using DVC points. For 2011, they eliminated value, regular, and peak point structures to all one set price that is close to peak for all dates. A couple of years ago they cut the early bird discount.

For us, they went from being affordable with our points to untouchable.

I have just penned my opinions about this change, and I urge other members to send in their thoughts as well:
DVCmembersatisfactionteam@disneyvacationclub.com

Thank you!

I guess this is a perk of DVC membership versus ownership right. I, too, dislike some of the discounts and deals being taken away (like park passes 1991-2000), but at the end of the day it's a timshare ownership to use rooms at a specific resort and anything else is on top of that.

I don't disagree with the discontent, but like many things out there, it's a loss of "perk" versus right.

We did our ABD trip with cash instead of points. We've never had enough points to even look at ABD with points or cruising.

They are expensive vacations - we thought ours was well worth the money, but it wasn't an inexpensive trip for cash or points. And the nice thing about cash is if we like Tauck instead, we can do that instead of Disney.

I guess this is a perk of DVC membership versus ownership right. I, too, dislike some of the discounts and deals being taken away (like park passes 1991-2000), but at the end of the day it's a timshare ownership to use rooms at a specific resort and anything else is on top of that.

I don't disagree with the discontent, but like many things out there, it's a loss of "perk" versus right.

I wouldn't even call it the loss of a perk since members are still able to book ABD using points. The terms are just not as good. Or, more appropriately, even worse - I don't think they were ever really "good." I would assume that DVC wasn't able to negotiate cash rate that made the previous point structure work. (That suggests to me that ABD is doing pretty well, but that's a guess). Since DVC has to come up with the cash to pay for member trade-outs to ABD, there's no choice - up the point requirements so that the cash cost can be recouped, or stop offering trades.

Wasn't it in the paperwork up front that the park passes ended 12/31/99? I wouldn't call it "loss of perk" when it was a sales incentive with a stated end date. Only members who bought at OKW before mid-1996 were even offered it.

Well, for us it is particularly heartbreaking because we added onto our membership twice in anticipation of going on ABD at least once every 4 years. 2011 was going to be our first time, and then we wanted to do something really exotic, something we would have never imagined doing, in 2015.

I know we can rent our points and pay cash, but that comes with its own set of risks. Someone we rent to can damage the place at our expense, and on top of that, we probably have to pay income tax on the rental money we receive. We were trying to avoid hassles like these.

well, for us it is particularly heartbreaking because we added onto our membership twice in anticipation of going on abd at least once every 4 years. 2011 was going to be our first time, and then we wanted to do something really exotic, something we would have never imagined doing, in 2015.

I know we can rent our points and pay cash, but that comes with its own set of risks. Someone we rent to can damage the place at our expense, and on top of that, we probably have to pay income tax on the rental money we receive. We were trying to avoid hassles like these.

ouch!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter