• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DVC Members Can Now Add the Disney Dining Plan Online

Sure wish they'd at least bring back the DDP+ which gave 2 TS credits per day, 2 snacks and mug. Probably never will that short-lived plan.

We're holding out for the Deluxe DDP--3 TS/QS creds, 2 snacks and mug with TS lunch and dinner giving you appetizer-entree-dessert.

We oinked on that one, cashing in most snack creds for Karamell Küche popcorn to take home. Sure, it got a bit stale before we'd eaten it all but still darn tasty. Made great gifts for coworkers and friends. You could get either a small or large bag for 1cr.

Oh, well. Probably won't see that one's return either. <sigh>

We were going to do the QS one in January as my guests just wanted to be able to budget. But, after discussing, we decided to just take the amount of the plan, put it on gift cards for everyone, and see what happens.

Plus, we may decide we want to do more than just one TS meal...which we are doing our first day since it is January 8th and the plan doesn't start until the 9th.

The analyses I’ve seen would indicate that you have to try VERY hard to come out ahead. It’s possible but you’ll probably spend less money just buying what you’re hungry for.

It depends a great deal on your reasons for doing a dining plan, I think.

If "coming out ahead" isn't strictly monetary, you can find it exactly what you want as we do. Convenience can be very "worth it."

We tend to nickel-and-dime ourselves out of what we really want to eat when paying OOP. Somehow, OOP triggers frugality in us and makes ordering much less enjoyable because we feel we ought not order the most expensive dishes. On the Deluxe, we feel freer to order what appeals most, since it's already paid for.

We eat QS rarely so aren't putting creds on that usually, paying OOP for it instead. It really is a waste of money using the TS/QS credits on QS even though you can.

We both enjoy character meals and may do 4-6 in a week. Most were previously 1cr, a terrific value at the adult price. We enjoy CRT so consider its 2cr worth sacrificing a Signature meal.

That we prefer the DDP is largely ease and convenience, admittedly. To us it's coming out ahead in enjoyment. Isn't Disney primarily about enjoying yourselves as much as you can? We think so.

The dining plan just doesn't work for us. We aren't dessert people and rarely order it, yet the dining plan includes it. But we love appetizers and they aren't included so we have to pay extra for them. Sometimes they would allow us to substitute an appetizer for dessert, but it usually was just soup or a salad - not the good stuff :rolleyes:. We also eat a lot of meals in the various lounges. I don't even know how that would work with the dining plan - if it even does. The rigid structure of the DP just doesn't fit our dining style.

The one and only time we had the dining plan it was a cash booking and we got the "free" promotion. Even allowing that it was "free", using it was often annoying. We were there for Festival of the Holidays and spent a lot of time in Epcot. Back then (don't know if it's still the case) you were supposed to be able to swap one QS credit for 3 snack credits which could be used at the festival booths for most items. Almost every time we went to a booth and asked to use our QS credits they looked at us as if we had three heads. The CM almost always had to ask for help. It got old - really fast. We also aren't big snackers other than the festivals, so as for the normal snack credits we hardly ever used them. The very last day we were at DS and ended up getting a ton of non perishable junk to use them up. Thankfully, our son took all that crap back to college with him and shared with his roommates so it didn't end up on my thighs :goodvibes .

Can you make it work for you? Sure, but I'm guessing the majority of people would save money just paying as you go and not have to be locked into the rigid structure of the dining plans. I also suspect that getting ADR's is going to become harder than it already has been with the dining plan as people will make sure they book enough TS restaurants to make it "worth it".

We use to do the Dining Plan all the time, and now that they have eliminated one of the snacks per day on the 2 Plans it really cuts down on the value of it. Also, our oldest child is now a Disney Adult and we would have to pay the Adult price which she wouldn't eat enough for it.

We also have found that we much prefer to be able to pick what ever we want off the menu including the appetizers. My kids sometime just order an appetizer as their meal and it comes out cheaper.

Back then (don't know if it's still the case) you were supposed to be able to swap one QS credit for 3 snack credits which could be used at the festival booths for most items. Almost every time we went to a booth and asked to use our QS credits they looked at us as if we had three heads.

Yes, you could exchange a TS or QS credit for 3 snack ones back in the day. We did that a couple times, once when we'd miscalculated and had 1cr left after breakfast on departure day. We weren't hanging around long enough to use it for a meal so traded it in. The other occurred once when DH got a terrible BOG breakfast. Again, we had no other use for the single credit and traded it.

We never had any difficulty doing those trades at our resort's gift shop. I would have done that before heading to any festival kiosks where servers would possibly not be as familiar with such obscure procedures. Guest Services most likely could have done that, too.

Ok - so now we need to research to see if this new version is worth it?

The analyses I’ve seen would indicate that you have to try VERY hard to come out ahead. It’s possible but you’ll probably spend less money just buying what you’re hungry for.

Touring Plans recently posted a series of articles about the latest version of the dining plan. Lots of good information, enough so you can evaluate whether the plan will benefit your traveling party.

Disney in a Minute: What Is the Disney Dining Plan
https://touringplans.com/blog/disney-in-a-minute-what-is-the-disney-dining-plan/

Should You Buy the Disney Dining Plan?
https://touringplans.com/blog/should-you-buy-the-disney-dining-plan/

Disney Dining Plan: Will It End Up Costing You More?
https://touringplans.com/blog/disney-dining-plan-will-it-end-up-costing-you-more/

Think Twice Before Using Two Dining Credits on One Meal
https://touringplans.com/blog/think-twice-before-using-two-ddp-credits-on-one-meal/

Seven Things To Know When Thinking About the Disney Dining Plan
https://touringplans.com/blog/seven-things-to-know-when-thinking-about-the-disney-dining-plan/

Yes, you could exchange a TS or QS credit for 3 snack ones back in the day. We did that a couple times, once when we'd miscalculated and had 1cr left after breakfast on departure day. We weren't hanging around long enough to use it for a meal so traded it in. The other occurred once when DH got a terrible BOG breakfast. Again, we had no other use for the single credit and traded it.

We never had any difficulty doing those trades at our resort's gift shop. I would have done that before heading to any festival kiosks where servers would possibly not be as familiar with such obscure procedures. Guest Services most likely could have done that, too.
Or I could just go to the festival, order whatever the heck I want, pay for it and call it a day.

It depends a great deal on your reasons for doing a dining plan, I think.

If "coming out ahead" isn't strictly monetary, you can find it exactly what you want as we do. Convenience can be very "worth it."

We tend to nickel-and-dime ourselves out of what we really want to eat when paying OOP. Somehow, OOP triggers frugality in us and makes ordering much less enjoyable because we feel we ought not order the most expensive dishes. On the Deluxe, we feel freer to order what appeals most, since it's already paid for.

We eat QS rarely so aren't putting creds on that usually, paying OOP for it instead. It really is a waste of money using the TS/QS credits on QS even though you can.

We both enjoy character meals and may do 4-6 in a week. Most were previously 1cr, a terrific value at the adult price. We enjoy CRT so consider its 2cr worth sacrificing a Signature meal.

That we prefer the DDP is largely ease and convenience, admittedly. To us it's coming out ahead in enjoyment. Isn't Disney primarily about enjoying yourselves as much as you can? We think so.
I agree, we usually get sticker shock when going to theme parks and end up buying the cheapest offering or share and not bother getting a dessert or specialty drink etc... It is nice just to get what you want without worrying about the cost as it has already been paid for in the vacation cost.

Not a big fan of adding the alcoholic beverage to the meal plan. We will probably only use it for one drink, so it's kind of wasteful for us. Our last trip in June quite a few restaurants gave us 20% off. So, we may not add it to our next trip or maybe just the QS.

Not a big fan of adding the alcoholic beverage to the meal plan. We will probably only use it for one drink, so it's kind of wasteful for us. Our last trip in June quite a few restaurants gave us 20% off. So, we may not add it to our next trip or maybe just the QS.
I agree. The idea of drinking alcohol when I’m melting in the sun and barely keeping my hydration above the absolute minimum sounds awful to me. But of course YMMV.

Not a big fan of adding the alcoholic beverage to the meal plan. We will probably only use it for one drink, so it's kind of wasteful for us.

Not sure I understand why you think the alcohol option is a waste for you.

Adults 21+ can order alcohol as their DDP drink but get a choice of tea, coffee or a soft drink instead if they prefer.

:confused3

Not sure I understand why you think the alcohol option is a waste for you.

Adults 21+ can order alcohol as their DDP drink but get a choice of tea, coffee or a soft drink instead if they prefer.

:confused3
Because the dining plan always included a soft drink. Alcoholic drinks average $10-$15. So, for 7 days with 3 of us on the dining plan this adds at least $200 for something I won't use. If you don't drink it's not worth it IMO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter