• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DVC Member Exclusive: Disney Wish Sailing 14 June 2022

Any speculation about what the points cost will be? And if they will allow more than 50 percent borrowing? Wondering if I might have enough for an inside cabin.

When they say that one person needs to be booked on points, does that need to be an adult or can I use points for my infant and pay the rest in cash?

I'm tempted, but I honestly don't think I could go on a 3 night cruise. Especially with the amount of $$ and points I assume this MC will cost. We did 4 night cruises for years, then started doing the 8 nights and 7 nights out of NYC. Not sure if I could go back to doing 4 nights, never mind 3 nights, it would feel like we just got on, only to have to pack up and get off.

I also noticed that they are not calling it a "Member Cruise." And nothing about gifts or special entertainment. So maybe it's just a regular cruise but only for DVC members? Hmmm.

I agree that this sounds like a way to soak up points. I know that in theory, points used to book cruises are exchanged for villa reservations, but I wonder if they can legally get around that since after a certain point, the members don't benefit from cash bookings, anyway.

I also noticed that they are not calling it a "Member Cruise." And nothing about gifts or special entertainment. So maybe it's just a regular cruise but only for DVC members? Hmmm.

I agree that this sounds like a way to soak up points. I know that in theory, points used to book cruises are exchanged for villa reservations, but I wonder if they can legally get around that since after a certain point, the members don't benefit from cash bookings, anyway.

The only way that a DVC villa does not get sent for cash is if DCL agreed to give DVC the bookings for free.

In order for DVC owners to book with points, DVCM has to pay DCL for the room. They will not be using their own funds to do that,

I do not think this is a way to eat up points, but rather a way for them to have something to entice people to buy direct points. It becomes another point that can be brought up,

Honestly, we want to add on some more direct points anyway and this has me thinking of doing it sooner rather than later, regardless of whether it is the best use of points.

The only way that a DVC villa does not get sent for cash is if DCL agreed to give DVC the bookings for free.

In order for DVC owners to book with points, DVCM has to pay DCL for the room. They will not be using their own funds to do that,
Villas were closed for 4 months. VGC for over a year. If all those points were banked, there are not nearly enough rooms for all those points. Who pays for that? Will DVC just wait for all of us to revolt when we can’t use them before they expire? This way, the cruise soaks up a lot of points, at such a poor value that they get them out of the system for cheap.

I think we’ll try for the inaugural. DW has 20 cruises, so we can book Day 2. Hoping there is still availability...

Is this just their attempt to get some of the current glut of dvc points out of the system to ease availability?

Thats exactly what I was thinking. I did some rough math based on the 2022 chart for a regular three-night cruise peak season. No way am I paying over $2,500 in points for a three night and it’ll likely be a lot more than that for the member cruise on Wish. It’s not that I don’t have the points, it’s the principle. Not only that, it’s way too short to experience the ship the way I’d like to, so we’ll wait to see if a longer itinerary is offered in ‘23.

I do not think this is a way to eat up points, but rather a way for them to have something to entice people to buy direct points. It becomes another point that can be brought up,

Honestly, we want to add on some more direct points anyway and this has me thinking of doing it sooner rather than later, regardless of whether it is the best use of points.

Why? You can just use your points to book any cruise on the Disney Wish with less restrictions...and probably a lower price.

Villas were closed for 4 months. VGC for over a year. If all those points were banked, there are not nearly enough rooms for all those points. Who pays for that? Will DVC just wait for all of us to revolt when we can’t use them before they expire? This way, the cruise soaks up a lot of points, at such a poor value that they get them out of the system for cheap.

Its a timeshare. It’s not DVCMs responsibility to ensure no one loses points. They simply manage the program for us as owners

They were not even required to do what they did in giving owners points they own to extend last year and now doing for international owners.

Again, trades to the Disney collection require rooms to go with them to pay for those options, including cruises.

DCL hasn’t sailed in over a year. Not sure why they would be willing to give DVC owners a free cruise? They have lost millions if not billions.

You have what was considered an act of god that closed WDW DVC for 3 months, AUL for 8 months and VGC for 13....although some do believe VGC should have opened sooner which is was supposed to.

Frustrating yes, but something we all have to deal with. The 50% borrowing did keep some points out of this year and not adjusting banking does help. In the end, though, no easy fix.

Why? You can just use your points to book any cruise on the Disney Wish with less restrictions...and probably a lower price.

Because the agreement to use the Disney collection requires those to be paid by DVCM renting the villas and paying for the cruise.

Any change to that agreement would mean DCL agreeing to modify it.

The point I was referring to was that having a special cruise option to use points does not help leave villas in the DVC system for owners to use.

We are seriously considering doing the DVC cruise on the wish if the point cost isn’t too much for the one guest and then pay cash for the others. We just dislike that it’s only a 3 day cruise. We have a Hawaii cruise on NCL freedom of the seas planned that we rescheduled from this summer. It’s a tough decision because next year my son will be 17 and it will be his last opportunity to sail and go to the teen club 🥲. I’m hoping it’s not crazy expensive and we can do both.

Because the agreement to use the Disney collection requires those to be paid by DVCM renting the villas and paying for the cruise.

Any change to that agreement would mean DCL agreeing to modify it.

The point I was referring to was that having a special cruise option to use points does not help leave villas in the DVC system for owners to use.

No, Im asking why its enticing for you to buy points direct specifically for this cruise. I understand the ins and outs of the program.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter