DVC MagicBands & Discounts Question

hayanyujah847

It looks like a ton of fun!
Hi All! I searched a bit but couldn't find this answer so apologies if it's been asked/answered prior.

Do I need the DVC slider on my magic band to receive discounts on food & merchandise? Or do I simply let them know when checking out & they scan the MagicBand then are able to see I'm DVC?

Thanks so much!

You need to show your new blue DVC Member ID Card & Photo ID to receive any available discount.

We were at WDW last week and used the DVC discount a lot. CMs never looked for a slider, but sure did want that membership card (and picture ID).

I was at the Boardwalk store yesterday and the cm was giving a woman a hard time because she had the old DVC member card, not the new one. She claimed she never got a new one. Not sure what finally happened, I went to a different register.

You can also take a screenshot of your id card from your dvc account and show it instead of the actual card.. It's good for 3 months after taking the screenshot. You'll still need to show your drivers' license with it.

We recently returned from a stay. Every time we made use of a DVC or AP discount, we were asked to show the relevant card. For DVC discounts, I was also asked for a photo ID.

One would think that they would have included these things in the magic bands with the millions they spent on the project. I'm sure they decided that they would save money by guests not remembering to bring their cards and thus decline the discount.

It also blows my mind that they have a cast member out scanning bands before early magic hours to check if they are staying onsite that day. Why doesn't it just determine that when scanning at the turnstile?

Your magic band doesn't have a picture. So it isn't "picture ID."

A DVC member could give their band to someone else. Or someone else could try to use it. Without asking for picture ID, anyone could get the discount.

In addition, DVC information isn't on the same system as the magic bands.

Really, it's exactly the reason they don't allow Magic Band to work as ID for anything else. It's not an ID.

In the world of Disney, DVC is really, really small potatoes. They aren't going to pay for website and software changes unless it some how makes them money. Even the online check in room requests for DVC don't match the DVC resorts.

:earsboy: Bill

I agree that it is not an ID. So why does Disney not require an ID to be shown to use the band when charging to a credit card on file? They seem to have no problem forgoing the ID when they are receiving money, but require it when they are giving out a discount. I find this hypocritical. Also, what do they do for someone who doesn't have an ID such as a teenager that does't have a license yet?

If I were to spend $1 billion dollars on a system, I would expect it to be able to recognize if someone was staying on site that day, has an annual pass, and yes even communicate with the DVC system. I guess a billion doesn't get you what it once did.

I agree that it is not an ID. So why does Disney not require an ID to be shown to use the band when charging to a credit card on file? They seem to have no problem forgoing the ID when they are receiving money, but require it when they are giving out a discount. I find this hypocritical. Also, what do they do for someone who doesn't have an ID such as a teenager that does't have a license yet?

If I were to spend $1 billion dollars on a system, I would expect it to be able to recognize if someone was staying on site that day, has an annual pass, and yes even communicate with the DVC system. I guess a billion doesn't get you what it once did.

The teenager is not the member so they would not count anyway.

The teenager is not the member so they would not count anyway.

Correct, but they are annual pass holders and should have the same perks as any annual pass holder. The system to buy something with a discount is the same for AP and DVC.

A merchant is required to see an ID if a credit card is being used and does not have a signature. Isn't this happening each time the band is used to charge as there is no card to see an ID. Why do they disregard this and require the ID on the discount?

They could feasibly add egible discounts to your magic bands. But in order to get around people handing them off to their friends, they'd have to scan your fingerprint to verify it's you. It would be really expensive for them to add a fingerprint scanner to every cash register at WDW. I don't really blame them for not doing that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter