DVC has stopped returning borrowed points to original use year

You mean other than the update on the members website?

I just spoke to MS in another regards and asked about unborrowing of points when it came to corona impacted reservations. The MS reached out to a supervisor and said that it wasn’t allowed anymore. I referenced the text on the member site and she looked it up. She confirmed my suspicion that it is a mistake. However she would contact the department in charge of updating the text on the member site to ensure what was correct.

IMO as long as the text is there MS HAVE to make an exception and unborrow the points.

I just spoke to MS in another regards and asked about unborrowing of points when it came to corona impacted reservations. The MS reached out to a supervisor and said that it wasn’t allowed anymore. I referenced the text on the member site and she looked it up. She confirmed my suspicion that it is a mistake. However she would contact the department in charge of updating the text on the member site to ensure what was correct.

IMO as long as the text is there MS HAVE to make an exception and unborrow the points.

Wow. But maybe it’s just for March ?? But that is crazy. Of course not all CMs have the same knowledge so I’d also be cautious as others have had success today and told its back on.

I only asked about corona impacted reservations in my mind that meant reservations until end of March.

I see that as different because before parks closed was told that it was business as usual even though things were happening. It wasn’t until the parks cloSed that I was told holding would be waived.

Mistake or not, I think they won’t take it back but limit it to resort closing times. But then again I’m not in charge!! Lol

Also just got off with member services. My dates are April 11-13. They advised that since "at this time" the resort is not closed for those dates they would be returned to current use year, not the year they were borrowed from. Basically, if they resort isn't closed for your dates, normal rules apply (except for the holding maybe?). No harm in waiting until they officially close and then hope we can get them moved back to the original use year.

I talked to a CM yesterday morning and told me this was not possible that my points would stay in 2019 year even though they were borrowed from 2020. I let her know I followed exactly what DVC outlined should be done in order to get the points back in the 2020 use year but instead of talking to somebody right away I sent an email since my reservation was not until 3/20. She said things have changed but she saw she could switch up some points that are used for an august 2020 trip and was able to put 25 points back into 2020 use year. She was nice about everything but I do not think I would have had points placed back into the 2020 use year without having a separate reservation this year.
I don't understand your post. You talked to a CM yesterday, 3/18/2020 about a check in date of 3/20/2020? you knew the parks and resorts were all closed? Did you really wait that long to talk to someone, or are the dates you stated incorrect?

I don't understand your post. You talked to a CM yesterday, 3/18/2020 about a check in date of 3/20/2020? you knew the parks and resorts were all closed? Did you really wait that long to talk to someone, or are the dates you stated incorrect?

I think she sent an email last week about it and didn’t wait to call until 3/18 as others were checking in earlier than that.

As of right now, it’s still there. So I think it’s in force.

I think she sent an email last week about it and didn’t wait to call until 3/18 as others were checking in earlier than that.
And "CM yesterday morning and told me this was not possible that my points would stay in 2019 year even though they were borrowed from 2020."
OK, so the CM told you it was not possible the would stay in 2019 use year.
Isn't that good news? It sounds like they will be returned to your 2020 use year.

I think in cases like this DVC is like a huge oil-tanker it takes quite awhile from a decision is made till you see it being implemented.

Yes, true, but if the website is wrong, it’s an easy fix. It wasnt there yesterday morning and showed up last night so taking that Down would not be hard,

Too many people reporting that they are being told this is indeed the policy again. But it is only for March.

Honestly, I don’t think they know what to do,

Yes, true, but if the website is wrong, it’s an easy fix. It wasnt there yesterday morning and showed up last night so taking that Down would not be hard,

Too many people reporting that they are being told this is indeed the policy again. But it is only for March.

Honestly, I don’t think they know what to do,

Ooh so you think that other owners now believe that this is the policy going forward that points can be unborrowed?

Ooh so you think that other owners now believe that this is the policy going forward that points can be unborrowed?

For March reservations, yes, That notice is for what is happening during the resort closure, nothing more.

People are being told today that they went back to the policy of last week, Last week, people who canceled reservations for the two weeks in March got borrowed points restored.

Monday, Tuesday, and yesterday morning, CMs said they were not doing it anymore.

Then this showed up last night. CMs have confirmed with multiple people that have March trips, borrowed points are being returned again,

If the trip is outside the closing dates, normal rules apply

No everything I posted was correct. Maybe read it again? I followed the advice that DVC first stated, your reservation will automatically be cancelled and the points will be put back into the original year they were taken from. When i noticed that did not happen, I contacted them and was told otherwise. I am happy they figured out how to make sure I can still use those points. I posted that they found a way to help me out so that others may be able to use the same way. Being a troll on the disboards usually is not allowed, not sure why you are on here if you are just looking to cause problems.

Also just got off with member services. My dates are April 11-13. They advised that since "at this time" the resort is not closed for those dates they would be returned to current use year, not the year they were borrowed from. Basically, if they resort isn't closed for your dates, normal rules apply (except for the holding maybe?). No harm in waiting until they officially close and then hope we can get them moved back to the original use year.

This is pretty much the conversation I had with someone this morning as well. Our trip is 4/30-5/9 so we are just waiting to see what happens.

Man, I would really like to be a fly on the wall with those executives.

Yes, we will. Wait, no lets keep things in place. On third thought, maybe we should do relax this rule,

What I think happened (as I have saw this in other industries with certain things) is that someone took it upon themselves to make a call when they didn't have authority to do so.

The actual people that have the right to make the call tell them to stop it immediately or they are terminated. Then go back to their legal teams to figure out what they can do.

Legal possibly said even if its against the rules it would actually be worse to reverse course because those who had not had a chance to take advantage of the loophole would have more cause to seek compensation.

It likely wasn't a back and forth from upper management but instead some low level or mid range manager making a call spinning this out of control. Whoever is likely in hot water right now is who everyone should thank that has taken advantage of this loop hole.

So I have a ressie 4/17-21 for the Star Wars Half Marathon, which was just cancelled, and almost all of my points were borrowed. Since I'm already within the 30-day window, I'm going to wait to see if and when the resort closure is extended into April. I'm hoping that returning borrowed points to their original year will continue into April once the overall decision is made.

Sounds like they changed there minds again
This flipping back and forth is making my head hurt!

So I have a ressie 4/17-21 for the Star Wars Half Marathon, which was just cancelled, and almost all of my points were borrowed. Since I'm already within the 30-day window, I'm going to wait to see if and when the resort closure is extended into April. I'm hoping that returning borrowed points to their original year will continue into April once the overall decision is made.

I'm right there with you. I can't believe they've only cancelled the resorts until the end of the month. IMO it's pretty ridiculous. There is no magical thinking that is going to make COVID-19 go away in 10 days. I guess they haven't been watching the news about CA and NY. We are in day 7 of isolation with no end in sight. The most hopeful estimates I've heard are 2-3 months. For my RunDisney April reservation, I have both borrowed points and points that are past the banking deadline (June use year), so I'm hopeful they will find a fair way to address people who aren't able to use their points due to resort closures through May/June/Whenever. At a minimum I'd want my dues back for the points I've been blocked for using for 2018 use year and my 2019 returned to the year they were borrowed from.

The notice has been updated a little bit on the website. It still says they are not changing banking rules, but it now says they are discussing in but can’t make any decisions about it yet. But they recognize people are especially vulnerable who are at The end of the UY.

So, I think that is good news that they know they have to address it and have to figure out a way. The bad news is I think it’s a good sign they know that this is not ending in 11 days and have to figure out a longer range plan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter