DVC eliminates perks for resale

We have been DVC members for 5-6 years now. We got our points off of resale. I think Disney is really going to do some damage to their DVC purchases here and would not be surprised if they reverse this decision. But at the same time Disney is in a big money grab right now so at the same time who knows.

We have been DVC members for 5-6 years now. We got our points off of resale. I think Disney is really going to do some damage to their DVC purchases here and would not be surprised if they reverse this decision. But at the same time Disney is in a big money grab right now so at the same time who knows.

They've overpriced the points...just like they've overpriced the deluxe rack rates...

Once you do that...it's hard to gain any ground back.

There's still no incentive to not keep the cash for the resale difference.

Look at it this way:

If I bought at Boardwalk in 1998 for say - $60 a point...and now they try to sell me the poly for $175? More?

Here how that goes:

"wow...it's a lot more...better amenities now, right?"

DVC: "No...less actually..."

"Better location, right?"

DVC: "Well...not really"

"The rooms are bigger though..."

DVC: "actually smaller"

"But my points go farther, right?"

DVC: "no...shorter...we keep increasing the point charts for comparable/smaller spaces"

"Well are there at least tvs in the crappers?!?"

DVC: "yes!!! In a few spots! ...why are we still talking? I'll get the paperwork."

I guess 1 outta 5 ain't bad :)

They've overpriced the points...just like they've overpriced the deluxe rack rates...

Once you do that...it's hard to gain any ground back.

There's still no incentive to not keep the cash for the resale difference.

Look at it this way:

If I bought at Boardwalk in 1998 for say - $60 a point...and now they try to sell me the poly for $175? More?

Here how that goes:

"wow...it's a lot more...better amenities now, right?"

DVC: "No...less actually..."

"Better location, right?"

DVC: "Well...not really"

"The rooms are bigger though..."

DVC: "actually smaller"

"But my points go farther, right?"

DVC: "no...shorter...we keep increasing the point charts for comparable/smaller spaces"

"Well are there at least tvs in the crappers?!?"

DVC: "yes!!! In a few spots! ...why are we still talking? I'll get the paperwork."

I guess 1 outta 5 ain't bad :)

You are so very right and this is one of the funniest things I've seen in awhile!!! Thank you for the laugh :worship::worship::worship::worship:

Glad I got out membership in under the wire late last year, as I suspected more restrictions were coming (based on how far Resale vs Direct is continuing to diverge).

Us too. We bought resale last year. While I love our DVC membership, I would never spend the money to buy directly from Disney.

Ouch...one thing that just occurred to me is: does that mean no ticket discounts?

If true...that one will leave a mark

Us too. We bought resale last year. While I love our DVC membership, I would never spend the money to buy directly from Disney.

I get the feeling they're starting to hear that a lot...

It's what happens when you make quarterly decisions in a 45 year business.

I see the path now: increase the prices of the "premium" sites and build "value" blocks of DVC at less desirable locations, sell it for $125, and pat everyone on the back for a "great deal"

Ouch...one thing that just occurred to me is: does that mean no ticket discounts?

My understanding is that it does mean no discount tickets for resale contracts moving forward. That is the one perk that I would really miss. We bought 3 APs with the DVC discount. Other than that, we did use the discount for purchases, but we get a discount at some locations anyway with the Chase Disney card. We went to the Top of the World Lounge because we stayed at BLT. Many of the "perks", you have to live local or just get lucky on the timing of your trips for the special events.

See - for all those people who have said, "When you buy DVC, you're only buying future vacations to Disney - know what you bought, and nothing more. Don't rely on perks. That's not what you bought." Well, I tell ya, Disney SELLS the perks as a benefit to DVC ownership. And this is proof. And when they start taking away benefits, I don't want to hear from people who tell me that I only bought the use of my points in the future. They push the benefits and perks hard during the sales pitch and it was part of the package when I bought in.

I snooze I lose. I guess I'll never DVC ;).

If you hadn't gotten around to it by now...I don't think you were gonna ;)

On a side note...what happened to that clown that used to go on every DVC thread and put "haha...I do much better with my free dining than any of you DVC fools ever could!!!"

I miss him :)

See - for all those people who have said, "When you buy DVC, you're only buying future vacations to Disney - know what you bought, and nothing more. Don't rely on perks. That's not what you bought." Well, I tell ya, Disney SELLS the perks as a benefit to DVC ownership. And this is proof. And when they start taking away benefits, I don't want to hear from people who tell me that I only bought the use of my points in the future. They push the benefits and perks hard during the sales pitch and it was part of the package when I bought in.

Agree...and as I stated when I was moving across the trench lines in those battle threads: That was silly excuse making for DVC/ Disney and those making it were delusional or lying in the mirror to serve their corporate lords.

But "I bought a room", right?

Clowns.

My understanding is that it does mean no discount tickets for resale contracts moving forward. That is the one perk that I would really miss. We bought 3 APs with the DVC discount. Other than that, we did use the discount for purchases, but we get a discount at some locations anyway with the Chase Disney card. We went to the Top of the World Lounge because we stayed at BLT. Many of the "perks", you have to live local or just get lucky on the timing of your trips for the special events.

The other perks are comparatively minor...the ticket one is HUGE. It could equate to $500 plus per year per contract...for "average" travelers

That's definitely the biggest perk on the table. Current owners are grandfathered though so I guess so long as you keep the minimum number of points you're good.

I'll be curious to see if there's an immediate impact on resale prices. Someone was just patting themselves on the back about what their investment was worth too...

I'm surprised that Disney ever let resale buyers have all the perks. This news reaffirms my decision to never buy any kind of timeshare. Once you've bought in, you've given up a significant amount of control over your vacations to someone else, someone who may not have your best interests at heart.

Right now I can't disagree with you.

It's just simple numbers...

You can go right now and get a resale contract for 50% of the DVC price with 80% of the use remaining.

DVC can preach 11 month Windows all the want ( which is slimey because they rarely mentioned it the first 20 years)...but math always wins the argument.

That's definitely the biggest perk on the table. Current owners are grandfathered though so I guess so long as you keep the minimum number of points you're good.

I'll be curious to see if there's an immediate impact on resale prices. Someone was just patting themselves on the back about what their investment was worth too...

Are you saying that vacations...like HOMES...are not an investment?

Yep...you get the Medal, sir :)

I never understood the "you only bought a vacation"; or "you only paid for a room" arguments. Disney obviously places a value on the perks, just as they place a value on DME and EMH for hotel guests. Those things aren't "thrown in for free". All Disney has to do is remove them (or start charging extra for them) and people will realize this.

I never understood the "you only bought a vacation"; or "you only paid for a room" arguments. Disney obviously places a value on the perks, just as they place a value on DME and EMH for hotel guests. Those things aren't "thrown in for free". All Disney has to do is remove them (or start charging extra for them) and people will realize this.

Oh boy...there have been some doozy back and forth arguments with that being the crutch of the Disney defense...

It's sanctimonious and not terribly enlightened thought.

If you wanted to buy a gold AP...but Disney eliminates your discount because of your "lesser" DVC contact...the difference to a platinum for any old schmoe would be $700 or so dollars for a family of 4

Last edited:
I doubts this is a massive deal. I think we will see a lot of new resale owners buying a 25 point direct contract afterwards.

I doubts this is a massive deal. I think we will see a lot of new resale owners buying a 25 point direct contract afterwards.

Lol...and how long before they tie that off...

225 Saratoga resale...25 wilderness lodge...40 years of discounts?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter