DVC "Deluxe Studio" villa - breakfasts/snacks you've prepared.

crazymomof4

DIS Veteran
Since dining options/transportation to and from other resorts are limited. Plus parks opening later, closing sooner. I'm wondering if I shouldn't be prepared (and pack accordingly) to eat more in our room.

Staying DVC first time. So the "kichenette" experience is new to me. In the past I've only ever packed granola bars to keep in the room for quick breakfast before heading for rope drop. With a kitchenette, I think there should be more options. I'm sure others, who stay regularly in DVC villas, have an expanded menu beyond granola bars.

Would be interested in hearing any tips/ideas for tasty breakfasts and snacks in our villa.

We stayed in a studio once and had a kitchenette as well. You'll have a microwave, mini fridge and a toaster. I don't remember what kind of dishes they had, we just bought paper plates. We had a car and stopped for groceries, but if you won't have a car, there are grocery delivery services in Orlando you can order from. There's also a few car services (Tony Hinds is one) that will include a complimentary 30 minute grocery stop on your way from the airport to your resort. Might be worth utilizing one of these services just to get the groceries.

For breakfast, we had bagels, muffins, and pop tarts. For lunches, we had sandwiches (bought lunch meat and bread) with chips and we bought a bowl of pre-cut mixed fruit that fit in the mini fridge. We also had cereal and milk and had that either for breakfast or lunch. We purchased bottled water and drinks as well. We wanted things that was easy to store, would keep well for the week of our vacation, would be filling, and also be quick and easy to make or put together in our kitchenette.

Breakfast - Jimmy Dean Simple Scrambles, bagels, english muffins, cereal, eggs and bacon
Lunch - sandwiches (pb&j or lunchmeat), hot dogs, mac&cheese cups
Dinner - spaghetti and frozen meatballs is surprisingly easy to make with just a microwave - just let the meatballs thaw in the fridge as you might not have freezer anyway

We order from Amazon Fresh

We did bagels, cereal and fruit. My kids like their bagels toasted so it was nice having the toaster. Oatmeal would work too.

We didn’t do much else “cooking” but it was nice bringing leftovers back and microwaving them in the room. One morning I had my leftover ribeye from ESPN while DD slept in. I rarely eat like that at home but anything goes while on vacation.

If we ever do a studio again, and it’s our family of 4, I would do lunch meat and chips for sandwiches. That’s something quick to make and take poolside. Also Mac and cheese cups and my kids prefer their hot dogs grilled or microwaved so we could do that too.

We use amazon prime for delivery.

Last edited:
The trick is to remember it's a mini-fridge. It won't hold much.

We do similar to mi*vida*loca in that we bring bagels (laughing cow cheese wedges spread easily and - despite how they're stored in the grocery store - don't have to be refrigerated until you've opened the little package with the actual wedge of cheese), snacks for the room and enjoy being able to take advantage of leftovers or to bring home that slice of Hummingbird Cake from Homecomin' we were absolutely too full to eat. :-)

Breakfast: Ore Ida Just Crack an Egg, yogurt, overnight oats/instant oatmeal cups. We keep coffee filters at home specifically to pack for our DVC trips and bring our own coffee grounds.

We're almost never around the room at lunch time, but my dad always requests hot dogs to microwave for a midnight snack haha. We focus more on having carrots with hummus, pretzels, and other snacky items than cooking actual dinners in the studios.

We eat breakfast every day in our villa. We do mostly bagels, cereal, fruit and such but usually one day each trip we’ll make egg sandwiches. We also have uncrustables and lunchables on hand. We’re never in the room for lunch or dinner. We drive so we hit the grocery store after we check in but you can order garden grocer or something similar for food delivery. We also bring large zip lock bags with us and when we don’t finish something We pack it up to reheat later, and we load up on stuff frI’m les halles for breakfast the next day.

If you're driving, pack up your electric frying pan. Otherwise a microwaveable bowl will do for making scrambled eggs or even an omelet. You can always get ham or turkey in the store (not too bad) for sandwiches and also frozen dinners.

We ordered from Amazon last November when we stayed in a studio. We usually have english muffins, bagels or overnight oatmeal for breakfast. I packed my own chia seeds and small round containers and bought almond milk and quick-cook oatmeal. We always have coffee and fruit for breakfast too. We buy cheese and crackers and hummus and pita chips for snacks. We rarely eat lunch or dinner in our villa.

Google some recipes for quiche in a mug. Made in the microwave. Takes less than 2 minutes. You can add whatever you have on hand to make the eggs interesting, leftover steak or chicken, veggies, cheese. Easy and tasty.

Please don’t use an electric frying pan in the studio. It’s against regulations but it’s also gross. The room isn’t set up to ventilate actual cooking and it makes the room funky.

My SIL mentioned doing this at All Stars to save money on food. I told her that wasn’t cool for the next guests.

just crack an egg breakfasts are pretty good.

we are local so we make a bunch of mini mickey waffles before we leave and pop them in the toaster.

depending on what resort you are staying at you might also have access to a grill.

If you don't have a car, give Instacart a try. You can order from Publix. We did the Instacart/Publix orders twice when we were down there for Thanksgiving. You can also get eggs, lunch meat, bread, cereal, bagels, etc at the mini marts in the resorts.

Although the fridge is a "mini", don't count out lunch meat (doesn't take up much space). It is easy to do a grilled ham/cheese by toasting your bread, putting the meat/cheese on it, then microwaving it for 30 seconds to get the meat/cheese warmed up.

Agree with searching for what you can do in a microwave. Just make sure you pack the appropriate bowls (good sturdy plastic or corelle ware) since all you get in a studio are paper products.

Enjoy.

If you're driving, pack up your electric frying pan. Otherwise a microwaveable bowl will do for making scrambled eggs or even an omelet. You can always get ham or turkey in the store (not too bad) for sandwiches and also frozen dinners.
No electric frying pans in the studios. Not permitted.

But Egg McMuffins are. Cook the egg, toast the English Muffin, heat of the sausage pattie, throw on a slice of cheese.

Bagels, cereal, deli meat, sandwich bread. You can usually get condiments at the parks, but I don't know if you can right now.

Usually we get the deli meat and sandwich bread from resort store. With a half gallon of milk and half gallon of OJ.

oooh! eggs! hadn't thought of those! Certainly can't pack. I assume I should find them available to buy in shops in AKL and BWI?
They sell them at the resorts. My husband jokes that the eggs they sell at WDW is one of the cheapest things you can buy -- :lmao:

Creamed chicken -- use canned chicken, frozen peas (you heat in the micro) and make an easy white sauce with milk/flour & butter. You need a bowl & wisk. Super easy in the micro.

The room isn’t set up to ventilate actual cooking and it makes the room funky.
...and this is being diplomatic.
I'm sure others, who stay regularly in DVC villas, have an expanded menu beyond granola bars.
Define “expanded”, I pack a jar of peanut butter (picky as to brand) & we grab a loaf of bread on the way into resort when we pick up fresh fruit, various beverages & snacks.

We switch it up with the Mickey Mouse Rice Krispie treats :).

Do tend to eat an early, hearty lunch as our main meal of the day, no complaints even from the kiddos as to starving.

Sandwich fixings for lunch. Potato chips, pickles, some lettuce and tomato for the sandwiches. Hummus and mini carrots, cut up celery. Cereal, eggo waffles and nut butter and jam. Got chocolate, tea, coffee, water, soft drinks, cookies. Grab and go fruit—oranges, bananas, raisins, fruit leather, prunes. Much of this does not need refrigeration. We eat dinner out when in a studio, but do breakfast, lunch and snacks in the room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter