DVC Club Level and Home Resort Survey

I also see it mostly as a well written summary of what was discussed here. It does overplay the home resort advantage at multiple resorts. Especially if DVD adds sold out resorts, availability for the trust will probably be terrible for those resorts. In the long run I believe it will make it harder to book during high demand seasons for everyone but as a consequence, outside of these periods, booking for legacy owners should become easier (with the overall number of points being fixed).

I didn't read that article super carefully, but it looked like a rehash of what we've been talking about here. I'm not sure there was anything new to it.
Correct.
It does overplay the home resort advantage at multiple resorts.
Not intentionally. It really comes down to what people would want from a Trust option. There's certainly some appeal in gaining 11 month access to 2-3 options at WDW (especially if one is the FtW cabins where people would be reluctant to stay all the time) plus Disneyland AND Aulani.

I've got a contract or two that I might roll into the Trust if the option exists and the price is right.

Especially if DVD adds sold out resorts, availability for the trust will probably be terrible for those resorts.
Agree completely. But that's also TBD so it didn't seem worth pounding on the notion too hard.

In the long run I believe it will make it harder to book during high demand seasons for everyone but as a consequence, outside of these periods, booking for legacy owners should become easier (with the overall number of points being fixed).
I think it all comes down to this: During high demand seasons, there are always people who are dissatisfied / don't get what they wanted. In a perfect world DVC would take a sound approach to the points it places in the trust to minimize that dissatisfaction. To use an extreme example, if the Trust debuts with 50% of its points (and availability) being at Aulani, there will be a lot of angry owners who cannot get the WDW and DL rooms they're hoping for. But if it's more along the lines of 20% each from Aulani, Poly, Riviera, FtW Cabins and Disneyland Hotel, people may be generally satisfied.

No, that doesn't mean everyone will get a Studio for the first week of December. Far from it. And if you have your heart set on a Riviera Tower Studio or a VDH garden room or an Aulani standard view, competition is likely to be even greater. But with the right balance, not overwhelmingly so. Not everyone wants exactly the same things.

It could prove to be an appealing alternative for people who are thinking "I want to visit Aulani or Disneyland every few years, but not often enough to buy points there." Is the advantage that much greater than just buying a deed somewhere and taking chances at 7 months? That remains to be seen.

In the end, I don't fear what this could do to me as a deeded owner. But I'm also not clear on what it could mean for a trust owner.

Having read the posts in this thread and other articles that are currently circulating in similar forums, I am grateful for my two VGF fixed weeks and wish my other floating week points were tied to fixed weeks.
We have 4 contracts totaling 471 points and 2 of them - for 321 of those points - are fixed weeks, 1 at Poly and 1 at RIV.

(We have another 50 pt contract at RIV and a 100 pt AKV contract that we were able to use to book 2 concierge dates for 2024, across UYs, but there are no fixed weeks for AKV sadly.)

At this point, we wouldn’t buy direct without attaching a fixed week to it; the benefit and security to do so is essentially cost free.

I just wonder how DVC decides who gets to use the points at the high demand resorts, and who get stuck with the low demand ones. Are they going to have a lottery, or a rotating calendar for owners in the trust????? If you have 300 points in the trust, can you use all 300 points at Poly or VGF at the start of the booking period. Or only 150 at Poly or VGF and 150 at SSR? I just don't get how the points will be distributed to the new trust owners.

I just wonder how DVC decides who gets to use the points at the high demand resorts, and who get stuck with the low demand ones....
The same as any other trust system. There is no 'decision'...whoever books first at the opening bell gets the ressie. Everyone else gets, "This villa is no longer available on the dates you requested" (or some such) and has to choose another villa type, location, or date.

I just wonder how DVC decides who gets to use the points at the high demand resorts, and who get stuck with the low demand ones. Are they going to have a lottery, or a rotating calendar for owners in the trust????? If you have 300 points in the trust, can you use all 300 points at Poly or VGF at the start of the booking period. Or only 150 at Poly or VGF and 150 at SSR? I just don't get how the points will be distributed to the new trust owners.

First come for server would be the easiest solution.

A trust is only going to benefit Disney. It will be used to dump low demand resorts into but tricking customers into thinking they will have be able to book high demand resorts/rooms at 11 months.

For example, say they only have 100 points at VGC, 1000 trust members all try to use those 100 points during the year, that is going to leave 999 members very disappointed.

Anyone who buys into this better be prepared to be booking SSR at 7 months most of the time.

First come for server would be the easiest solution.

A trust is only going to benefit Disney. It will be used to dump low demand resorts into but tricking customers into thinking they will have be able to book high demand resorts/rooms at 11 months.

For example, say they only have 100 points at VGC, 1000 trust members all try to use those 100 points during the year, that is going to leave 999 members very disappointed.

Anyone who buys into this better be prepared to be booking SSR at 7 months most of the time.
So if i were to by 100 points in the trust, do i have a certain number of points per resort or 100 at any of them?
And any of them in the trust would be 11 month technically, right? (even if I'm not able because they're booked)

The same as any other trust system. There is no 'decision'...whoever books first at the opening bell gets the ressie. Everyone else gets, "This villa is no longer available on the dates you requested" (or some such) and has to choose another villa type, location, or date.
Ouch..... won't want to be the person who paid $200/point for trust points to save $24/point at buying one resort, only to be stuck at SSR, which could be had for under $100/point resale.

So if i were to by 100 points in the trust, do i have a certain number of points per resort or 100 at any of them?
And any of them in the trust would be 11 month technically, right? (even if I'm not able because they're booked)

You don’t buy the actual points…you buy the right to use 100 points that the trust owns. When you go to book, you can reserve a room at any of the resorts as long as there are still points left at the resort you want.

So, if you go to book RIV and it’s 85 points, but all the trust points at RIV are used, you have to choose something else.

You don’t buy the actual points…you buy the right to use 100 points that the trust owns. When you go to book, you can reserve a room at any of the resorts as long as there are still points left at the resort you want.

So, if you go to book RIV and it’s 85 points, but all the trust points at RIV are used, you have to choose something else.
Got it... so basically, the majority of the points will be less popular resort points and they will most likely go first.
So would price per point be an average cost of all the resorts?

Got it... so basically, the majority of the points will be less popular resort points and they will most likely go first.
So would price per point be an average cost of all the resorts?

We don’t know how DVC will fill the trust with units and from which resorts. I think the easiest way to begin is to use new inventory from new resorts and resorts not yet sold.

But, the more popular resorts will go faster than the less popular ones.

From what I have read, the MFs that trust members pay are indeed based on averages of the resorts and % of those resorts owned.

There is no way that a trust system would not create inequities.

I would, for example, enjoy having VB in the trust because it means my dues at VB would be lower, and typically it has not proven to be as popular a resort. So, as someone who loves staying there, this would perhaps be a "discount" over what I would otherwise have.

However, I would hate having VGF in the trust. My dues there are substantially lower than what I would have to pay if we were including VDH, RIV, AUL, and other resorts into the mix.

I would replace "points" with "room nights." DVC would have to ensure that the distribution is somewhat equitable. If 10% of Riviera points are in the Trust, then 10% of all nights / room types would also be set aside for Trustees. It's basically two separate buckets--deeded vs Trust--with some crossover likely happening at 7 months.

In theory, yes it would be harder to get a Riviera room than if one is deeded at the single resort. Due to the increased competition. But Trust members are getting a booking advantage at multiple resorts. The question is whether they feel they can make that work in their favor.

If 10% of Riviera points are in the Trust, then 10% of all nights / room types would also be set aside for Trustees.
But is this how they'll do it? A separate pool of rooms for trust owners? This would mean that every day of the year, 10% of rooms are reserved for trust owners but they can not exceed those 10%. In high demand times this would lead to terrible availability for trust owners. If they add 5% of VGF this way, a lot of trust owners might try to reserve a std view studio at VGF in December, but they would all be competing for 5 rooms.
Or will they have 11 month access to all rooms until the trust points are exhausted? Then I would assume, trust reservations could easily exceed 30% or more of all rooms on popular dates at popular resorts, because many more people are trying to get them (and as a consequence, lower trust usage at other dates because the trust points for a specific resort are exhausted).

Something interesting in the DVC News article that I don't think I saw mentioned here through the 30+ pages is this:

"Certainly DVC could offer tangible perks and benefits exclusively for those who agree to join the Trust. Historically, DVC has offered the same perks to all owners who purchased at least 150 points direct, regardless of resort or size of ownership. Even as perks were eliminated from resale buyers back in 2016, legacy owners were grandfathered into those programs."

We may see firsthand how membership extras are not guaranteed

But is this how they'll do it? A separate pool of rooms for trust owners? This would mean that every day of the year, 10% of rooms are reserved for trust owners but they can not exceed those 10%. In high demand times this would lead to terrible availability for trust owners. If they add 5% of VGF this way, a lot of trust owners might try to reserve a std view studio at VGF in December, but they would all be competing for 5 rooms.
Or will they have 11 month access to all rooms until the trust points are exhausted? Then I would assume, trust reservations could easily exceed 30% or more of all rooms on popular dates at popular resorts, because many more people are trying to get them (and as a consequence, lower trust usage at other dates because the trust points for a specific resort are exhausted).
This is exactly what we don't know and likely won't if we leave it to DVC. They have no real interest in being trasparent with owners.
I think they should do it in the first way you described. Two completely set of inventories. This way they can avoid almost any impact of deeded members and it's more equitable: every set of owners will get a proportional number of high and low sought after rooms.
But who knows, they might implement the second just to give trust owners an advantage so to sell it (probably at a higher price) more easily.
That's why as soon as the Trustbis announced, we all have to contact DVC and  pretend to know how it'll work.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter