DVC Aulani questions- Best time to go, renting vs cash room

kkmcan

Official Mouse Fan
I'm trying to plan a trip to Aulani next year for our family of four and I have a bunch of questions and don't know where to start....

We don't own DVC. I have been comparing paying cash for a reg room vs renting points from an owner. Here's the catch, I have $400 in Disney Visa Rewards plus will have another $400-$500 by the time we take our trip next spring/summer. I originally thought that this would be the only way we'd get to stay at Aulani. If I saved up all of our DV reward dollars that we could pay for a night or two. But I've looked at renting through Dave's and we could get a one bedroom for 4 nights for the same price as paying cash for a reg room for 3 nights. Renting seems like the better deal plus we'd get the right amount of beds (3, I have teens) and a kitchenette. Maybe just save our reward dollars to use at the resort for food, snorkeling etc. We plan on staying another 3 nights or so in the in-laws Wyndham timeshare to see the sights. Aulani will be just for relaxing.

For first question, if we rent DVC do we still have to pay for parking? That might save us some more if we don't have to pay.

Secondly, price wise, weather wise and crowd wise which would be the better time to go- Last week of May after Memorial Day or 3rd week of March (my kids spring break)??

Lastly, if we do choose to rent points who do you recommend we rent them through?

Thanks guys for any advice! We are a Disney lovin' family and have never stayed DVC before so this is all new to me.

You do not have to pay for parking if you are staying on DVC points. We are also not DVC owners but rented points from friends and did not get charged for parking. The 1-bedroom villa with the kitchenette gave us lots of room and helped us save money on food vs. the restaurants, which are very pricy (expecially for large families).

As far as crowd levels, I don't think I can help you. Instead of going through a points broker, we just asked around with our friends to see if any of them weren't going to be using their points for the year. We got a couple of hits and managed to work it out with one of them. They got cash to help with an adoption, we got Aulani. Win-win!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter