DVC annual pass & reg ticket price increases

Apixarfan

Earning My Ears
We are new DVC members with blue cards. We purchased recently enough that buying an annual sorcerer‘s pass has never even been an option.

Anyway, we have a family trip planned for March 2023. I heard this morning from Mousesavers that ticket prices will/have gone up. We were originally stalling on purchasing them in the hopes that annual passes will be available before our trip because we might go again 51 weeks later.

I’m looking for advice on whether I should

a) buy now through a ticket reseller for $2,450 for 7-day base tickets through a reputable reseller
b) buy now direct from Disney for $2,570 for the same tickets with the idea that annual passes might become available and we could pay the difference to upgrade to Sorceror’s annual passes.
c) just hold my money until Jan/Feb and buy something then

I would probably buy the tickets now and hope sales will start before your trip and you can upgrade.

In my experience, I have had better luck upgrading over the phone when my tickets were bought from Disney When they were from another site, I had to do in person.

Precovid…we had purchased tickets from another source and were able to convert them to an AP before the last day of the trip.
The risk is that AP sales will close quickly - before the OP can complete an upgrade on site during her March trip. Most believe that Disney has a cap on the number of APs and will not open sales until enough existing passholders decide not to renew. There is a lot of pent up demand for APS, so it is entirely possible that APs will only be available for a short time.

@Apixarfan - I'd also do (b). I'd think of the $120 price difference as the price to have a better chance of getting in on any future AP availability. Good luck!

Plus, if you buy directly from Disney, you can pay with Disney Gift cards. You can typically save 5-10% from the face value by using promotions and CC programs. (Target, BJ's, Meijer, Office Max). On the budget thread go to the discounted GC thread.

Great advice here! I'm in the same boat... considering buying tix for our April trip before Dec 8 in hopes of upgrading to APs. That said, that was also my plan in December of 2021 and they stopped selling APs before our trip so I was not able to upgrade....

Great advice here! I'm in the same boat... considering buying tix for our April trip before Dec 8 in hopes of upgrading to APs. That said, that was also my plan in December of 2021 and they stopped selling APs before our trip so I was not able to upgrade....

Here is one strategy that could work..but it’s an expensive one to start.
Buy your tickets, and then if sales start, buy the AP and attempt to get the tickets credit over the phone,

If they can’t do it for some reason on the phone, buy the APs anyway to ensure you get them…then use the tickets to go toward your renewal price next year.

Buy your tickets, and then if sales start, buy the AP and attempt to get the tickets credit over the phone,

If they can’t do it for some reason on the phone, buy the APs anyway to ensure you get them…then use the tickets to go toward your renewal price next year.
Oh that's interesting... Great idea. Thank you. Fingers crossed we actually see APs come back soon!

In looking at DVC member benefits, they are not showing AP discounts in that section right now. Do you think once they resume APs at WDW that there will be a DVC discount for eligible members? Is there currently one for the magic keys at DL?

In looking at DVC member benefits, they are not showing AP discounts in that section right now. Do you think once they resume APs at WDW that there will be a DVC discount for eligible members? Is there currently one for the magic keys at DL?
Picked up a Believe Key yesterday, no DVC discount.
ETA: This was through the online queue. Maybe if you went in-person to the ticket booth? A la https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/discounts-perks-offers/tickets-tours/pass-programs/dlr

Yea, I saw this yesterday.... Those aren't even the magic keys they're selling, right? I wish they would just simplify the names - silver, gold, platinum - something way less confusing and much more relevant.
Those are the ones they are selling - believe sold out this morning (10 min before I could buy it)
No way I would have waited at a gate to save $20

There really isn’t a DVC discount for WDW. Incredipass has no discount, it’s full price for everyone, including FL Residents and DVC. Sorcerer pass is available for FL Residents and eligible DVC members, same price for both. The DVC benefit is being able to buy Sorcerer without being a Resident.

There really isn’t a DVC discount for WDW. Incredipass has no discount, it’s full price for everyone, including FL Residents and DVC. Sorcerer pass is available for FL Residents and eligible DVC members, same price for both. The DVC benefit is being able to buy Sorcerer without being a Resident.
Yeap. I think I just mixed words but I get it. Unfortunately, I'm a DVC-N so I don't qualify for sorcerer anyway.

Plus, if you buy directly from Disney, you can pay with Disney Gift cards. You can typically save 5-10% from the face value by using promotions and CC programs. (Target, BJ's, Meijer, Office Max). On the budget thread go to the discounted GC thread.
Ooh good idea thx

Oh, I was just coming on here to ask similar advice, and this is a great one!

In our case, we have a trip planned in May with one son, and then a family trip in November over Thanksgiving with both boys.
My DH and I have APs, but the kids do not. I foolishly waited to purchase. Sadly/Amusingly, when I decided to buy them was the day they cut off sales -- I was literally CHECKING OUT to purchase them when I got an error and couldn't complete the purchase!

Anyway, I know prices are increasing on 12/8, so I was definitely torn over whether to buy now, or wait to purchase. I have heard rumors both that sales will resume in January, but also other rumors that say Disney won't offer APs again till maybe end of summer/fall next year.

I was thinking of AT LEAST buying the May ticket. If APs came out in January, I'd buy an AP for our youngest son and transfer his ticket to our oldest son for November. Our oldest is in college now, so he's unlikely to be visiting Disney more than once a year with us, so it's fine if he doesn't have an annual pass. But I keep debating if I should buy all three now to get the cheapest price and to minimize risk if APs don't come out.

Knowing I can apply ticket value to renewals is fantastic. Can they do that over the phone or does it require us to be in person? Can DVC do it, as next year we want to downgrade from Incredipass to Sorcerer's pass (as we won't be going over Thanksgiving or Christmas in 2024, so don't need the more expensive pass).

Oh, I was just coming on here to ask similar advice, and this is a great one!

In our case, we have a trip planned in May with one son, and then a family trip in November over Thanksgiving with both boys.
My DH and I have APs, but the kids do not. I foolishly waited to purchase. Sadly/Amusingly, when I decided to buy them was the day they cut off sales -- I was literally CHECKING OUT to purchase them when I got an error and couldn't complete the purchase!

Anyway, I know prices are increasing on 12/8, so I was definitely torn over whether to buy now, or wait to purchase. I have heard rumors both that sales will resume in January, but also other rumors that say Disney won't offer APs again till maybe end of summer/fall next year.

I was thinking of AT LEAST buying the May ticket. If APs came out in January, I'd buy an AP for our youngest son and transfer his ticket to our oldest son for November. Our oldest is in college now, so he's unlikely to be visiting Disney more than once a year with us, so it's fine if he doesn't have an annual pass. But I keep debating if I should buy all three now to get the cheapest price and to minimize risk if APs don't come out.

Knowing I can apply ticket value to renewals is fantastic. Can they do that over the phone or does it require us to be in person? Can DVC do it, as next year we want to downgrade from Incredipass to Sorcerer's pass (as we won't be going over Thanksgiving or Christmas in 2024, so don't need the more expensive pass).

I didn’t have luck over the phone but my ticket was purchased through a third party and not directly from Disney. I don’t think if that made the difference or not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter