During a hurricane at WDW....

Disneyland1084

OH PLEASE SOMEBODY TELL ME!
How bad, if at all, do the first floor rooms at hotels get flooded? What about the other floors? I watched a YouTube video of a blogger there during a hurricane, but he didn't go much into the flooding of rooms.

We haven't been there during a hurricane, but I have read reports of wind driven rain sometimes seeping under the resort room door at rooms with exterior doors. But it doesn't flood the rooms.

I can't recall any issues with flooding at WDW resorts.

Hurricane flooding is primarily caused by overflow of lakes/rivers or storm surges off the coast. While low-lying parts of central Florida or those adjacent to large bodies of water that are prone to flooding may flood in a hurricane, most places don’t. The bigger risk for hurricanes in central Florida is heavy wind damage and tornadoes. Thankfully Disney resorts are built pretty sturdily and can handle heavy winds.

If you’re going during hurricane season and can afford it, I would recommend staying in a deluxe with fully indoor access (like Boardwalk or Wilderness Lodge) or the tower at Coronado so you can leave the room and go do activities in the lobby/get food without braving the weather.

We've also waited out a hurricane at WDW, and don't recall any conversation about flooding in first floor rooms. The Disney resorts are built quite well. They also seem to build them with the plan to have water moving away from the rooms - like most people have done with their homes. About 24 hours before the hurricane was forecast to hit, they also emptied a lot of water out of the pools at our resort - so much of the run off seemed to have a place to go.

We were there during Ian last fall, and the resorts did an incredible job with everything! Some rain swept in under the doors in some of the main lobbies/entrance areas, but we didn't have any issues at all with water in our room.

We were evacuated from Caribbean Beach one year due to worries of flooding. We were in the original Barbados section which is now the Riviera. Everyone slept in the convention center at The Yacht Club.

We were supposed to be camping at the Fort when Ian came knocking, but were evacuated to PO Riverside, and were given a ground floor room. We didn’t flood, but had some other issues to be aware of. For whatever reason, our room’s outside door had about an inch gap between the door and the floor. From what we could see, most of the ground floor rooms did as well.

At first we noticed some bug larvae looking things (about an inch long with a LOT of legs, but they weren’t caterpillars) crawling in our room. We soon discovered that there were more coming from outside under the door. It soon became an exodus of those little stinkers. We reported the issue asap, but by that time we realized all the doors were the same and just decided to live with it.

(ETA I accidentally hit send before I was done) I don’t think we’d ever get a room on the first floor where the door opens to the outside again.

We were at Coronado Springs in the Ranchos area in a first-floor room last year during Ian. No problems at all but the CM's did bring a stack of towels to our room that afternoon before the hurricane hit, just in case we needed them.

How bad, if at all, do the first floor rooms at hotels get flooded? What about the other floors? I watched a YouTube video of a blogger there during a hurricane, but he didn't go much into the flooding of rooms.
The first floor rooms at hotels in WDW almost never get flooded. The other floors have never been flooded. The reason the vlogger didn't go much into the flooding of rooms is because it is so rare that it's not worth mentioning.

In the event of a particularly strong hurricane projected to hit WDW the hotels will take precautions that might include evacuation. I've been in The World during three hurricanes (Matthew 2016, Irma 2017 and Dorian 2019) no rooms flooded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter