• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

dumpster diving...

pixxi

Mouseketeer
My kids have recently started to dumpster dive and have found a ton of items from toys, beauty supplies to TV's. Anyone else do this, is it a "new" thing for kids to be doing?

No not a new thing.. I have gotten items that were free if it said free. I don't dumpster dive.

Are you saying your kids actually walk or drive to a dumpster and go in and pick through the garbage and thry dont need to do so?

We have done it. Not going into the dumpster but pulling things out that are beside it or on the side of the road.

BUT, I draw the line at things that I can't clean like make-up or electronics. If I can clean and we can use it then it stays.

I had a boyfriend who brought me an over the door organizer item that he found in a dumpster for my birthday.

It's not new. I've heard of people doing it. Businesses throw away a lot of stuff. Now would I do it? I'll pass. Lol

The homeless here do it for food. There is a whole network where they trade what they found for what they want. Burgers for donuts, or bagels for fruit. We did a story on it a number of years ago. Yes it is illegal, but it is the only way they eat. There are some very caring fast food workers who make it know to the homeless that they take the wasted food out at a certain time, and place, and they set the food out neatly wrapped up for a moment before they come back to put it in the dumpster, and gee it's gone!

A house across the street from us has one of those little tykes outside play structures in a huge dumpster along the alley. I'm working up the nerve to ask if I can dig it out.

Thoughts....
  • I wonder what else is in that dumpster? If you find something good... is it contaminated with insects or other toxic things that could be dumped in there.
  • I sometimes check second hand and thrift stores for things on their way to a landfill. My employer has a "Buy N Sell" area where I can shop for used items.
  • sometimes I wonder about getting a job with a junk company... I hear employees are able to salvage a lot of good stuff
  • some towns and cities have an annual special day where you can leave junk outside your home.... your neighbours can walk up and down the street to grab what they like.
  • check online for freegan ideas
  • my grocer has 30% discount items near their best before date. I check the store at various times of the day to grab meats and veggies to enjoy the savings.
  • some retailers have an outlet store to unload returned or unsellable items.
    • Some say Costco may have such items.... if you look at the fine print on some electronics.... there is no manufacture warranty.... Costco has their own store warranty.
  • giving old stuff new life is a great way to save money..... be careful you don't develop another problem..... hoarding. Where your home becomes a giant dumpster.

Last edited:
A house across the street from us has one of those little tykes outside play structures in a huge dumpster along the alley. I'm working up the nerve to ask if I can dig it out.
Something like this I wouldn't hesitate. A lot of people once their done with a play set they simply don't know what else to do with it so they throw it out. If you think your kids would like it and it's in decent shape go get it.

When I was in college, one of our dorm's trash cans was directly outside my room. I knew that a certain girl would only eat warm pizza so when she ordered, I'd wait by my door for the other 1/2 to hit the trash (it was in the box). I'd be on that like ducks on a june bug. So technically, yes, I've not dumpster dived but trash dived. Sadly she got a boyfriend and my free 1/2 pizza days were lost....However my roommate in medical school (kind of an indulged person in retrospect) would tell this story whenever she wanted her parents to send money. So it kept feeding me for a while :)

My husband got a Little Tykes kitchen that was in great shape someone in the neighborhood left out beside the trash. We cleaned it up and disinfected every inch (bleach and Lysol) before giving it to his niece who was a toddler at that time. We also ordered the pieces (pans) that were missing directly from Little Tykes. She and her little brother played with it for years.

In our neighborhood, everyone puts things that they don't want, but think might still be useful out on the curb a day or two before the garbage man. Generally, it's gone by garbage day. If it really is a piece of junk, it's still there. I got a breakfast table and chairs from curbside recycling once and then 5 years later, put it out for curbside recycling! (It was gone in an hour.) I guess that's dumpster diving in a suburban sort of way.

Anything that doesn't make it to the landfill but continues to be used is good in my books.

new? not at all. they may want to watch themselves tho as it is illegal in some places.

In general this is not true. There are areas with ordinances, but that isn't the norm in the US. Call your local police to check before you dive though.

Diving isn't new, but it's a trend on youtube for sure. The makeup stuff grosses me out, but plenty of other places throw out perfectly good stuff for no real reason other than that it's seasonal, not sold anymore, they needed the shelf space, etc. I definitely get my packing supplies that way...you wouldn't believe how much bubble wrap is tossed by stores. Also, colleges at the end of the school year are a place to find insane stuff tossed by kids who don't care because mom and dad will just buy them more.

not 'diving' persay, but yes I have no problem picking up someone's 'trash' from the curb if I can use the item.... 3/4 of my lawn furniture came from such activity:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter