Duke University will sound The Muslim call to prayer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most people who hear the broadcast won't have a clue to the actual words; as they are traditionally sung in Arabic. Additionally, the cadence used makes it even harder to understand the words, just as the rhythm of Gregorian Chant makes the Latin hard to decipher. (I minored in Latin, and I still sometimes have difficulty making out the actual words when hearing Gregorian Chant.)

I guess if you are terrified of any indication of the presence of Islam it could be bothersome, but as someone who spends a lot of time on campuses and who has had a soft spot for the carillons, I think it will become just another musical tradition that everyone accepts as part of the background noise of campus life; just like Sister Cindy and Brother Jed.

I don't buy into any religion but I think, as a private university, DDuke is in their right.

The fact that it's a Friday vs a Sunday shouldn't have bearing on whether or not it's acceptable. Mormons can't just change their religion to make it a different day.

The fact that it's 3 mins long vs however long of bell ringing? Same thing.

And calling it "open mike [sic]" is just dumb. They aren't getting up there to say whatever they want... they are sticking to their script.

Oh yeah, my other thought...

Franklin Graham is an intolerant pig who seems to be very good at revising and restating historical and current events to fit his own agenda. Listing the abhorrent things that radical Muslims and saying it is done by "followers of Islam" in general and intentionally excluding any Christian acts that are similar. WBC are Christians, Franky... are they victims too?

Being married to a man who graduated from Duke Divinity School a few years back, and who now works in a church setting near the campus, this has been quite the topic this week in our house! And my husband made a great point about it all.

A long time ago, a monastery was built in the desert. It was built high on a hill, surrounded by high walls. Yet, inside this fortress was a small mosque. When questioned, the monks replied it was for hospitality to those they were there to interact with, many Muslim desert nomads.

No one changes their mind being beat on the head. Hospitality and love and dialogue are what change the world, and I think that is exactly what Duke is trying to do by providing the opportunity for Muslims to speak their call to prayer.

If church bells are allowed it's only fair to allow the call to prayer. Allow both or disallow both.

ETA- SMH at the people who think the call to prayer is traumatizing. I've heard it lots of times and I think it sounds beautiful. They are singing something like "God is the one true God and Mohamed is his Prophet. Everyone from the right come to the prayer. Everyone from the left come to the prayer." It's not a harmful message and if you don't understand Arabic it only sounds like music. There might be a better translation but that is the general idea.

Just came across my newsfeed that Duke has reversed their decision. Must have had some mad donors;)

Truly, a shame I think to change course.

If church bells are allowed it's only fair to allow the call to prayer. Allow both or disallow both.

ETA- SMH at the people who think the call to prayer is traumatizing. I've heard it lots of times and I think it sounds beautiful. They are singing something like "God is the one true God and Mohamed is his Prophet. Everyone from the right come to the prayer. Everyone from the left come to the prayer." It's not a harmful message and if you don't understand Arabic it only sounds like music. There might be a better translation but that is the general idea.

Right? If I got hit by an ice cream truck can I claim the church bells are traumatizing and shouldn't be allowed? Not to discredit whatever happened to someone... but it seems like a rare circumstance.

I'm thankful that Franklin Graham is not afraid of PC and speaks the truth.
I'm sure the anti-religious would be up in arms if the school was reciting the Lords Prayer over speakers.
Just a few days ago a statue of a army soldier was removed because it had a cross in it but this is acceptable.
Nativity scenes and the Ten Commandments are removed from places but this is acceptable.
Public prayer at school events are being taken away but this is acceptable.
It seems to me that Christians and Judism are the only religions that atheist & PC wants to always scream separation of church and state to.

Tolerance doesn't mean abandoning your faith, it means allowing others to believe the way they think best. How many Mosques would let Jews or Christians have a service in them? The muslims can have their own mosque and it would be acceptable coming from their mosque. Obviously, this Duke chapel doesn't care about what Jesus Christ thinks but only what man thinks.

It is a very fast fade our country is going through abandoning it's Christian roots that is the reason United States has been blessed.

Just came across my newsfeed that Duke has reversed their decision. Must have had some mad donors;)

Truly, a shame I think to change course.

ABC news is reporting that as well. Frankly, I don't care either way. They're a private institution and can do as they please.

There is word out now that Duke has changed it's mind due to negative feedback.

I'm sure the anti-religious would be up in arms if the school was reciting the Lords Prayer over speakers.
Just a few days ago a statue of a army soldier was removed because it had a cross in it but this is acceptable.
Nativity scenes and the Ten Commandments are removed from places but this is acceptable.
It seems to me that Christians and Judism are the only religions that atheist & PC wants to always scream separation of church and state to.

Tolerance doesn't mean abandoning your faith, it means allowing others to believe the way they think best. How many Mosques would let Jews or Christians have a service in them? The muslims can have their own mosque and it would be acceptable coming from their mosque. Obviously, this Duke chapel doesn't care about what Jesus Christ thinks but only what man thinks.

It is a very fast fade our country is going through abandoning it's Christian roots that is the reason United States has been blessed.

I'll just put this right here

http://itspronouncedmetrosexual.com/2012/05/list-of-examples-of-christian-privileg/

I wrote an entire paragraph scolding Franklin Graham for his hate and ignorance, but decided to just not go there due to DISBoards current policies.

But I will say this: Franklin Graham needs a better understanding of government places and private places. As do you, apparently:

That was done by the city of King, NC in order to avoid a federal lawsuit. How does that relate to the actions of a private university? Because it's in the same state?

It seems to me that Christians and Judism[sic] are the only religions that atheist & PC wants to always scream separation of church and state to.

Because you are talking about government buildings, not a private university. While I don't agree with the Supreme Court's interpretation of the 1st Amendment and the use of "wall of separation" in Jefferson's correspondences with the Danbury Baptists, that doesn't apply in this case, because, once again, Duke is a private university.

Tolerance doesn't mean abandoning your faith, it means allowing others to believe the way they think best. How many Mosques would let Jews or Christians have a service in them? The muslims[sic] can have their own mosque and it would be acceptable coming from their mosque. Obviously, this Duke chapel doesn't care about what Jesus Christ thinks but only what man thinks.

The chapel also allows Hindu services. If you would like to donate the funds needed to build a inter-denominational place of worship for non-Christians, I'm sure Duke would build a building for you.

JC isn't here to tell us what he thinks but if he were I think he would tell us all to love one another. His best friends were thieves and a hooker. I'm pretty sure he would be best buds with Muslim people if they existed when he was walking around. JC's main message was one of tolerance and love.

I thought it was a nondenominational chapel.

Heck - I went to grad school at a Catholic school. The main church on campus was a wedding site open to any current student or graduate. The ceremony could be of any faith, and I understand there were many weddings in different faith traditions. I think their only requirement was that it had to be a religious ceremony of some sort and couldn't be secular.

At the top of the page is the news flash:

http://www.wral.com/

A quick quote from the above link:

"Two days after announcing that Islamic students would be broadcasting a weekly call to prayer from the Duke Chapel bell tower, Duke University officials abandoned that plan Thursday, citing the furor the move had created."

My take: As I said upthread, it's a private university. My opinion on why? Their phones must have been ringing off the hook with ticked off big money donors. ::yes::

JC isn't here to tell us what he thinks but if he were I think he would tell us all to love one another. His best friends were thieves and a hooker. I'm pretty sure he would be best buds with Muslim people if they existed when he was walking around. JC's main message was one of tolerance and love.

I will agree that JC was all about loving one another, but I will disagree that He was all about tolerance. I can't think of anywhere it says He tolerated people worshipping other gods. He was friends with thieves and hookers, but I can't think of anytime He said theft and prostitution are acceptable, nor did He tolerate it. He loved everyone, but didn't falter in what He believed to be truth nor did He shy away from speaking that truth.

A quick quote from the above link: "Two days after announcing that Islamic students would be broadcasting a weekly call to prayer from the Duke Chapel bell tower, Duke University officials abandoned that plan Thursday, citing the furor the move had created." My take: As I said upthread, it's a private university. My opinion on why? Their phones must have been ringing off the hook with ticked off big money donors. ::yes::

The fact that they even considered it is going to hurt them financially.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter