DSLR on Plane

Nana2Callie

DIS Veteran
First time flying with DSLR - do you I just need to plan to carry all with me as part of my carry on?

I always have mine in my backpack when I go through security. I'm amazed that the bag (including a bunch of extra lenses, chargers, remote cords, etc.) never causes an issue.

First time flying with DSLR - do you I just need to plan to carry all with me as part of my carry on?

I usually have my camera bag as a carryon. If I'm bringing a lot of lenses, for different days, then I may pack a couple of the heavier lenses in my checked baggage.

Most flights allow for one personal item. A small camera case the size of a purse is perfect.

Where are you seated on the plane? I prefer the cheap seats at the back of the plane. This ensures I'm aboard with my cabin stuff before it's filled by those economy seats last filled.

I hate seeing my luggage "air mailed" from the cabin to the luggage hold because they have too many seats, but have not expanded cabin storage. Put the small purse camera bag at your feet!

Always, always, always carry your camera on the plane. Do not put it in your checked bags. Checked bags get bashed around all the time and your camera could get damaged in the handling. Sometimes checked bags get opened and sometimes things disappear from them.

I carry my camera with me. Every so often it gets pulled and swabbed by TSA.... No worries, I always tell them, they can open it if they need to.

I consider my camera and it's equipment as essential as the prescriptions, ids, phone, laptop, and other items that I pack in my carry-on bag. In fact, we always check our suitcase(s) but I use a small roller-bag for my laptop computer, camera etc. Sometimes it fits under the seat and other times it ends up above.

I do. I have a backpack that I'll take on the plane (and usually that's my only luggage) and anything of value ALWAYS stays with me. I've lost several items over the years in my luggage going through Atlanta after it was "helpfully inspected for my safety" by the TSA (DVDs and such). Although I'll put things like tripods and chargers in the luggage.

I actually started bringing 2 backpacks along. I have one on wheels I use on travel days since the other one gets kind of heavy with everything in it. But it's not comfortable for wearing in the parks. So I have a more comfortable (non-wheeled) one for using in the parks. It has worked out very well for me on our last few trips. It's a nice relief not to have to carry that bag all over on travel days.

As someone else said. Most airline consider camera bags as a personal item. So you can carry 2 bags. My camera bag never leaves my side when traveling.

Yes, Yes, Yes, carry-on your camera bag! I carry two bags with me on the plane. The First Bag is my Travel Pro Rolling bag that also has my laptop. The second is my Think Tank Airport Commuter Bag. This bag fits under the seat in front of many an allows me to carry all of my gear with me. I stuff a Sling bag for the parks in my clothes bag and stuff it with socks and any other clothes that can roll-up.

Yes!!!!! I got my first DSLR back in 2010 and I always carry it on the plane. I take pictures during the flight and everything but yes, take it with you as a carry-on. My bag goes through the same scrutiny as any other carry-on. I haven't had a problem as of yet. I tend to find it useful too because I end up putting my cell phone, wallet, headphones, boarding passes, etc right in my camera bag. I then put it under the seat in front of me [which is allowed].

Yes!!!!! I got my first DSLR back in 2010 and I always carry it on the plane. I take pictures during the flight and everything but yes, take it with you as a carry-on. My bag goes through the same scrutiny as any other carry-on. I haven't had a problem as of yet. I tend to find it useful too because I end up putting my cell phone, wallet, headphones, boarding passes, etc right in my camera bag. I then put it under the seat in front of me [which is allowed].

yes, put the DSLR in the overhead but keep the pocket-size mirrorless in a small pack under the seat

Untitled by c w, on Flickr

DSC_0408_4.JPG

I got lucky on this one...the clouds broke up just in time. Flight route would've taken us a different direction but there was a storm so we ended up going another route and right over MK. It was cool to see from this perspective!

i use a kata 3n1 bag. it's carry-on approved and i can fit everything in it along with my laptop and all other electronic wires and ipads for the kids. i also use it to carry my meds. all our impt stuff goes in it cause it never leaves my side. when it gets searched i tell them there is alot of glass in there and i stand right there with them. i have never had an issue with taking it.

i say this here all the time. insure ur gear if you are really worried. i have all my gear insured with replacement from erie. i once dropped my camera with a 2 grand lens on it. thank god i was covered. it cost me like 10 dollars for every 1000 i have insured. well well worth it.

View attachment 165986

I got lucky on this one...the clouds broke up just in time. Flight route would've taken us a different direction but there was a storm so we ended up going another route and right over MK. It was cool to see from this perspective!

One time I flew home from WDW later at night. Usually I have my camera out but that night I was so tired from the trip I planned on sleeping and left it in the overhead bin. They flew over WDW at 9pm, THAT SAME VIEW as Wishes was going, then BY the sphere at Epcot as Illuminations was going.

Kicked myself all the way home. :D

Have had the camera out everytime since then but they've never taken that route since.

One time I flew home from WDW later at night. Usually I have my camera out but that night I was so tired from the trip I planned on sleeping and left it in the overhead bin. They flew over WDW at 9pm, THAT SAME VIEW as Wishes was going, then BY the sphere at Epcot as Illuminations was going.

Kicked myself all the way home. :D

Have had the camera out everytime since then but they've never taken that route since.

I would have had to help you kick yourself! :-) That's a once-in-a-lifetime chance...but I'm sure you know that! I always think of this as planes fly overhead during Wishes or Illuminations. I actually missed an opportunity about 7 years ago when we flew right over DTD [at the time] and then our resort Caribbean Beach! I felt just like you did.

Never been lucky enough to catch WDW as we were flying at night but I do take pictures from the plane using my DSLR; I have gotten a few pictures that I really like; see below.

IMG_6666ed-L.jpg

IMG_7065-2-L.jpg

IMG_7085-3-L.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter