DSLR in Parks

Nana2Callie

DIS Veteran
How do you carry your DSLR in the parks? Strap, Bag, Etc. please be specific. I used a Rapid strap last year, but wasn't totally crazy about it. Considering other options.

Canvas messenger-style bag. I've got the rapid strap too and while I like it (aside from losing eyecups) I tend to bring in 2 lenses to the park (wide angle and a mid range zoom) so I've always got the bag with me and I end up only using the strap for convenience and additional safety so I don't accidentally drop the camera so it's sort of redundant. The bag is also helpful when going on rides and such as I can just tuck it between my legs on most rides.

I started off with a T4i and have a 6D now and, frankly, I liked the BR strap better on the T4i as the 6D is heavier and tends to bounce around more.

Black Rapid cross body strap when I had it out for use, and tucked away in a small messenger style padded bag inside a backpack when not in use.

I only took my 30mm lens attached to my 7D though and carried no other lenses. Too much other crap because of the toddler.

I also have a 6D on a rapid strap. I'm still loving it, but I tend to keep my hand on the barrel of the lens when walking through a tight crowd. Although sometimes I tuck it behind me and adjust the bumper so it doesn't slide to the front. I also use a tether strap for added security.

In addition to that, I carry a traditional backpack with an extra lens or two. On rare occasion I will put the camera in the bag, but not very often.

I also have a 6D on a rapid strap. I'm still loving it, but I tend to keep my hand on the barrel of the lens when walking through a tight crowd. Although sometimes I tuck it behind me and adjust the bumper so it doesn't slide to the front. I also use a tether strap for added security.

How many eyecups have you lost? :D (And if not, what's your secret!?)

How do you carry your DSLR in the parks? Strap, Bag, Etc. please be specific. I used a Rapid strap last year, but wasn't totally crazy about it. Considering other options.

Black rapid strap and a messenger style bag for lenses, and for when I want to put the camera away (some rides).
A shoulder sling strap like the black rapid, really distributes the weight of the camera nicely.

I carry my DSLR around my neck on a well padded strap. However, I only use the 18-55mm lens and not a longer and heavier zoom. I found that lens was plenty for all the parks I went to.

I've been debating the best way to do this as well. I will be carrying everything to the hotel in my ThinkTank bag, but really dread a back drenched in sweat after an hour. I think I'll end up using a Black Rapid strap with camera and lens and then a couple of lens cases on my belt for quick and easy swap outs. I'm planning on taking my tripod and storing it in a locker for the day until I need it in the evening for a few shots.

BlackRapids is the... devil of sling companies. Bogus patents and filing garbage suits against start ups to prevent competition. I won't give them any money. Not a penny.

I use a CarrySmart cross body strap. It's hands down the best strap I've ever bought. FS-Pro with a tripod mount.

Here is a Link to it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-2015-Ca...-Shoulder-Strap-for-DSLR-Camera-/201134267857
*** I can't vouch for this seller, it's the first one to turn up on a quick google search.

I've been using mine since 2012. I can carry my Canon T4i with a 18-135mm STM II lens 12 hours in the park and it's still a joy to carry. Also, the way it works with the stops, you can "sling it" on your side and it stays in place, the physical motion of raising it up releases the slider but walking, leaning over won't release it. It's genius.

For bags, I've tried several. A cross body bag like a messenger style which is good for shorter trips but a 12 hour park day can get tiresome on back to back days. I've used a Kata 3n1 bag the medium size, which is really nice but the padding on the straps can take it's toll after 3-4 12hour days. I also have a Manfroto back pack made specifically for DSLR's that is a big of a combo deal. Pretty cool back pack you can use with one shoulder if you want to.

Yeah, I have a lot bags, lol. I usually travel with either the manfroto and the cross body messenger or the Kata and cross body.

Anyway, with the photopass for our passes and the newer cameras on our Galaxy S7's, I find myself only bringing a DSLR into the parks on "special" days. Unlike 2012. 2013 and 2014 where I brought it every single day.

Black rapid strap and backpack for additional lens or two. Locker for tripods or anything else I won't need for awhile. :)

If I brought a DSLR I'd probably use my messenger bag but for parks and events like Disney I now use a mirrorless in a small waist pack or carry the camera in my pocket .... sweet !
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

I have a black rapid strap I have used for years. Overall I love this strap, except that it does bounce a lot when walking. This year I will also be taking my new strap, the peak design "leash" strap. I have been using this one for a few weeks and it does feel very comfortable and the camera does not move as much when walking compared to my black rapid. For my bag I use the every day messenger bag or I have few different pack pack style pages for my cameras and lenses and when I am at the parks I carry them in a back pack that my assistant (wife) carries for me:).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter