DS2 is 4, should I plan on stroller?

I'm bringing our Sit & Stand (Joovy Caboose Ultralight). DS is 5, and will ride in it enough to make it worth bringing that over one of our many single strollers. I actually just ordered the rain cover for it, because that will also come in handy on days on rainy days to pick him up, or drop him off at school.

My son turned 5 just before our trip in 2013. He could be whiney and asked to be carried here at home. I decided not to take a stroller and see how he did, if he needed one I would have rented one (we were there 10 days). He didn't whine or complain once. My husband did carry him one night, after the MSEP and the crowds were crazy and it was just easier to carry him. I'm glad I didn't spend money on a rental and not need it. If you can take it with you, then that's a no brainer.

Also, we I think we do Disney more leisurely than most, so that helped.

Yes, yes, a million times yes! IMO :) My DH and I took our 4 and 6 yr old last year and having the stroller was critical to getting around with any efficiency. We used the Disney strollers (though I've read Baby Wheels Orlando (800-510-2480) is a more economical off-site rental available for long-term use). I liked the Disney strollers.

At the suggestion of others on this board, I did tie a big, bright colored ribbon and it DID make it 100x easier to spot next to the 1000 other strollers. I even had a day without my DH and I pushed them the whole time with no problems. They were probably a combined weight at the time of about 80 lbs.

I would bring a stroller, especially since you're driving. My hubby gives me a hard time for bringing our stroller when we go to Story Land (small local amusement park for kids) because our daughter walks 90% of the time, but it's surely handy for her stuff even if she's not riding! Change of clothes, rain jackets, sunblock, extra shoes (my daughter loves puddles, but then hates wet feet...). I'd rather not carry it in a bag, and she does opt to ride sometimes, especially when we're in a hurry to get somewhere, or when she has had a klutzy tumble and scraped a knee. (She is a klutz, just like her momma! I also keep band-aids in the stroller!)

It's so dependent on the kid. My oldest would have been outraged at the very suggestion that he ride in a stroller at 5. My youngest needs the safe space to retreat from sensory overload.

I plan on taking a stroller for my 4 year old. It becomes esp useful late at night or if they fall asleep during a nap.

We are headed end of Sept, 4 Adults - We are taking my parents- and our 3 children. DD-8, DS1-6, DS2-4..would be 5 in December. We have not used a stroller in years, but not sure if I should plan to bring one for him. I absolutely don't want to be stuck carrying him since he is 43" and 40lbs!! Any input would be great, personal experiences etc! Thanks!!

Yes, that is still a young age to use one at Disney, and likely needed by a lot of children. We didn't need one at that age as our children were all 'into' Disney and walking, but I wouldn't think twice if I needed one.

My children both rode in a big double jogging stroller when they were 6 and 9. We are all small people, so it did not look too strange for the 9 year old. But seriously, you will see many kids 5 and older in strollers at Disney. It is very tiring to walk so much. We were on the Deluxe Dining Plan and my husband still lost weight! :)

I would bring at least one lightweight one to have on hand in the event you need one. On our last trip our youngest DS was 4 and only used a stroller (a Maclaren Triumph) on our AK day and Epcot day. He was completely fine going without it on both of our MK days, our HS day, and the day we spent at Legoland as well.

I agree that it depends on the child. I have 3boys (12, and two 8 year olds). Last time in Disney when my youngest were 5 we had 2 strollers. This time we will have one. One of my 8 year olds has epilepsy and becomes tired easily. There is no way he could make it without needing to just lay back and rest, especially at night. Do what you feel is best for your kid.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter