• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Drowning?? Arts of animation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Op here. The scene was really a parents worst nightmare. The medics really tried to save him working on him for a long time the family was devastated crying etc. my dd 17 just could not take it and went inside crying. This was our first day here for her high school grad. I woke up this morning at 4:00 and could not sleep thinking about it. It is the most traumatic thing I have ever witnessed. Those poor parents lives are ruined. We are staying at pop but used the aoa bus and we arrived at the resort together with the ambulance/police.

Last edited:
How terrible for the family, lifeguards, and responders. Our thoughts and prayers are with them. My heart is breaking.

We were just there last week. Went to the Big Blue once and made Flipping Fins our pool of choice because the other was just too crazy. Even so, it's a reminder to me not to get complacent, especially when DD is 11 and on a swim team.

Although I won't place blame, these things can happen so fast I will say:

1) don't rely on lifeguards. At 6 or so I asked why my mom wouldn't let me swim unless she, my dad, or another adult, especially when it was her, because she can't swim! She said that the lifeguards watch everyone, she watches me. That way if she sees I'm in trouble she can at least get them.

2) My parents did pull me out of a lifeguarded lake at least once. I started floating on my back and was just drifting away and no one else noticed. Dad had to jump in before I got too far away. I didn't realize anything was wrong in this case until he grabbed me (I didn't realize the water was carrying me away) but I was already far enough out that I would have had trouble swimming all the way back.

3) The best system I have seen in place was actually when I was a camp councelor. There every person in the water had a buddy that you were responsible for watching. So in addition to the lifeguards every child had another child looking for them. Every 10 min or so a buddy check would be called just to remind everyone that you should be with your buddy and know where they were. All the kids would hold hands and they would be counted as pairs and they were counted against a tally of how many were in the water. Only once did I ever see someone have to be pulled from the water but I believe the first person to notice wasn't a lifeguard but her buddy. The girl was one of the best swimmers in the camp, but she had an asthma attack in water too deep for her to stand.

It was a great system for keeping track of many kids. Not as easy to do as a place as WDW but it does give me one thing that would be great to do anytime your in water... in your own family assign everyone a buddy. That way everyone, not just you are watching for safety.

How incredibly tragic. My heart goes out the family and everyone who tried to save this child. Those poor parents, I am heartbroken for them.

Heartbreaking.

Someone up thread mentioned the drowning g at POP a few years ago. It was right before our stay there and I remember it well. That one was a teenager. He was with another group of teens and they were swimming late after the lifeguards were off duty.

I just cannot even begin to imagine. Im Sure the parents are blaming themselves no matter the circumstances. So sorry for the family.

It said in one of the articles that the child was separated from the parents at the resort. It kind of sounds like he wandered off and found his way to the pool. We won't know until they release more info, IF they release more info. I am sure it was crowded at the resort and the pool area. Kids can wander off in a second. How many of us have lost track of our kids at the store? It is terrifying even if it is just for a few seconds. I just can't stop thinking about those poor parents.

Op here. The scene was really a parents worst nightmare. The medics really tried to save him working on him for a long time the family was devastated crying etc. my dd 17 just could not take it and went inside crying. This was our first day here for her high school grad. I woke up this morning at 4:00 and could not sleep thinking about it. It is the most traumatic thing I have ever witnessed. Those poor parents lives are ruined. We are staying at pop but used the aoa bus and we arrived at the resort together with the ambulance/police.
(((HUGS))) I'm so sorry your trip started out this way. A few years ago I was scheduled to go on a Disney trip with my youngest two when our neighbor(and good friend) drowned in a reservoir while on a canoe trip with his youngest son. Tony managed to save his son, but lost his own life in the process. I was there when his wife and other children received the tragic news and it just haunted my every waking(and sleeping) moment. I remember thinking that I just could not go on the trip anymore because I was just too heartbroken. But my family and friends encouraged me to go. So I went to the funeral and then left for Disney with a heavy heart. I obviously didn't forget Tony while on the trip, but it did make me appreciate the time I had with my youngest children a lot more. I concentrated on creating and appreciating special moments with my babies. Switching my focus from mourning to celebrating my children helped me to tone down my sadness enough to enjoy the trip. So I'm going to encourage you all to try to move forward from here and do the same. Witnessing this tragedy may change the tone of your vacation a bit, but let it also be a reminder for you to enjoy every moment you have with your loved ones. More (((HUGS))).

When I was a lifeguard at a zero entry pool, there were two parents sitting in the entryway, with a 1ish year old running around them. The water was perhaps a foot deep, maybe 18 inches. The child fell immediately behind the parents, and couldn't stand up. (He was obviously just learning to walk.) They were within reaching distance to the child, but didn't see him in distress. I jumped in, saved the kid, but this sort of thing can happen in moments, especially with young children. Go hug your kids, guys. You never know what can happen, and it just isn't possible to be vigilant every waking moment of every day. (Heck, things happen when you're asleep!)

prayers for the family and all involved that witnessed this tragic event, so heartbreaking! RIP little man!

Drowning is preventable (as opposed to something like childhood cancer) but accidents still happen.

I remember when my dad got cancer at a too-young age, so many people asked me, did he smoke? It angered me. So if he smoked, he deserved it? What were they getting at? I hear this too sometimes when people have a heart attack...if they are obese, right away some people jump to that.

What they want to know is that this won't happen to them or someone they love because they don't do that. It's looking for some reassurance that a nightmare like this wouldn't happen to your family. Which is a natural human reaction, I get that. Trying to believe that we have control over everything.

Anyway, poor baby and poor parents. It's a horrible tragedy.

That poor family. It's so easy for little ones to slip away & with such large grounds hard to find them fast. Just heartbreaking.

I feel terrible for these parents -- especially since my son is about the same age, which makes it very easy to imagine how something like this might happen. It's amazing how small children seem to gravitate towards the most dangerous thing in any given area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter