Driving to PE with rental car

JulieBeeRN

DIS Veteran
DVC Silver
Has anyone driven from Orlando to PE? Just curious about people's experience with dropping off a rental car and taking a shuttle to PE.

Is drop-off at FLL airport or another location?

You may want to check for threads on Cruise Critic to find info, as they cover the multiple cruise lines that have been at PE for years.

On an initial search about rental car shuttles, here’s Budget’s info. You should be able to find similar for other companies.

IMG_6901.jpeg

(I do not have experience with this. I rented a car at FLL, drove it one day and perhaps returned it the following. I don’t know if I then taxied or shuttled to the port. It’s been 10 years and a lot of vacations ago).

Last edited:
It's at the rental car location. Thanks for the suggestion! I'll head over there and see what I can find out.

Yes, I just did it a couple of weeks ago. It's a bit of a drive, but not too bad if you leave early enough to avoid the worst of the traffic. I did National, so actually dropped the car off at the airport (which is pretty much across the street from the cruise terminal). We dropped luggage and one person off first, then I drove the car to the airport and grabbed a rideshare back to port.

Have you looked at using Brightline?
FWIW, Brightline had some issues last week. There were two separate fatal accidents at the same crossing. They unfortunately have a bit of a history of accidents. I don't think they are usually fatal to train passengers (the recent accidents were fatal to car passengers), but they still have the potential to put a huge snag in travel.

Yeah, I saw that news. That can happen with any train line unfortunately. We see that on occasion with the commuter trains here in Toronto.

But I bring up Brightline since the station is right at MCO, and you're a short uber/taxi ride away from Port Everglades.

But, an Uber/taxi from FLL is quick as well if you decide to drop off there instead of at Port Everglades.

Well, after speaking with my husband, we decided to take the train. I’ve gone back and forth on the train vs driving and hopefully I made the right decision.

FWIW, Brightline had some issues last week. There were two separate fatal accidents at the same crossing. They unfortunately have a bit of a history of accidents. I don't think they are usually fatal to train passengers (the recent accidents were fatal to car passengers), but they still have the potential to put a huge snag in travel.
Hopefully people will get used the trains soon. Houston had a massive problem with people/cars hitting the trains (light rail) when they first starting running. I am hoping to try the Brightline from Ft Lauderdale to Orlando in two weeks.

I’ve used Brightline for two Miami sailings (flying in/out of Fort Lauderdale). I was very pleased with the product. The facilities were clean and modern and the employees were helpful and friendly.

We we’re surprised with a change on the second use; they had added a luggage fee for larger bags, which had to be checked.

Did the drive from Orlando to PE for a New Years cruise. We ended up just parking the car and extending the rental and paying for parking. Know it wasn't the most cost effective way but the idea of doing the return to the airport and having to do two shuttles didn't make sense. I was also fortunate that National didn't treat MCO to FLL as a one way rental as well.

Did the drive from Orlando to PE for a New Years cruise. We ended up just parking the car and extending the rental and paying for parking. Know it wasn't the most cost effective way but the idea of doing the return to the airport and having to do two shuttles didn't make sense. I was also fortunate that National didn't treat MCO to FLL as a one way rental as well.
Unless you needed mobility-accessible transportation, you probably could have used a rideshare from the car rental location to the port, though I thought National's FLL location was in the airport's garage. (FLL is adjacent to Port Everglades. If you exit Port Everglades at Eller Drive it is less than 90 seconds to the airport (from the port exit, assuming a green traffic light at exit).

It sounds like your major concern was time, not money. And I have to say that, in the Fort Lauderdale area, it's not an issue unless you're late getting into town.

It is about 4 miles from the taxi stand to the Port Everglades terminals. If you include walking from the car rental centre to the taxi stand in T1, it's maybe 30 minutes from car drop off to the terminal. And when you come back, it's going to be under 10 minutes by taxi to get back to FLL.

Just food for thought for the next time you sail out of Port Everglades.

I’ve used Brightline for two Miami sailings (flying in/out of Fort Lauderdale). I was very pleased with the product. The facilities were clean and modern and the employees were helpful and friendly.

We we’re surprised with a change on the second use; they had added a luggage fee for larger bags, which had to be checked.

I thought I read that you could bring 28" luggage under 50 pounds? What size are you referring to?

Yes, I just did it a couple of weeks ago. It's a bit of a drive, but not too bad if you leave early enough to avoid the worst of the traffic. I did National, so actually dropped the car off at the airport (which is pretty much across the street from the cruise terminal). We dropped luggage and one person off first, then I drove the car to the airport and grabbed a rideshare back to port.
How easy was it to drop off someone with their luggage? I plan to drop off my older mother with our bags and her mobility scooter and I go and drop off the rental car.

Watching a few vlogs and it seems easy enough, but that is my only "unknown" with this new terminal.

Thanks!

While the port can be busy, it is also fairly easy to navigate. There are really 3 roads of note.

If you are driving from points north to Fort Lauderdale and are on 95 and sailing DCL, I'd get off 95 at Davie Blvd, go east to US1, go south (right) 5 blocks to SE 17th Street, make a left (east), and make a right into Port Everglades at Eisenhower Boulevard. If you wanted wine, you could stop at Publix or Total Beverage, which will be on your right on 17th Street at Cordova Road (just past the Embassy Suites). There IS a gas station on the south side of 17th Street at Miami Road. It tends to be a little more expensive than other stations in the area. but it is slightly more convenient if you're eastbound on 17th the other alternatives.

There are Walgreens at the "right" corner of Davie and YS1 and 17th and Eisenhower, making for easy entrance/exit.

How easy was it to drop off someone with their luggage? I plan to drop off my older mother with our bags and her mobility scooter and I go and drop off the rental car.

Watching a few vlogs and it seems easy enough, but that is my only "unknown" with this new terminal.

Thanks!
Very easy. Bit of a line, but it moves well. Just pull up to the curb, drop off who/what you need to, and then drive on. If you've been to Port Canaveral, this is maybe not quite as easy as that, but it's still pretty easy. There are people everywhere too to direct you, just follow the signs.

One thing to note: they check IDs at the entrance to the port (at least when we were there). So have your ID/passport ready (and just tell them what ship you're sailing on).

Very easy. Bit of a line, but it moves well. Just pull up to the curb, drop off who/what you need to, and then drive on. If you've been to Port Canaveral, this is maybe not quite as easy as that, but it's still pretty easy. There are people everywhere too to direct you, just follow the signs.

One thing to note: they check IDs at the entrance to the port (at least when we were there). So have your ID/passport ready (and just tell them what ship you're sailing on).
Thank you so much! I am the type of person that needs to know each step :) I really appreciate the info!

I thought I read that you could bring 28" luggage under 50 pounds? What size are you referring to?
I like your follow through! Just as we experienced a change in luggage allowance between our first and second trip, it looks like they have changed them again.

It was that 28” large bag that we had to pay to check (checking was required) in late 2022 (but not that Spring).

I think they are trying to figure out their business model - and what customers will not tolerate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter