Driving to MCO avoiding tolls

DisneyDeb83

Mouseketeer
is it possible to get to MCO without paying tolls? We rented from Budget and didn’t want to pay the $50 for Sunpass. And of course, I forgot to pack change, and it’s impossible to get any on property. Also, how much time would it take? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Yes it is, it takes a little while longer though. I forget since when we did it it was during rush hour traffic so it took at least an hour to get to Disney

There should be a way to use your map function and select no toll roads, to get an idea of the route

is it possible to get to MCO without paying tolls? We rented from Budget and didn’t want to pay the $50 for Sunpass. And of course, I forgot to pack change, and it’s impossible to get any on property. Also, how much time would it take? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
I guess you've already left the airport? They've got some sort of free toll pass vending machine, or something. Even though there are no toll roads where I live I broke down and ordered a Sunpass transponder, since it can be used in a variety of states so I've never tried the free option. But maybe it's possible you can return to the airport and try? That way, as you drive around, you won't have to use non-toll roads.

Yes...BUT....... much much longer. The roads will have redlights and heavy traffic.

Use I-4 to get to Sandlake , head east.

Google Maps, turn off toll roads.

Yes, but it's a bit of a PITA. The many lakes in the Orlando area make traveling across town only on surface roads rather convoluted and time-consuming.

You can use the toll lanes on 417 anyway and trigger toll-by-plate, but your rental company will also charge a hefty "processing fee" to send you the bill, and they also tend to wait a while to send it, so you get hit with the fine as well. I wouldn't advise it in a rental. (In a personal vehicle it's no problem, as you can just register your car and pay it on the ePass app, but that doesn't work in a rental because the plate is already registered to the rental company, so they automatically get the bill first if the car has no other transponder or if the transponder is registered to them as owner.)

As you missed the free visitor toll passes at MCO, which is the only place to get them, your choice pretty much boils down to cash. The main entrance and exit ramps for WDW and MCO on 417 are apparently manned again and will give change for cash. If you can't rustle up $3.50 by making a few small cash purchases during your trip, you can try going to your hotel's main desk to get change if you need it; they should be willing to give you this much if they have it, as it's less than $5 for the airport tolls. You could also try a bank; there are a few branches located in Celebration and near the SR435 intersection.

Note that the PAYTOLLO app does not work for rentals in Florida.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! Good to know that 417 has manned booths, because on the way here the one toll we saw off of I-4 was not. I’m always afraid to get stuck in traffic heading back to MCO, so we are planning on leaving by 3:30 from HS for a 7:15 flight, much to my DD’s annoyance! Will probably go with 417.

Thanks everyone! Good to know that 417 has manned booths, because on the way here the one toll we saw off of I-4 was not. I’m always afraid to get stuck in traffic heading back to MCO, so we are planning on leaving by 3:30 from HS for a 7:15 flight, much to my DD’s annoyance! Will probably go with 417.
While the mainline toll booths are staffed, any on/off ramp toll is not. Most ramp tolls will accept coins, but not all do. FL law no longer allows for cash tolls. Existing cash tolls are grandfathered in, but any new tolls must be cashless.

Yikes, may be better then to go with no toll roads just in case. Thanks again!
Try getting change at a gas station, you will probably have to fill up the car before returning it anyways! It is so much easier to take the toll roads to the airport and it's not expensive. Or allow yourself extra time on top of whatever the map app estimates, crazy things happen on Orlando roads.

I’ve been getting change throughout today, I’m just nervous there may be an unmanned toll booth, then we’d have to do charge by plate and possibly get a service charge from budget.

I’ve been getting change throughout today, I’m just nervous there may be an unmanned toll booth, then we’d have to do charge by plate and possibly get a service charge from budget.
If you use Waze, it will tell you what the tolls are ahead of time. Right now, it looks like from Disney to MCO using 528, it is a $2.75 toll. If you use 417, it is $3.50 (there are 2 manned tolls on 417, $1.75 each). The non toll route is about 20 minutes longer.

Great news, we are most familiar with 417, and I managed to scrape up 5 bucks in quarters, so I feel so much better. Thanks again everyone!

In the future, you might consider getting the visitor toll pass. I believe you register for it and they have a vending machine at the airport where you get the mirror hanger. Return it when you go back to the airport. I think you get the discounted rates using it. Search for visitor toll pass Orlando to find the link.

Your other option is to get a Uni pass. It’s a suction cup unit for the windshield and you do get discounted toll rates. You do have to pre-load your account and the unit costs $12-14. You save enough in rental car toll fees and discounted tolls to pay for it with your first use. Just don’t forget to remove it and delete the rental car from your account after returning the car.

Will definitely be better prepared next time, since I’m sure the day is coming that it will all be totally cashless! Thanks for all the advice!

I picked up a "visitor toll pass" at the airport when I was there last week. It worked really well. When I mapped out options without tolls, my maps estimated over 50 minutes, versus 27 minutes with tolls.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter