Driving to Disneyland from San Diego

I can see why you were confused - I've removed the link to MaryJo's jpg in my original post so it's more obvious that I've included a link to a Mapquest map. Click on it and it will plot out the route that NWTmagic needs. Sorry that wasn't obvious before.

unn, I am not confused at all, to be talking about the San Diego area that some posters asked me.

You jumped into the middle of the discussion with inappropriate information for the travlers, and quite truthfully, created a bit of confusion, then changed your post and seemed to imply that somehow I am confused about talking about traveling to and from San Diego...a place I live.

but thank you for your efforts.

Thanks for the information about the trip from Escondito. Can I also ask, what speeds to people drive on average on that freeway (I-5). I remember being in the Bay Area and people drove on average 80mph, some drove much faster.
Maybe it's the times that I usually drive it, but I'd say the average speed is more like 70-75. And when you're in the section between Oceanside and San Clemente (aka the Camp Pendleton Marine Corps base) it's faster than that - I call it the Camp Pendleton Raceway! It generally slows down some from San Clemente on, depending on traffic, of course. If you'd rather drive slower stay in the two right hand lanes - though sometimes they move pretty fast, too. Me, I usually just go with the flow of traffic and don't pay much attention to how fast I'm going! :)

Maybe it's the times that I usually drive it, but I'd say the average speed is more like 70-75. And when you're in the section between Oceanside and San Clemente (aka the Camp Pendleton Marine Corps base) it's faster than that - I call it the Camp Pendleton Raceway! It generally slows down some from San Clemente on, depending on traffic, of course. If you'd rather drive slower stay in the two right hand lanes - though sometimes they move pretty fast, too. Me, I usually just go with the flow of traffic and don't pay much attention to how fast I'm going! :)

True, but there is a big slowdown at the Border Patrol checkpoint if its operating. And I know CHP is starting to show themselves more, or maybe I just notice them more! hehehehe

I did notice on our last drive that after San Clemente, it actually speeded up! that was lucky! all three previous trips, an accident or road work kept the speeds low! But even with the slow traffic or an accident, the drive from San Diego has never been more that two hours for us!

AND FOR THOSE COMING IN FROM OUT OF TOWN: If you see a construction sign on the highway, be aware that traffic files double! and often there is a CHP unit assigned AT the beginning of the construction zone!

Most of the time the speeds are 65-70, there are a few that go faster, but you run the risk of a CHP encounter! and an added danger is that if you are going much faster than traffic flow, sometimes you can run into a "slow" area due to accident, road work, etc. and that would not be fun if you got into a fender bender.

If there are more that two people in the vehicle, you CAN use the HOV express lanes! that can help!

I know it sounds bad coming from outside the area, but it is actually pretty quick driving there.

Thanks for the help! I am in the DC area, which is supposed to be almost as bad as southern CA. Sometimes it takes me 2 hours to get from my house to Dulles airport, which is just 20 miles away.

Thanks for the help! I am in the DC area, which is supposed to be almost as bad as southern CA. Sometimes it takes me 2 hours to get from my house to Dulles airport, which is just 20 miles away.

Well, I have had to travel a lot, and Dulles is one of my favorite airports!!!

hehehehe

OF course, I only had to rent a car and drive down to Fairfax!

The GPS is about the only way to go! I know Hertz offers its "neverlost" system, but I am not sure about the others. After the first few times, I just bought one and put it in my briefcase!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter