Driving to Disneyland from San Diego

mom3girls2007

Mouseketeer
We are spending the week in San Diego for spring break in March but are too close to Disneyland not to go for at least one day! On a weekday morning (Wed. or Thursday) what time should we leave in San Diego to get to Disneyland at 9 a.m.? I realize we will be dealing with rush hour traffic. How bad will it be? Should we avoid it by driving in the night before and staying in Anaheim?

It's about 100 miles and about 2 hours (a little less)
with no traffic. Plan on another 30-40 minutes for
a weekday morning and you're looking at leaving SD
at 6:30AM. 7AM might do it.

It's hard to say if you should drive out the night before.
Depending on when you leave SD you might not be
saving too much drive time.

If you're leaving from Mission Valley/Downtown or around there, count on 6:30. If you're leaving from Miramar or anywhere else North County, you could probably get away with leaving at 7. Have fun!

I drive from San Diego to DL fairly regularly. Rush hour traffic going north really isn't that bad - it's afternoon that north is bad. Leaving my house (which is a few miles north of Mission Valley) at 7:00 I can be at the turnstiles by 9:00 (after parking and riding the tram) usually with no problem. From downtown/Mission Valley you'd probably be fine leaving by 6:45 (that means sitting in your car at 6:45, not leaving your room at 6:45!)

One thing I would recommend is NOT taking the Disney Way exit off of I5 - you can spend a lot of time making your way to parking if you do that, depending on where they make you park.

Go past Disney Way and exit on Harbor Blvd. Go right at the top of the exit ramp, and then get in the left lane to turn left at the next stop light onto Ball Road. From there, you're going to turn left onto Disneyland Drive (I think it's the second stop light), and then follow the Theme Park signs - you'll park in the Mickey and Friends parking structure. From there take the tram to the park entrance.

ScooterL,

Do you have any advice on how to get from San Diego (we're staying at the Homewood Suites, near the airport) to the LA Sports Arena near USC?

Thanks.

ScooterL,

Do you have any advice on how to get from San Diego (we're staying at the Homewood Suites, near the airport) to the LA Sports Arena near USC?

Thanks.

The Sports Arena is off of the 110 freeway. The best way to get there would be to take the 5 freeway north till it turns into the 405, continue north until you hit the 110, and go north. I think you get off on Exposition, but not sure. On the map below, the Sports arena is roughly a little north of the 110/Manchester street area.

11450map_la_oc1.jpg

I drive from San Diego to DL fairly regularly. Rush hour traffic going north really isn't that bad - it's afternoon that north is bad. Leaving my house (which is a few miles north of Mission Valley) at 7:00 I can be at the turnstiles by 9:00 (after parking and riding the tram) usually with no problem. From downtown/Mission Valley you'd probably be fine leaving by 6:45 (that means sitting in your car at 6:45, not leaving your room at 6:45!)

One thing I would recommend is NOT taking the Disney Way exit off of I5 - you can spend a lot of time making your way to parking if you do that, depending on where they make you park.

Go past Disney Way and exit on Harbor Blvd. Go right at the top of the exit ramp, and then get in the left lane to turn left at the next stop light onto Ball Road. From there, you're going to turn left onto Disneyland Drive (I think it's the second stop light), and then follow the Theme Park signs - you'll park in the Mickey and Friends parking structure. From there take the tram to the park entrance.

I have to thank you for this...I'm going to be in SD in July and want to go up to DL one or two days to check out the parks (last time I was there was when I was 2, so I obviously don't remember it). I will be bringing my TomTom as well.

ScooterL, can you tell me what time we would need to leave Coronado to get to DL at opening? Thanks!

Hmm...depends on when park opening is! As a general rule, I'd allow two hours for driving from Coronado, plus 30 minutes to deal with parking and riding the tram to the park entrance.

If the park opens at 8:00, then you should be fine if you leave at 5:30. You might make it if you leave at 6:00, but you'll probably still be at the parking garage rather than the turnstiles.

If the park opens at 9:00 then you probably would still be ok leaving at 6:30. The thing I don't know is when the morning commute traffic on the Coronado Bridge and through downtown San Diego starts. I think it's more of an issue between 7:00 and 8:00, though.

ScooterL, can you tell me what time we would need to leave Coronado to get to DL at opening? Thanks!

The advantage is that the majority of the commute traffic in San Diego at that time of day will be coming toward you. if you get on the bridge about that time, take 5 north you should be able to make some good time!

Escondido is about 12 miles north of me, and I drive up interstate 15, through Escondido, then over to interstate 5 on I78, and right up to Disneyland. It takes me about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, depending on traffiic. And I say that because all it takes is one fender bender for the freeway to get backed up a bit!!

Amtrak?

you could try. I understand that they have a stop that has a bus that goes to Disneyland.

I prefer to have my own vehicle and not rely on public transportation schedules. Also, Amtrak has had problems with people and cars getting hit, and the train breaking down. Then you get to ride a bus, after being evacuated from the train.

Thanks for the information about the trip from Escondito. Can I also ask, what speeds to people drive on average on that freeway (I-5). I remember being in the Bay Area and people drove on average 80mph, some drove much faster.

Thanks for the information about the trip from Escondito. Can I also ask, what speeds to people drive on average on that freeway (I-5). I remember being in the Bay Area and people drove on average 80mph, some drove much faster.

Most of the time the speeds are 65-70, there are a few that go faster, but you run the risk of a CHP encounter! and an added danger is that if you are going much faster than traffic flow, sometimes you can run into a "slow" area due to accident, road work, etc. and that would not be fun if you got into a fender bender.

If there are more that two people in the vehicle, you CAN use the HOV express lanes! that can help!

I know it sounds bad coming from outside the area, but it is actually pretty quick driving there.

The Sports Arena is off of the 110 freeway. The best way to get there would be to take the 5 freeway north till it turns into the 405, continue north until you hit the 110, and go north. I think you get off on Exposition, but not sure. On the map below, the Sports arena is roughly a little north of the 110/Manchester street area.

Here's the Mapquest map, pretty much what MaryJo said.

thats a nice map, its a copy of the one she posted just a few posts prior, but it dosn't show Coronado or Escondido like the poster was talking about.

I do suggest that anyone not familer with Southern California either bring or rent a GPS. Cause I can tell you from experience all over this great country, trying to read a map while driving in an unfamiler city is really not fun! hehehehe

A Magellan roadmate was the best investment I had ever made!

(I had to travel a LOT for work)

thats a nice map, its a copy of the one she posted just a few posts prior, but it dosn't show Coronado or Escondido like the poster was talking about.
I was addressing the question from NWTmagic (post #6), as was MaryJo. So the Mapquest map starts at Homewood Suites in SD.

I was addressing the question from NWTmagic (post #6), as was MaryJo. So the Mapquest map starts at Homewood Suites in SD.

Hmm, well the eight posts prior to your map were talking about San Diego, Coronado, and escondido. And the map you posted is a duplicate of the one Mary Jo posted (actually a quote of hers!). And again, you map dosn't cover the subject area we were talking about. but thanks for the effort.

For those that need further info About the San Diego area, there are a multitude of maps available, but I will not bother posting them, as you can eaisly access them as shown!

There Are some web sites available that has San Diego tourist info available, if you want to hang around here! (since I live here, I would rather go to Disneyland anyway!! hehehehehe)

If you need some links I can post them for you.

have a good vacation!

Hmm, well the eight posts prior to your map were talking about San Diego, Coronado, and escondido. And the map you posted is a duplicate of the one Mary Jo posted (actually a quote of hers!). And again, you map dosn't cover the subject area we were talking about. but thanks for the effort.
I can see why you were confused - I've removed the link to MaryJo's jpg in my original post so it's more obvious that I've included a link to a Mapquest map. Click on it and it will plot out the route that NWTmagic needs. Sorry that wasn't obvious before.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter