driving to Disney with a Motorhome

welovemickey

Disney Junkie
Hi all, we just bought a Class C motorhome and are driving to WDW towing our car. We were wondering if anyone else on these boards has done this. If so, how was the motorhome on gas mileage? We're driving from Mass in 2 weeks. We usually drive down with a pop-up and can make the trip in about 23 hours. Will it take longer with a motorhome?

Any advice is appreciated.

Congratulations on your new motorhome! We have been to WDW in our newest motorhome 3 times within the last year and a half and once before that in our first motorhome. We always enjoy the trip down very much. We are from PA and it takes us about 17 hours. My husband (god bless him) does all the driving. The 1st day we leave around 4 a.m. and he drives approx. 12 hours and then we stop at the KOA in Point South, SC (real close to the GA border) it is really nice there with great pull-thru sites a pretty lake a swimming pool and our favorite-- a large hot tub. The 1st time we went we made the mistake of stopping at South of the Border and other tourist traps. We felt it was a real waste of time and have never done it again. We look forward to getting to KOA while it's still early enough to enjoy seeing the lake and relaxing in the hot tub. So we now choose not to stop at all except when we have to for gas and bathroom breaks for my hubby. I premake tuna, egg, and chicken salad for lunch and already have planned what we will have for dinner once we arrive at Point South, usually something I can make quick on the stovetop or in the microwave so we don't have to unpack the grill. We don't unload much of anything in PT South nor do we put our awning out, we want to be ready to go bright and early in the morning so we can make it to Fort Wilderness by lunchtime or so. Our first day at FW we set-up camp and have a nice dinner (usually at Chef Mickey's) but don't usually go in to the parks, we save that for a full day usually when we have some relaxing under our belts. Are you staying in Fort Widerness? You will fall in love with it if you already haven't. Let me know if I can help you with any other questions. Motorhomes and Ft Wilderness are my 2 favorite subjects!

Hi, thanks for the reply. We've been to FW 6 times with our pop-up and do love it there! It's by far the nicest campground. We usually drive straight thru, but I think this time we'll stop overnight. The campground in SC you described sounds nice.

Do you ever tow a car behind the motorhome? If so, does it make it much more difficult?

Yes, we tow our Jeep and my husband says he doesn't think it slowed us down at all and it hardly affected our gas mileage. He said he hardly knows it's there. You will love the campground in Pt South if you do decide to stop. Have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter