Driving to Catalina Island

FallDisney

Mouseketeer
We're considering giving up our Super Shuttle reservation and renting a car instead. We'll be flying into John Wayne Airport this time instead of LAX.

Can anyone give me an idea of how bad the traffic is from Anaheim to Catalina Island? I'm coming from an area with an abundance of highway miles per person, so I would anticipate driving out there will take me twice as long as it would take me here.

Any help or guidance is appreciated!

The only way to Catalina Island is by ferry or helicopter.
The closed ferry landing to DL would either be Long Beach or Dana Point. Each one is about 45 minutes, I believe.

Sherry is an expert when it comes to Catalina, I hope she pipes in and gives you some advice. It really is a pretty and laid back island, you will enjoy it.:thumbsup2

I would take the ferry from Long Beach. It is right next to the Queen Mary, which you can walk around on and it's really cool. The chopper is pricier than the ferry but quicker.

Driving in the 405 either way is up in the air on which direction is faster. It all depends on what day and time you come in, the weather, any sig alerts that may be in effect at the time, etc. I'd still pick Long Beach if it was me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter