Driving Tips?

chapie1968

DIS Veteran
We are thinking of driving down from NJ instead of flying for the first time in about 10 years. "Kids" are 18 and 22 and 2 small dogs, so between the wife and my son we have 3 drivers.

Any tips for the road?
Activities, stops, food, drink, trash, anything like that.

Last edited:
We are thinking of driving down from NJ for the first time in about 10 years. "Kids" are 18 and 22 and 2 small dogs, so between the wife and my son we have 3 drivers.

Any tips for the road?
Activities, stops, food, drink, trash, anything like that.
I would like some info on this too. I am planning to become a snowbird and will be driving with my three cats. Talk about the need for planning!

I would like some info on this too. I am planning to become a snowbird and will be driving with my three cats. Talk about the need for planning!

Well, the difference between you and OP is that OP has 3 drivers...unless your cats can drive. In that case, please film it. :D

I think it's more a matter if you WANT to. That's a long time to be in the car, together. With 3 drivers, I'd rotate every stop. Your bladder and fuel tank will probably dictate stop frequency. However, if you can get 350 miles per tank, that's about 5 hours of driving. There are countless large rest stops along the major highways...Love's, Pilot, etc...as you approach your 5 hours, start looking for one and stop. Grab food, drink, etc... Pack small snacks, as well as a small trash bag to help keep the car clean.

Good luck!!!

Books on tape. They make the drive more enjoyable and give the driver something to listen to that is engaging. I drive almost everywhere and that is what I do (I even use them to keep my occupied on my hour long commute to work). Other then that, you could break the trip up into segments and have a little site seeing adventure on the way down and back up... not something I normally do but it can be nice if you have the time on the trip.

And when you stop plan for enough time for people to stretch their legs a little...

For the poster becoming a snow bird - I don’t know if you have family on the way to Florida but my grandparents would make the drive annually from Florida to their summer home in Nova Scotia... they would stop off at my parents house in PA and stay a week or so, that made the trip better. They also, as they got older, broke the trip into smaller and smaller chunks and would stop much more frequently and end the day earlier. When they started they would easily do 12 plus hours of driving in a day but towards the end of their trips up there they would do more like 6 to 8 hours a day at the most.

We travel with our dogs, although not to WDW. We usually pack a cooler and stop at rest areas along the highway for lunch. Make sure to pack water bowls for your dogs; ours get carsick sometimes, so we don't feed them until we stop for the night or get where we are going--we have stayed in a hotel with them but prefer to drive it all in one day. Stopping at a rest area allows places to walk them and let them run off some energy (on leashes with a harness, the kids take them and run and everybody wins).

We drive from GA to NJ twice a year. It usually takes us 16 hours. That is with only stops for gas/restroom & eating. Always fast food. Don’t recommend a sit down meal, takes too much time. We have left very early in am (before 6 am) & later at night the night before if we find we can get a jump on it. Use a navigation device. Helps with traffic slow downs when there is construction or accidents. You didn’t mention what time of year or when you plan to go. If it’s during the winter, watch the weather reports. If around a holiday, be prepared for more traffic.

We have driven from Pa. more times than I can remember!! I have a husband who HATES to fly but will if necessary. My number one advice for everyone is to drink a ton of water. We hate to travel in the dark so we usually stop around 7 for the night. We have a strange cat who happens to love the car so he travels well. A stop at the Florida welcome center is a must for us. We have to get our cup of orange/grapefruit juice. Safe travels.

We drive from Montreal, QC to FL every year. We either drive straight-thru or stop for one night depending on time of year and how exhausted we are. Having three drivers I wouldn’t stop. Alternate who drives, who keeps the driver alert and who sleeps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter