Driving from TX - Katrina Damage?

Julie_Loves_Disney

Earning My Ears
Hi all!

Newbie here. I'm trying to plan our road trip from Dallas, TX to the Kissimmee area for our June 2007 Disney vacation. I'm considereing NOT taking I-10 because I'm afraid there will be nowhere to stay at our halfway point due to Katrina damage. I also don't think seeing all the mess would be a good way to start such a happy trip (although I'm sure it's my American duty to see it for myself.) I just don't want to. I'm WAY too sensitive for that. I can't even stand to watch the daily Dallas news... I don't want those images in my young children's minds either...

Anyway... The best I've found so far (IMHO) is to go through Birmingham, AL (stopping there) and Atlanta, GA. Mapquest says that should be a 9 hour, 49 minute 1st day and a 8 hour, 58 minute 2nd day. Google says it's much longer than that, but it also takes me through Texarkana on the first day, and instead of going through Atlanta, it hops back on I-10 (which is what I'm trying to avoid...

Any opinions?

TIA!

We traveled the I-10 corridor to Disney earlier this year (June) for our trip to Disney from the Houston area. I had some of the same concerns that you did and we found out the following info. Many of the hotels along I-10 in the Biloxi area are booked with workers restoring the area. We however had no problem booking a hotel for our return trip in the Mobile area along I-10. We stayed in the Tallahasse area the first night on our trip out. No problem there either. Insofar as road conditions the only problem area is the I-10 bridge in the Pensacola area especially on the eastbound side. They are still restoring it from Hurricane Ivan. During the high traffic times of the daylight hours there can be quite a backup there (It goes down to one lane). We took the bypass around it described on the Florida transportation website. It maybe delayed us about 15 minutes. On the way back there was no problem on the westbound side but we noticed maybe a 2 to 3 mile backup on the eastbound side at the bridge. Hope this helps and enjoy your Disney trip. We can't wait to go back.

doubled07
Texas

Thank you SO much for your reply! I was beginning to think that people only drove to Disney from the NE. :)

What was it like to see all the damage? Did you have kids with you?

You'd be much better going on I-12 around New Orleans, rather than I-10 through it. In Baton Rouge, get onto 12, and it will take you North of New Orleans, and you won't hardly notice any damage at all...maybe the trees will look damaged once you get into Mississippi, but its not like there are going to be homeless families or flooded buildings on the way. ;) I can't imagine going way out of the way like Atl or Bham, because there's really nothing to avoid on I-10!

Also, not sure what would be halfway for a stopping point for you, but we are in Mandeville/Covington LA area, and there are a lot of nice (some brand new) hotels on I-12 I could recommend. It's a nice, safe, clean area, and you wouldn't know there was a hurricane here.

I guess my point is - go whichever way is quickest! Don't avoid I-10 b/c you're worried about what you will see, because its not there! I drive between Mobile and New Orleans all the time, and from the interstate, everything looks normal.

doubled07 said:
Insofar as road conditions the only problem area is the I-10 bridge in the Pensacola area especially on the eastbound side. They are still restoring it from Hurricane Ivan. During the high traffic times of the daylight hours there can be quite a backup there (It goes down to one lane). We took the bypass around it
Great idea. We live in Pensacola and have to bypass that bridge daily. Here's what you do: As you're heading Eastbound on 10 through Pensacola; look for the exit labeled 'Scenic Highway'. It will be the last exit before the above mentioned bridge. After taking the Scenic Highway exit; make a left at the light at the bottom of the exit ramp. At this time you will be on Scenic Highway. Travel Scenic Highway north until it merges with Highway 90(no way you can miss the merge). Once merged onto highway 90; travel east until you see 'Avalon Boulevard'. Turn right on Avalon Boulevard and travel south until you see the sighn for I-10 East. And you're all set. It will save you invaluable time if you are coming through the area during the daylight hours. If you happen to be coming through the area from 7 P.M. - 4 A.M.; then you should just go on acrooss the bridge without exiting as traffic will be very light during those hours.

There is really no need at all to take yourself so far out of the way as B-ham and ATL. I think it would be a serious waste of your time and gas. Good Luck. PM if you have any further driving questions around the Mobile to Tallahassee areas.

I totally agree that the main damage you'll see on I-10 is around the Biloxi area and that is mainly downed billboads and the like. By the time you travel in 2007 I would think all of that will be cleaned up too. I also agree to take the Highway 12 bypass around NO (we did this too) in Baton Rouge and connects back to I-10 in the Slidell area. This will save you alot of time. We only stopped in the Covington area for fuel and a short pit stop but I also agree that the area certainly looks and appears safe with several hotels in the area. If you want to you go futher than that on your first day I would certainly consider the Mobile area but by then the Biloxi/Moss Point area may be ok too. Just don't go out of your way because of the damage you think you may see from I-10 because it's very minimal and I'm not trying to minimize what the folks in that area went thru. At this point I would think they would really appreciate your business. Have a great trip.

doubled07
Texas

I live in South Louisiana and also recently (June 2006) drove to Disney.

I agree with all the previous posters. In Baton Rouge....take I-12....you save about an hour of driving without having to go thru New Orleans.

We really didn't see much damage along the way except for the billboards and a few downed trees in Mississippi. We did get backed up for about an hour in Pensacola when the bridge goes down to one lane.

I wish I had done my homework and found the "scenic route" bypass mentioned earlier in this thread.

We stopped in Tallahassee on the way to Orlando and then stopped in Mobile, AL on the return trip. If your stopping point was going to be Biloxi....it may be fine by the time you travel. If not, Mobile is only another hour down the road (at the most).

Speed :teleport:

We drove from Dallas back in 2004.

We took I20 to Jackson MS, then US98 from Jackson to Hattiesburg then US49 from Hattisburg to Mobile, AL. From there we got on I10 to Lake City, FL when we got on I75. Then I75 to Floridas Turnpike to I4. It worked out perfect. Plenty of places to stop and get food. Plus gas was cheaper this way.

Took us 14 hours to get to Lake City. We could have driven straight through but we passed the point of deposit on the room.

We thought about going through Baton Rouge/New Orleans and the coast of I10 through MS but some friends drove that way to Daytona and said it was horrible. Very boring. They came back the reverse as I said above.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, everyone. I'm glad to hear the damage doesn't look as bad as my mother-in-law says. I should know better. She's a liar! ;)

Anyway... Most of you seem to think that the Birmingham/Atlanta route is much longer. It's only 85 miles different.

I asked a friend originally from Orlando about his route home. He suggested Nebsky's route.

Looks like I have a decision to make. :confused3

Thanks again for all the advice! :wave2:

We drove down in June, I agree to take I-12 from Baton Rouge to Slidell rather than I-10. We drove during the night, be aware that many formerly 24hour restaurants, including Waffle House, are no longer operating 24 hours (even though many of their sign still indicate that they are) they are batling a shortage of employees. The roadway itself is in pretty good shape, with the exception of the Escambia Bay bridge in FL from the storms two years ago. Finding gasoline was no problem :) If you use common sense and avoid the most devasted areas, you should be able to find lodging OK.

Thanks for the good info. We're coming from Houston and were
also wondering what to expect.

Julie_Loves_Disney said:
Most of you seem to think that the Birmingham/Atlanta route is much longer. It's only 85 miles different.
There's no way it's only 85 miles longer.

Checking my math, I did find a miscalculation. It's a 90.66 mile difference. I know that seems impossible, but that's what Mapquest says...

Allen, TX to Kissimme via I-10 is 1160 mi.

Allen, TX to Birmingham, AL + Birm to Kissimme via Atlanta is 1250.66 mi.

and i figured out why i thought it would be much further than that. for some reason i was thinking allen was way farther south in tx, closer to houston.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter