• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Driving from Toronto to Orlando - tips, tricks, advice!

Jo-Anne

DIS Veteran
I recently retired and my husband has 2 weeks of vacation to burn before end of April, so to help alleviate some of the stress of timing of testing and with the ability to drive back to Canada if we test positive, we are thinking of driving down to Florida 2nd week of April. We are leaving from Toronto and both of us will share the driving and I believe we could do 8-10 hours a day.

For those who have driven, where are the logical stops for each night for hotel stay; are there any must-see stops? I think we will stay 7 nights in Orlando area and maybe 2 nights on Gulf Coast side to get some beach time (any suggestions of nice areas on Gulf Coast beach to stay couple of nights?). Is second week of April a good time to avoid any major holidays/breaks etc? We've never done this drive, so any advice, tips etc are appreciated! Thanks

We drive from Eastern Ontario, so our route and stops are different. We do tend to do our over 2 days each way - 2 3-hour shifts each isn't that hard to take. The end of the 2nd week of April will be quite busy - that is Easter Weekend. I would check one of the online crowd calendars to see just how big the predicted crowd levels will be.
We like Siesta Key on the Gulf coast (beautiful beach) but Clearwater would be more popular if you are looking for a more active area with things to do.

We drive from Eastern Ontario, so our route and stops are different. We do tend to do our over 2 days each way - 2 3-hour shifts each isn't that hard to take. The end of the 2nd week of April will be quite busy - that is Easter Weekend. I would check one of the online crowd calendars to see just how big the predicted crowd levels will be.
We like Siesta Key on the Gulf coast (beautiful beach) but Clearwater would be more popular if you are looking for a more active area with things to do.
Oooh darn forgot about Easter - thanks for reminder - I'll relook our timing!

Purchase Along I-75 for the journey. HUGELY helpful and at the very least a good distraction for the passenger-side traveller.

View attachment 635795
I 100% agree with getting this book. Worth every penny. We drive this route from the GTA. We actually drive from 0130 to 1800 and stop north of Atlanta. Then drive the rest of the day the next day.

We have driven the i75 route before and the I79, 77, 26, 95 “mountain route” through the Virginia’s. If there is no risk of snow, I’d pick the mountain route, it is so scenic. I find I75 boring and usually more traffic but there are more restaurants and hotels etc.
If you decide to drive the scenic route, cross in Buffalo, and drive through PA, Virginia and W Virginia trying to time it so you are driving through Virginia’s and NC during the day. We drove about 14 hrs the first day and only like 7 the next but we were coming from London Ontario. We stopped in Charlotte NC for the night, that is about 12.5 hrs from Toronto. If you don’t want to drive that long, Beckley, Virginia is about 9 hrs and I know it’s a popular “halfway” stop for people driving from the GTA. Savannah GA is a beautiful town to visit closer to FL if you want to make another stop.
If you decide to drive I75 then Lexington Kentucky is a good halfway stop to spend the night. Enjoy!

We have driven the i75 route before and the I79, 77, 26, 95 “mountain route” through the Virginia’s. If there is no risk of snow, I’d pick the mountain route, it is so scenic. I find I75 boring and usually more traffic but there are more restaurants and hotels etc.
If you decide to drive the scenic route, cross in Buffalo, and drive through PA, Virginia and W Virginia trying to time it so you are driving through Virginia’s and NC during the day. We drove about 14 hrs the first day and only like 7 the next but we were coming from London Ontario. We stopped in Charlotte NC for the night, that is about 12.5 hrs from Toronto. If you don’t want to drive that long, Beckley, Virginia is about 9 hrs and I know it’s a popular “halfway” stop for people driving from the GTA. Savannah GA is a beautiful town to visit closer to FL if you want to make another stop.
If you decide to drive I75 then Lexington Kentucky is a good halfway stop to spend the night. Enjoy!

I second this strongly. Have done both from Toronto, and if you take snow out of the equation (which you most likely not have to worry about in April) the QEW-90-79-US19-77-26-95 route (seems complicated, but it's not) is not only shorter by a couple hundred kms, it is far more interesting and scenic. Plus as mentioned 75 is often overrun with trucks for a good part of the route. And you avoid Atlanta traffic! Please note - always try to avoid Atlanta traffic.

I'm 40 minutes from the Peace Bridge, and I've always taken the i79 route mentioned above. I usually do an overnight in South Carolina on the way down, about 12 hours in. That leaves a 7 hour drive to get to Kissimmee. The route is generally smooth, but you can almost always count on a slowdown passing Charlotte. Driving home, I generally go straight through. Also, I agree, avoid any dates near Easter, it is one of their busiest times and prices are high.

We have only stayed at St Pete’s on the Golf and that was 10 years ago. The beach was nice and we enjoyed it. A bit of an older area. If you enjoy kayaking/canoeing Fort De Soto was beautiful with rentals available. I would suggest posting in one of the non Canadian boards for more knowledgeable local advice.

Always this route. I too find the 75 boring. And there are more lane changes making the 79/US19/77/26/95 way more peaceful.

Summersville, Beckley or Princeton WV stops.

Have also stopped north end of Charlotte. And in Pooler/Savannah.

Be aware that avoiding tolls by taking the US-19 from the 79 to 77 is a great choice. Going over the speed limit on that exact section is not. Laughing.

There is a section of WV that you need to be a bit more organized for accomodation and gas, only if you decide on not having a reservation. Nothing remotely crazy, just aware.

There is also an area in SC on the 95 that I always find somewhat dodgy for stopping (around the HHI exits, so let's go with between Ridgeland and Hardeeville), but love the rest. And of course all routes have these sections.

The route is so beautiful sometimes I daydream about it. The descent from WV & VA (in VA for very short time) to NC is breathtaking.

Last edited:
We have done the drive from Southern Ontario many times. We like to do the I-75 route on the way down, when anxious to "just get there" because it's shorter, easier and more straight-forward. We leave early morning and stop for the night somewhere near Knoxville or Chattanooga TN.

Then, we take the I-95 route for the drive home to enjoy the scenery. We always stop in Wytheville, Virginia for the night - great hotels and restaurants there. If you'd like to add a day to your drive home, stop and explore Biltmore Estate in Ashville, NC. Beautiful.

I second this strongly. Have done both from Toronto, and if you take snow out of the equation (which you most likely not have to worry about in April) the QEW-90-79-US19-77-26-95 route (seems complicated, but it's not) is not only shorter by a couple hundred kms, it is far more interesting and scenic. Plus as mentioned 75 is often overrun with trucks for a good part of the route. And you avoid Atlanta traffic! Please note - always try to avoid Atlanta traffic.
There is a bypass around Atlanta as well. We have travelled south many years and drive 1/2 of the them. We prefer driving straight as we have no issues yet and our kids are great travelers. They have done the 11 hours in a plane to greece, so driving in a car where they stretch their legs every 4-5hours is easy. Last time was the quickest trip turn around. March 2020,,,Arrived on the thurs night, told 1 hour after check in the parks last day is Sunday, Drove home Monday morning. Who says you cant have fun in 3 days. just laugh about it now.
We do both routes,,just depends on how we feel when we set out and the time of year.
Enjoy the drive, if over 2 or 3 days,,stop and see some of the sights there and back,,,,lots of good ones to see.

We have done the drive from Southern Ontario many times. We like to do the I-75 route on the way down, when anxious to "just get there" because it's shorter, easier and more straight-forward. We leave early morning and stop for the night somewhere near Knoxville or Chattanooga TN.

Then, we take the I-95 route for the drive home to enjoy the scenery. We always stop in Wytheville, Virginia for the night - great hotels and restaurants there. If you'd like to add a day to your drive home, stop and explore Biltmore Estate in Ashville, NC. Beautiful.
Not sure where you start from, but if it's Toronto (or anywhere around there) the 90-79-etc "scenic route" is actually shorter by more than 200kms.

From the Windsor area, yes of course 75 is the way to go.

Searched everywhere. When driving, is a negative test required to enter the U.S. from Ontario?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter