Driving from Seattle to Disneyland

:offtopic: I lived in Lynnwood for 9 years when I was a kid! We loved it there- we lived just off of Butternut road. I went to Oak Heights Elementary & Alderwood Middle. Good memories...:goodvibes

Small world:)
Both of my boys attend Meadowdale Elementary. My DH has grew up here, he attended Lake Stickney Elementary, forgot middle school, Maranier High

I grew up in Southern California:)

The Siskiyous can be down right nasty late Nov-Feb... of course some years are better than others... this year they had a ton of snow... and was it like 3 years ago?? Maybe 4, it was closed and my mom had to take a detour to 101 and go down the coast, talk about some extra hours. We're in Portland OR, and I wouldn't drive it except from March-October... and prefer flying anyway.

I just checked tripcheck dot com, and it looks great through there right now, but also says carry traction devices and that they are having snow flurries. No new snow on the pavement, but 41 inches of roadside snow.

We didn't try it in winter. However, we drove from Richmond BC to DL in september a few years back and it took about 20 hours of driving total. We spent the first night in Eugene and the second in Sacramento. On the way back, we spent a night in Redding and had planned to stay in Portland the second night but our hotel fell through (long story) and so we drove straight through. It made for a really long trip home. Our children were 6 months and 2yrs old. Would not consider doing it without a DVD player!

I will. We plan on being back on the 9th of March.

Cross your fingers that we have good weather!

Here's my update!

We drove down February 26 from Portland. We left at 4:00 pm and arrived in Williams, CA by 12:30am. We didn't have a lick of trouble. The Siskyious were dry as a bone. We actually went from here to Desert Hot Springs, East of DL. But on the way home, we went directly from DL home to Portland. It was an 18 hour trip with no major stops. Gas and quickie food mainly. Again, no problems at all with the Siskiyous.

However, I know that the forcast for this weekend is snow above 2500-3000 feet, so there will probably be new snow on the mountains.

Hope that helps!

we did it last year with a 15 month old, 6 and 13 year olds and it wasn't too bad...but we left on a Wed afternoon and stoped in POrtland overnight {in laws} and then got on the road around {Thurs}10-11 am....then we drove until about 11 pm...then got up and left{Fri} around 8-9 am and got to the hotel around 3 pm...so it took us pretty much 2 days...we are doing it again this year in July but are stopping for 2 days to camp in Yosemite on the way down...{leave on a Tuesday night...stay in Portland again... and get to Yosemite by Thurs} leave on Sat and head to Legoland for a day and then to DLH on Sunday-Friday and back to Seattle Friday morning~ this time only going with the 2 older kids {15 and 7}...

How long did it take you ? How many nights do you spend ?

We are going in Sept and again in Jan and we plan to drive both times. Wondering how long it will take us.

We were told it was a 24 hr drive from Vancouver BC where we will be leaving from. So we thought we could spend 1 night on the way and drive 12 hrs each day.

Go to mapquest.com and type in your adress then type in DL address. It will give you directions as well as an estimated aount of time it will take. (I would imagine it would be cheaper to fly.):surfweb:

we drive every trip from kelso Wa not bad at all usually leave here around 5ish in the morning then stop in santa nella for the night thats about a 12 hour trip from us then a quick 5 or so hours on to DL and we leave santa nella around 6 or 7 in morning, we have been just about every season and spring tends to be our favorite, get to leave the rain behind for a few days lol it really isnt that bad of a trip except for the occasional "Are we there yet"?:)

How many people have done it in Dec, Jan or Feb ? I saw the one post where someone went in Dec and has a bit of snow.

I'm not someone that freaks about driving in snow (I lived in it for years so I'm quite used to driving in it!)

This year we didn't seem to get much snow at all. Does the passes get alot every year or is it different each year.

We have done the drive from SW Washington (about 45 minutes north of PDX) in April and in December. Oddly, we ran into harsh weather on the Grapevine in April, but just some fog and rain in December.

I lived in Maine, Catrinabeach, so I also am not easily frightened about driving in snow. However, with this trip, you have to be concerned about a couple of things. Number one, not everyone who lives along the coast and may be making the drive with you has that experience. That can slow traffic down. Also, the greatest concern I personally have, is that they have and will again close the Grapevine if it is bad, which can really cause a hitch in your travel plans. Also, it is not unheard of the I-5 near Medford/Ashland OR to also be down to a crawl or shut down during the winter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter