Driving from Phoenix to Grand Canyon, where to stop for lunch?

lvdis

love disney
We are flying into the Phoenix Airport arriving around 11:30AM on a Wednesday, renting a car and driving to the Grand Canyon South Rim. I need suggestions for where to stop for a quick lunch. Either near Phoenix or somewhere along the way. Thanks!

We are flying into the Phoenix Airport arriving around 11:30AM, renting a car and driving to the Grand Canyon South Rim. I need suggestions for where to stop for a quick lunch. Either near Phoenix or somewhere along the way. Thanks!

I would stop in Sedona. A tad out of the way, but the red rocks are worth the trip. There's a restaurant with outdoor seating (assuming the weather cooperates, or you can eat inside) called Shugrue's, and it's awesome. http://shugrueshillside.com/

The OP is landing around lunchtime, not sure where from, but I'm guessing they will be hungry. Sedona, while a great place to stop, and I do recommend it, is an hour and a half away and may be too long to wait for lunch. You will be heading up on major freeways. Up Interstate 17 there are tons of fast food restaurants to stop at before you get out of the valley.

Yes, I think you are right, we probably will be quite hungry by then! I just realized that even though we arrive around 11:30am, it will actually be 1:30pm our time.

If you like fajitas, there is a place called Fajitas on I-17 that is yummy. Exit at Dunlap, stay on the frontage road and it will be on your right about 1/2 mile up.

If you want really, really good Mexican food close to the airport try Ranch Market at 16th Street and Roosevelt. It is a grocery store in front, but on the west side of the building there is a table service restaurant that is awesome and it is very close to the airport and rental car places. If you land hungry, it is really good.

If you do not want Mexican food - my other all time favorite place was on Man vs. Food - Chompies. From the airport get to Highway 51 and go north to Cactus - turn right and it will be by the Paradise Valley Mall. From there you can get back on Highway 51, continue north to the 101 and hook up with I-17 to continue north to Grand Canyon.

Happy valley exit off the I-17 there is mellow mushroom pizza and joeys of Chicago.

Not sure where the OP is from, but I would highly recommend a stop and In-N-Out burger, if you have not had it before. Several locations thruoughout the Valley of the Sun, on the way north I believe there is a location right off I-17 and Happy Valley Rd...

OP, maybe some idea of what you're looking for will help with ideas. Are you looking for fast food, casual sit down, nice restaurant? What type of food?

Between the airport and the far northern outskirts of metro Phoenix there are restaurants of all types. Theres also some good choices inside the airport depending on which airline you're on (different terminals for different airlines).

Happy valley exit off the I-17 there is mellow mushroom pizza and joeys of Chicago.

I agree. Easier to exit and much better area.
You can also find PF Changs and many chain sit down service. ( Olive Garden , ect)

I'm thinking we will probably want something fast so we can get going quicker. I know we will be anxious to get to the Grand Canyon area!

We would like to eat at an In-N-Out Burger at least once while we are out west since we don't have them back home, so that might be a good idea.

After the Grand Canyon we will be in Vegas, Anaheim, San Diego and Santa Barbara before flying back home.

Thanks!

If you feel you need a little bit longer break for lunch:wave2:, you MUST stop and have Macayo's - my absolute favorite Mexican restaurant of all time! SO miss it. Baja Sauce - Oh, How I Love Thee!

Pizza? Barro's on Thunderbird was my fave.

Burgers? Lenny's - hands down! Fresh cut fries with fry sauce! 19th and Greenway was our location

Other than that - you will find a bajillion familiar choices along the freeway route.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter