Driving from Las Vegas to Disneyland

SleepyatDVC

DIS Veteran
We plan to drive from Las Vegas to Disneyland on a Wednesday in July. What time should we plan our departure from LV and arrival into Anaheim to minimize the worst of the traffic?

We do plan to make a few pit stops and make the drive leisurely to see as much as possible. Any suggestions for what to see?

Thanks!

Yep as stated above there's not much to see.
Calico mine is kinda neat if you have kids and it's not too hot. It's only a few minutes off the interstate.

Make sure you fill up before you leave Vegas, gas is much more expensive along the way.

There an outlet mall at Stateline and another just west of Barstow. Barstow is also a place to stop for gas. There are trucks stops by the outlet mall just west of town. I always stop here as it's a good place to stretch and take a break. There's an IN and Out burger too. Go to the south side of freeway at the overpass. When you're ready to leave stay on the two lane road heading west and it contacts to I15 just down the road. It gets you away from the traffic at the overpass.

Yep as stated above there's not much to see.
Calico mine is kinda neat if you have kids and it's not too hot. It's only a few minutes off the interstate.

Make sure you fill up before you leave Vegas, gas is much more expensive along the way.

There an outlet mall at Stateline and another just west of Barstow. Barstow is also a place to stop for gas. There are trucks stops by the outlet mall just west of town. I always stop here as it's a good place to stretch and take a break. There's an IN and Out burger too. Go to the south side of freeway at the overpass. When you're ready to leave stay on the two lane road heading west and it contacts to I15 just down the road. It gets you away from the traffic at the overpass.

Are you thinking of Primm? Stateline, NV is in the Lake Tahoe area. I guess Primm used to be known as "State Line" (never officially), but that got confusing.

http://lasvegassun.com/news/1996/oct/11/new-state-line-name-is-primm----and-proper/

Vegas in summer can get really hot really early. Highest recorded temp was in July FYI. I've seen it at 90 by 9am. So the earlier you leave the better. Especially cause you will be driving through The Mohave desert where it gets even hotter! You do not want to get stuck in the desert during heat. PACK WATER! It's a four hour drive to Disney and you won't see much traffic that early. Little known fact zzyyzzx road has a nature preserve at the end that's kind of fun to walk around. Calico is okay but only if you get there early. As old time Vegas people call stateline, the town of Primm which is the state line has a few outlets but not much to be impressed with any more. Barstow if you get off on Lenwood Ave has the in n out and more outlets. Stay going south on that road and it reconnects to freeway. Victorville and Hesperia both have in n outs now too and cheaper gas if you have to stop. If you really want to be scenic try taking Route 66 from bottom of Cajon pass to closer to beach.

Take a picture by the giant thermometer in Baker.

Baker is not really worth stopping at for this thermometer, imo.

I second what has already been said- there isn't much to see (if you're not used to the desert, then you're in for a surprise at how very much of nothing there is), the gas is high in places between LV and SoCal, so fill up before you head off (or fill up in Barstow, at least).

We plan to drive from Las Vegas to Disneyland on a Wednesday in July. What time should we plan our departure from LV and arrival into Anaheim to minimize the worst of the traffic?

We do plan to make a few pit stops and make the drive leisurely to see as much as possible. Any suggestions for what to see?

Thanks!

Echoing what others said, it's not a bad drive, not much to see. Just drive.

Las Vegas is a popular weekend destination for Southern California folks. There is a lot of traffic going from LA to Vegas on Friday afternoon/evening and coming back on Sunday evening, so you probably want to avoid those times, or go in reverse (Vegas to LA on Friday and LA to Vegas on Sunday).

If you happen to be leaving the Wednesday of Comic Con you can expect a lot of traffic. You might want to check for any major events in Vegas the days before, that can add traffic. During the week it's usually not a lot of cars that will cause the traffic, it's an accident or stalled car that will do it. I'll add my vote to leave early and don't stop to avoid the heat.

If you happen to be leaving the Wednesday of Comic Con you can expect a lot of traffic. You might want to check for any major events in Vegas the days before, that can add traffic. During the week it's usually not a lot of cars that will cause the traffic, it's an accident or stalled car that will do it. I'll add my vote to leave early and don't stop to avoid the heat.

Vegas doesn't have a comic con. Our biggest convention is in January and its CES. July is mostly weekend and holiday traffic.

Vegas doesn't have a comic con. Our biggest convention is in January and its CES. July is mostly weekend and holiday traffic.
But a lot of people from Vegas drive to San Diego Comic Con, and I-15 is a major route into San Diego.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter