Driving from Las Vegas to Anaheim - Are we nuts?

mickeysgal

<font color=blue>Orange you glad I like Knock Knoc
We're flying into Vegas but feel that a week is too long (with kids - teens). We are planning to drive to DL for half the week and return to Vegas to meet family for the last half of the week. Is the drive that bad? Mapquest puts it at about 4 hours. Is this realistic?

It's not too bad--4-5 hours under normal conditions. Just don't try making the drive to Anaheim on a Sunday afternoon/evening becuase that's when everyone else is making it, too. Also, going back--no Friday afternoon/evenings as that's again when everyone else is there. Also, lately there's been construction on one of the two freeways coming out of the Cajon Pass on the weekends.

It's not too bad--4-5 hours under normal conditions. Just don't try making the drive to Anaheim on a Sunday afternoon/evening becuase that's when everyone else is making it, too. Also, going back--no Friday afternoon/evenings as that's again when everyone else is there. Also, lately there's been construction on one of the two freeways coming out of the Cajon Pass on the weekends.

Thanks Iceskatejen! :)

Actually we were planning on traveling from Vegas to Anaheim on a Sunday morning. We'll have to make sure we get an early start to avoid the traffic. We're planning on returning to Vegas on a Wed.

It's a nice drive, not too bad and until you get near LA the traffic is fairly minimal (if you avoid the busy days). Be sure to load up on snacks before you get too far out of either city, as the area in between the two is fairly remote and there aren't too many dining options. Also, some of the small cities in the middle seemed to be charging a premium for gas when I took this route next year, so I would gas up before leaving if you can.

DLR will be a really nice supplement to time in Vegas. While Vegas is more family-oriented than in the past, a week there may be a bit long with kids and some time in Anaheim sounds like the perfect solution.

We're flying into Vegas but feel that a week is too long (with kids - teens). We are planning to drive to DL for half the week and return to Vegas to meet family for the last half of the week. Is the drive that bad? Mapquest puts it at about 4 hours. Is this realistic?

We used to drive from Burbank CA to Vegas all the time. Heck, we've even done it just for the night on more than one occasion. lol

So obviously I don't think it's a bad drive.

4 hours is about right. If the weather is bad or there is traffic it will of course take longer. (We used to leave Burbank around 5:30 a.m. and we've done it in about 3 1/2 hours before.)

Have fun in DL!! :)

I would plan on 5 hours because most likely you will have to stop at least once, plus the traffic can get bad near the 215 interchange through the San Bernadino National Forest at ANY time of day.

We used to drive from Burbank CA to Vegas all the time. Heck, we've even done it just for the night on more than one occasion. lol

So obviously I don't think it's a bad drive. ...

Have fun in DL!! :)

I like how you think!

Thanks!! We're looking forward to the entire trip.:banana: :woohoo:

The last two times that I went to So.Cal, we flew in and out of vegas. I like to stop and get InNOut, (in Bakersfield? or is it Barstow?) or ChickFilA in Corona, nummy!
We weren't even combining the trip with anything else, we simply could save over $400 by flying in and out of vegas for our last trip. Money well spent at DLR, as far as I was concerned.
We were always going opposite traffic, but I have to say, I would do whatever I could possibly think of to not be traveling that stretch on a Sunday going West! My first trip, we were on the road heading back to Vegas on Sunday, and saw a back up as early as 11am when we were just over the mountains outside riverside! No kidding! That meant that people had to be up and out of Vegas around 7 ish at the latest? The bottle neck (as in barely inching along parking lot) continued all the way into Vegas. It never let up.
The last time I went, we were once again heading back on a Sunday. This time it was later at night. We were about mid-way at 9pm. There wasn't a portion of the trip that we didn't see a long line of cars. When we reached Vegas at about 11pm, it was still backed up all the way.
The drive toward Vegas on Friday evening is reputed to be almost as bad. It's slightly better, as some people choose to go out on Thursday night, during the day on Friday (for long weekends) or on Sat. early morning.
If I could make a recommendation, if it would work for you, spend the earlier part of the week with your family/friends, then come back to Vegas to head out. OR, find something to do in Vegas on Sunday and then head out Vegas on Monday at some point.
Honestly, you're short 4-4.5 hour venture could easily turn into a 10 hour nightmare, and at the beginning of your trip, too!

The last two times that I went to So.Cal, we flew in and out of vegas. I like to stop and get InNOut, (in Bakersfield? or is it Barstow?) or ChickFilA in Corona, nummy!
We weren't even combining the trip with anything else, we simply could save over $400 by flying in and out of vegas for our last trip. Money well spent at DLR, as far as I was concerned.
We were always going opposite traffic, but I have to say, I would do whatever I could possibly think of to not be traveling that stretch on a Sunday going West! My first trip, we were on the road heading back to Vegas on Sunday, and saw a back up as early as 11am when we were just over the mountains outside riverside! No kidding! That meant that people had to be up and out of Vegas around 7 ish at the latest? The bottle neck (as in barely inching along parking lot) continued all the way into Vegas. It never let up.
The last time I went, we were once again heading back on a Sunday. This time it was later at night. We were about mid-way at 9pm. There wasn't a portion of the trip that we didn't see a long line of cars. When we reached Vegas at about 11pm, it was still backed up all the way.
The drive toward Vegas on Friday evening is reputed to be almost as bad. It's slightly better, as some people choose to go out on Thursday night, during the day on Friday (for long weekends) or on Sat. early morning.
If I could make a recommendation, if it would work for you, spend the earlier part of the week with your family/friends, then come back to Vegas to head out. OR, find something to do in Vegas on Sunday and then head out Vegas on Monday at some point.
Honestly, you're short 4-4.5 hour venture could easily turn into a 10 hour nightmare, and at the beginning of your trip, too!

Thank you so much for your advice! We were going to head out of Vegas early Sunday, but now you have me thinking... We land at 9:30pm. I suppose we could just get going and drive that night. My kids are older and can tough it out. The downside is that we'd get into Anaheim in the wee hours of the morning, but on the upside, we'd have more time at Disneyland!

Is there anyplace in between we could stop for the night? Or is it all desert?

Any advice?

We are flying out of Vegas and were planning to drive there on the Thursday of our week's holiday (Mar 15th). Is there a "best" time of the day to plan on leaving Anaheim, so as to minimize traffic? Thanks for the tips -- I'm taking lots of notes!!!

Thank you so much for your advice! We were going to head out of Vegas early Sunday, but now you have me thinking... We land at 9:30pm. I suppose we could just get going and drive that night. My kids are older and can tough it out. The downside is that we'd get into Anaheim in the wee hours of the morning, but on the upside, we'd have more time at Disneyland!

Is there anyplace in between we could stop for the night? Or is it all desert?

Any advice?

One thing we've done is drive out to the border (CA/NV, that is). There's two towns there, Primm and Jean. They both have simple, but nice, hotels. There's an outlet mall in Primm. Their website is www.primmvalleyresorts.com. Gets you out of Vegas, but not very far. You'd still have the same issues with the traffic.
The other cities along the way are Barstow, Victorville or Riverside. There's a big outlet mall in Barstow. I've found a number of hotels, too, though I can't vouch for them, never stayed there, only driven through. I do like the outlet mall, though!
In your situation, if it were me, I'd just drive into Anaheim on Sat. night and get to the room a day early, if possible. You can sleep in on sunday and start your Disney time then, or putz around the area, maybe have a character meal at one of the resorts, go to DtD, go offsite to the Character Warehouse. But, that's me, I actually prefer night driving.
Best of luck! Have fun!

We are flying out of Vegas and were planning to drive there on the Thursday of our week's holiday (Mar 15th). Is there a "best" time of the day to plan on leaving Anaheim, so as to minimize traffic? Thanks for the tips -- I'm taking lots of notes!!!

Thursday you shouldn't have much trouble once you get out of the city. Early morning and late afternoon are prime rush hour time. And, although where you're going will reduce things somewhat, it won't eliminate them.
"Best" times, from a traffic perspective, would be mid-day, say 10-2, or after 6pm. I used to like leaving in the early afternoon, and then getting into Vegas just in time for a nice dinner.

We flew into Vegas in August, also arriving in the evening, immediately departed for Kingsmen, Az - did a very lLARGE circle by way of Grand Canyon, Pheonix, Tucson, San Deigo, Los Angelos, Disneyland and then back
to vegas for a few days.

Its a long boring drive and t is only a two lane highway. I would really consider the leave vegas Saturday nite, even if you only drive an 1 and 1/2 out to find a hotel it would do one of three things
1. Saturday nite in Vegas may be a little costly
2. You would be cutting your drive on Sunday by 1 to 2 hours
3. If you leave yur Hotel Sunday morning by 7am, you'd still be an 1 & 1/2 hours ahead of the Vegas traffice, hopefully avoiding it and get to DL well before noon being able to check in and relax by the pool for a few hours to recoup some energy, spend a few hours at downtown disney then come home for an early night before hitting the parks bright and early the next morning.

Jump on mapquest and get the names of cities/towns between Vegas & DL, thats how i found our hotel. I looked for hotel chains that i was familiar with.

I know i'm most likely in the minority here but i found very LITTLE "family friendly" in Vegas. (I also have teens). Walk the strip and try to catch all the free shows(sirens-little racey, Atlantis, Fountians). We saw Penn & Teller while we were there and the show was great and suitable for kids also (they are at the Rio). If you dont have a hotel yet, the Rio was very nice and the rooms would sleep five easily (two queens & very large comfy sofa), New York, New York looked pretty family orientated, or as much as vegas can be.

The Hoover Dam is not far, maybe 30 minutes, and worth taking the tour into the dam which is pretty cheap, historical and pretty neat.

have a great time.

In your situation, if it were me, I'd just drive into Anaheim on Sat. night and get to the room a day early, if possible. You can sleep in on sunday and start your Disney time then, or putz around the area, maybe have a character meal at one of the resorts, go to DtD, go offsite to the Character Warehouse. But, that's me, I actually prefer night driving.
Best of luck! Have fun!

This is what I'm not leaning toward. I'm so grateful to those that have responded to this thread to forewarn me about the traffic. You don't have to tell me twice to move up my nights at Disneyland. :rotfl:

Its a long boring drive and t is only a two lane highway. I would really consider the leave vegas Saturday nite, even if you only drive an 1 and 1/2 out to find a hotel it would do one of three things
1. Saturday nite in Vegas may be a little costly
2. You would be cutting your drive on Sunday by 1 to 2 hours
3. If you leave yur Hotel Sunday morning by 7am, you'd still be an 1 & 1/2 hours ahead of the Vegas traffice, hopefully avoiding it and get to DL well before noon being able to check in and relax by the pool for a few hours to recoup some energy, spend a few hours at downtown disney then come home for an early night before hitting the parks bright and early the next morning.

Jump on mapquest and get the names of cities/towns between Vegas & DL, thats how i found our hotel. I looked for hotel chains that i was familiar with.

I know i'm most likely in the minority here but i found very LITTLE "family friendly" in Vegas. (I also have teens). Walk the strip and try to catch all the free shows(sirens-little racey, Atlantis, Fountians). We saw Penn & Teller while we were there and the show was great and suitable for kids also (they are at the Rio). If you dont have a hotel yet, the Rio was very nice and the rooms would sleep five easily (two queens & very large comfy sofa), New York, New York looked pretty family orientated, or as much as vegas can be.

The Hoover Dam is not far, maybe 30 minutes, and worth taking the tour into the dam which is pretty cheap, historical and pretty neat.

have a great time.

Thank you for your tips. They are greatly appreciated.

I'm trying to minimize the time we're in Vegas. We're going as part of a family reunion of sorts. I thought I'll just keep everyone so busy that we can avoid as much sleaze as possible. We're doing two shows and the third night is a family dinner. Hoover Dam is certainly a possibility. We thought of a day trip to the Grand Canyon, but I'm guessing that we'll be pretty sick of driving by then.

If you leave early and allow 4-5 hours, you will be fine.

Woody

I'm loving the advice on this board -- thanks so much to everyone who takes the time to respond! Funny my gut feeling was to head out around 2pm-ish...glad to see I wasn't far off the mark!

A very informative thread!!! We are going to be travelling FROM Vegas TO DL California on a Friday......Will we hit the traffic going this way ????????

A very informative thread!!! We are going to be travelling FROM Vegas TO DL California on a Friday......Will we hit the traffic going this way ????????

Shouldn't be bad at all. You'll hit some when you get into the LA area, expecially if you arrive anytime between 3-6pm, but shouldn't hit much of anything along the way.

Well, based on the advice of this thread, we changed our reservations at Disney. We're going to drive immediately upon landing in Vegas. We'd rather drive at night then be out the door by 7am. We just aren't morning folks. This will prevent the unpack/pack for just one night. This way, we can sleep in and still have a decent day at Disneyland. This has got to be better than a frazzled day on the road and then hitting the parks when we arrive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter