Driving from Grand Canyon to DL

Aust

DIS Veteran
We're looking at a Las vegas/Grand Canyon/Disneyland trip starting late September next year. We plan on flying Sydney/LAX/Las Vegas, staying a couple of days in LV, then driving to the Grand Canyon for a day or so.

We're then thinking of driving from the Grand Canyon to Disneyland, where will be staying for the bulk of our trip. I've read it's about an 8 hour trip - what's other's opinions of the drive? Is it manageable in one day with 3 kids (who will be aged 11, 8 and almost 4) ? And is Route 66 anywhere nearby?? (my husband would love to drive on it!) Also are there any sights worth seeing along the way?

Thanks

Have you seen "Cars" route 66 is mostly a freeway. There are some places where they split I40 and Route 66, but it will add a lot of time.

8 hours drive, when you include stops, from the GC to DL sounds about right. Avoid doing this on a Sunday when traffic returning from Vegas is bad. Likewise avoid driving to Vegas on Friday afternoon.

You might consider driving to Vegas, I imagine it's cheaper to rent(hire) a car than for that many people to fly. Also it may be cheaper to pick up and return your rental at the same location. Time wise it's about 4 hours when traffic is good from LAX to LV. With gathering bags from customs and rechecking them it, then getting them again in Vegas it may be comparable to driving. Parking in Vegas is free, but you won't need your car while in vegas. It's something to consider.

Since driving from LV to GC, and then GC to DL covers a few hours of the same strech you may not want to see all of this twice. Historic Route 66 loops to the north through there, but I don't know of anything great to see along that stretch.

We did a Grand Canyon to DL drive this past August, but we started from Flagstaff, AZ. We drove on Route 66 on and off, stopping at the more historic areas. I think the drive in total took us about 8 hours with stops.

Make sure to bring plenty of water! :)

DW & I drove along historic 66 for a trip through the Southwest about 8 years ago. I thought it was great! Ski is right that there are large sections gone, where you'll have to just drive the interstate. But there are still large sections of old historic 66 left, too. I say go for it! Where else can you get pictures like these?

DSCN1880sm.jpg

DSCN1881sm.jpg

I just showed the photos to my husband and he's very keen! The problem with driving from LA to Las Vegas is that we'd be doing it straight off a 14 hour flight which is not ideal. We want to start the trip in LV and end in DL so it makes more sense to fly straight away from LAX to LV and put up with the extra rental car cost.

Hey Aust. :wave2: Fancy bumping into you here!

We've driven route 66 from Flagstaff to Barstow. (And of course that last little bit into Santa Monica). I loved the drive and found it really nice around Kingman and Oatman. It really is a relic of the past and there is a stretch from Seligman to Needles where it feels like the old road.

Bring PLENTY of water and a full tank of gas....and (at times) you might need to find a cactus for 'outhouse' stops. (Don't count on trees!) You definitely need to stop when you can.

Definitely well worth the drive. It will add quite a bit of time to your drive.

I have pictures...but they are all from film days and I haven't converted them to digital yet.

p.s. The shopping outletS at Barstow were insane when we last were there! I thought they were better priced than Vegas. Might be worth checking them out and deciding if you want to stay overnight there rather than rushing all the way to LA.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter