Driving 6000 Miles for the Magic: A Miracle Trip

Christamae - you are inspiring - Thank you for sharing.

I just found this thread and read it all in one sitting. I gotta go to sleep now!!

Christamae...still here. And i enjoy reading anything written by you. You are so witty. :hug:

Christamae,
WOW!! LOVE, love, love your writing. You are such a positive and great person dealing with your difficulties. You are an inspiration to us all. :goodvibes Soooooo, sad and disappointing to hear about the RUDE people in Epcot at the bathroom.

Thanks for cheering up my night, I really needed it!!! :yay:

I'm still here, Christamae, a little behind, but still here. I just hate the end of trips, and I've never had as long a drive home as you have. Driving to Disney is the longest driving trip we've taken, and it took about 11 1/2 hours with stops to eat and all. Sometimes it's okay to just sleep, it's a good escape; I read in a magazine this month (Good Housekeeping maybe:confused3 ) about stress relievers and it said it's okay to pull a Scarlett O'Hara if it's something you truly have no control over, it does no good to keep worrying or fretting. Surprising, but I'll give it a whirl, won't you? :) Gone with the Wind is my favorite movie, so I'm okay with being a little "Scarlett-ish"!

I still say another God moment, that y'all got a room at all in Atlanta that night...:cloud9: .

Love your trip report, Christamae, but I think the hotel clerk was lying to you. The World Series isn't played until October, and the Atlanta team (the Braves) didn't make the World Series last year.

Little League or AAU--we were in Memphis one year when AAU tournament was, and the hotel scene was not pretty. We ended up in the crummiest Red Roof Inn ever, for one night until our reservation at the Peabody.

Thank you for all your posts.

Tanya90210: Thanks...as I said-we never thought sports would come into the picture...oops.

Backstage Gal: Thank you-I still reflect on that amazing trip. Dad had to work in all kinds of conditions.

Goofyluver: Sorry to disappoint but we didn't watch any games. I actually find baseball a little boring :confused3 In Oklahoma we went to a couple Drillers games but more often then not I brought a book and read.

50 years Too!: Thanks for those kind words. :love: I had to work at suppressing the commando "go, go go" attitude. Things don't always follow our schedule ;)

eyeheartgoofy: It was fortunate to find a room and thank you.

KathyRN137: Yes, the magic-the reason that so many make the journey to the self-contained world of Disney...

Echo queen: Thanks-this next installment has less memories and more craziness.

riopooh: Thank you :love: and welcome

burly: Thanks! I try to make things interesting... popcorn::

mt mommy: Thank you! It's good to hear that my writing helps.

crgfsu1: Thanks...I instituted a lot of the writing tips I learned in AP English ;)

whogirl's mom: Thanks for hanging with me....I am a bit of a stress queen...I agree that we had many God moments which is why I call it a miracle trip.

shevys: Welcome and thank you.

Without further ado, the drama

Sunday July 30, 2006

We had decided, based on the trip up that we needed a rest day in the middle of the drive. The ideal spot to stop was Tulsa, Oklahoma so we could visit with friends and family. But that would significantly shorten the number of miles driven on day 3 back. So we had to drive longer today.:drive:

Thus the theme-the push for Little Rock, Arkansas.

We had to make two nasty exchanges in big cities (the one where Mom was attacked by foam). Mom absolutely refused to drive through these spots this time around.

Sometime between Atlanta and Tennessee a torrential downpour ensued. The kind where it sounds like horses are galloping on the roof. Mom basically freaked out. She desperately wanted Dad to drive but we were in construction and there was no where to pull over. One of the construction detours directs onto this dirt road.

We are in a fully loaded RV in a torrential downpour and they want us to drive on packed dirt?! :scared1: Thankfully, the dirt detour was short and Mom could breathe again. As soon as conceivable, Mom made Dad drive for a while.

I began thinking about Oklahoma. As a state entity, I really dislike Oklahoma for its public policy, accessibility, and healthcare. For the average Joe, these aren’t an issue. But for a person and family with complex needs-it is a big deal. Some of my biggest frustrations came from Sapulpa High School. Without even looking at my records of gifted and talented class and excellent grades, they assumed because of my wheelchair, that I needed a self-contained special education classroom and tried to put me there.:sad2: Even after I established my ability, they tried to refuse my right to take Honors classes. :guilty: There was a whole meeting about it. Boy were they surprised when my current Honors English teacher advocated that I definitely should take Honors classes…There were many other issues like the once a day planned bathroom break :headache: but this report isn’t about that. My reason for going to school was Jazz choir and especially Competitive Speech. How I loved competing—and winning. I was extremely close to my speech coach, D:hug: . And some of my best friends were in speech-Heather and Katrina:grouphug: . I hadn’t really made any friends in Ceres,yet…I missed friendship and them. It would be awesome to see them. I also did a fair amount of napping. My Disney adrenaline was gone and I had to recoup.

During one of these naps, I was abruptly awakened by the RV violently swerving and Mom screaming. I saw a big rig barrel by and heard grinding and a crunch. :eek: We were on this narrow bridge and a semi decided to pass on the bridge! Dad pulled all the way over, grinding against the curb. We pulled over to inspect the damage. Gratefully, only the knock away mirror had been hit.

But that was very, very close.

Mom was relieved that Dad had been driving. Her reflexes aren’t very fast and she wasn’t sure how she would’ve reacted. Everyone was a bit rattled.

We made it to Little Rock without further drama-the first step to being able to stop in Oklahoma. After starting the long set up at Quality Inn, we called my cousin, Shayna, who was at our house. She checked e-mails and gave us contact info for friends in Oklahoma.

Utterly exhausted and frazzled from too many driving adventures, we fell into bed.:faint:

Next update, Saturday, September 1- Oooooook-lahoma
"Ooooooook-lahoma!"- Page 34, Post #509

Christamae
Once again I gotta say GREAT job!:thumbsup2
Oh my heart started pounding for your mom w/ the rainpour/construction and then when the rig passed I think mky heart went out of my chest for a min. ther. But just like any superhero book. SuperDad saved the day!!!!!!:goodvibes
Having a child with special needs and working in the school system with both reg and special ed I've seen a lot of things. And sometimes I just want to scream, but I know it is challenging to find that right balace. I'm blessed to be in a great school district that really does try with ALL their kids. But still I'm a nervous wreck. DS5 starts kinder Mon and although he's been in school actually the same school for the past 2 years, He is leaving the PPCD program and going into reg. K with only therapy pull outs. Academic wise he is ready, but there are still some issues and I know it takes a special teacher to teach 22 kids including one that has some on on one needs. We met his teacher Thurs and it was the only one I Definalty did NOT want him to have. But I've prayed and prayed this summer about it and God does know what he's doing. She seems much better this year and after talking to her, she has 2 special needs kids herself, one with physical challenges and an excellent mental capability so she understands a lot of how I feel and how assumptions are made by looking at him. She also has taught high school special ed for a # of years and only went to reg. Kinder last year when her husband transferred districts and it was the only thing open. She loved it and DS5 took right to her. He even gave her a hug!!!!!!! This does NOT happen unless he knows you! He ask me constantly when he is going back to school. A change from just a few days ago when he would cry and say I don't want to go back to school. So I'm going to keep everything crossed and stay praying and hope for the best!!
Can't wait for the rest!!!
Blessings to you and your family:grouphug:

I hate when Semi's do stuff like that.... Glad to hear there wasn't any damage other than the mirror....

Another fabulous chapter :)

Emphasizing the fact that there are disabled people in wheelchairs who can’t get out any other way. I guess they don’t get it because their solution is to go to the nearest rental area and switch RVs…
Funny how people sometimes don't get it.
First Danielle and Mom had to use the restroom. I looked around a different store and found…the Wishes CD!

Must.

Have.

Mom eventually acquiesced. Yay! Just listening to it makes me teary-eyed.
I love all my Disney Park CDs. Just hearing them brings you back to that time and place.:goodvibes
It was probably a good thing that we had to be back at a definitive time for the scooter because we needed the time to pack…
it probably was good so you didn't end up cutting it too short for packing.
I am not sure if I'm allowed to post websites (can I?) so PM me and I'll give it to you :)
I'd like it too.
I know some people have attached their Caring Bridge website to their signature, but I also know some had problems with people going on their page and 'spamming' them. So, I think it's probably better for you to PM that address to people who ask for it.
"...they seemed disinterested in following the rules."

Christamae,

That is probably the most tactful and diplomatic description of the BTGs that I have ever read!! :rotfl: You are the best!!

I've said it before about your Dad: That man deserves a big "S" on his shirt, because he is Superman!!!

Collecting and trading pins is so addictive, isn't it? I'm glad you started; you seem to really get a lot of enjoyment from it! :goodvibes

Looking forward, as always, to the next weekend so I can read your next post!

Stay well,

Kathy
::yes::
agree to all.
eternaldisneyfan said:
During one of these naps, I was abruptly awakened by the RV violently swerving and Mom screaming. I saw a big rig barrel by and heard grinding and a crunch. We were on this narrow bridge and a semi decided to pass on the bridge! Dad pulled all the way over, grinding against the curb. We pulled over to inspect the damage. Gratefully, only the knock away mirror had been hit.

But that was very, very close.
:scared1: yikes!!!!
That was very close.

Chriamae, I hear you on the truck thing! I cant't tell you how many times trucks and cars tried to pass me oin the a merge lane so we are fifghting for the same spot (and I am NOT a slow driver!)

Bummer about the school thing. Great update as usual:thumbsup2

Great installment!! I would have been so scared with the truck incident!!:scared1:

Bill had trouble with one school as well. He proved them wrong just like you did!!

Can't wait for your next post!!popcorn::

I hate driving in torrential downpours, especially on the interstate! Some of our interstates curve through the mountains here and there's nothing like big semis right beside you on a switchback curve!:scared1: I swear I'll take snow any day to driving in a rainstorm! Glad you all made it through!

Hello, Christamae, I am pleased to make your acquaintance. Hmmmm...you are in the position Oprah is in when her fans approach. She knows nothing about them, while they, having shared some of her life story, know lots more about her! Lol...having read and absorbed your trip report for the past week I feel as though we are friends already...and yet, until this minute, you didn't even know I existed!

Anyway, I do and we share a lot of similar thought processes. I am looking forward to future installments. One thing...I don't think it's against any Dis policy to post a link to your web page. I'm sure over the years I've seen many other Disers do this, some even had a link in their siggie. I could be wrong, though, so I was wondering if you could provide me with a link to your web page via a PM?

I hope your day today is going well, hi to your mom, dad and grandma...and of course, Danielle.

Jo

I really felt for your mom; she must have been terrified! :eek: My mother absolutely will not drive in rain, snow, or even the dark so I know how difficult it must have been for yours! It was just another miracle that Dad was driving when you had the close encounter with the truck... what a way to wake up from a nap!!

I'm glad you decided to take a rest day on the way home and I'm hoping you were able to meet up with family! :grouphug:

It's going to be another long week! Thanks for giving me something great to look forward to...

Kathy

Finally, I am caught up! Christamae, I have been reading all day. What a fabulous trip report. I laughed, cried, worried and felt like I was there with you. Except for all the rude people. I would have farted on them, just for you:hug:

This trip report should be required reading for every CM. You have such great, common sense observations about improving the Disney experience for everyone.

I think the biggest thing any non-complex needs family can do is remember while we are having are dream vacation, we are also the back drop to other peoples' dream trips. People that might have worked a whole lot harder than us to be present on Main Street. Your report is a true gift, and I thank you:flower3:

Thanks, Christamae. I have finally caught up on your trip report and enjoyed it so much. You are a wonderful and inspiring family. And wow, do you have a gift for writing. :worship: No WONDER the honors English teacher spoke up for you!! :thumbsup2 I wish I had your "guts and determination"! Can't wait to hear more. :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter