Drive vs DCL Transport

justme0729

DIS Veteran
We live 1 hr 45 min away from Port Canaveral without traffic. I’m considering if we want to just drive from our house to the port the morning of the cruise or if we want to drive 1 hour to WDW and stay for 1 night before the cruise and take DCL transport (2 adults and 2 kids 2 and under so only charged $39 each for 2 adults). The pros of this would be that we don’t have to drive that morning so lower stress and an earlier PAT I assume. The con would be the extra cost for transport (we could use DVC points for the night so not that worried about that cost), if we can leave our car at WDW while on the cruise, and packing/ unpacking so quickly with 2 young kids for the one night. Has anyone done this and pros/ cons you experienced?

Just drive to the port. Having to unpack and pack with kids is always rolling the dice! The parking terminal at port Canaveral is right by the terminal. People make such a big about PAT times. It’s really not a huge deal if you arrive an hour later.

The cost of transportation from WDW to PC has gone up to $45 per person each way (so $180 round trip) parking is cheaper and that's before you factor in your hotel stay... plus I wouldn't bank on being allowed to leave your car at WDW... They might allow it IF you book a post cruise stay at the same resort but it would depend heavily on the resort... Im guessing SSR & OKW likely won't care (if you have a post stay booked) but Beach Club, Bay Lake, Wilderness, Boardwalk, VGF, Wilderness, AKL, and Poly likely will. They are very strict on parking nowadays.

Just drive- leave early in case of traffic and have something for your kiddos to enjoy both on the ride and if you have to chill in the parking garage until you PAT if you don't hit any traffic.

An extra hour or so on the ship is nice but with 2 under 2 I would skip Cabanas and hit the sit-down lunch which should still be serving when you get there- or avoid both and eat at the pool deck and have the little ones dressed to enjoy the splash pad. It will likely be the least amount of stress.

Also consider that Disney transportation luggage pick up is at 7 am- meaning the kids would need to be up and ready and anything you aren't carrying on must be packed and ready to go by that time.

My wife and I are about 1 hour and 15 minutes from the port and thought about doing the same thing.
We are also DVC members so the cost of the room would not be a factor.
We look at the cost to drive(gas and tolls) and the cost to park. The cost of the shuttle if it really saves us any money. Then we think, we are on their schedule.
We also have to move luggage twice , pack for the night at the hotel then repeat for the most part for the trip home.

In the end we always it is easier to drive our self however we do not have any kids so this does make it easier.

That what works for us you have to think what is going to work for you and your family.

I would drive straight to port day of. With kids that young, Cabanas is a hot mess trying to juggle all the plates. What we ended up doing (since my son is still napping) with our PAT of 12:45, we brought lunch for him to eat on the drive/in the terminal. We went straight to tour the clubs/nursery once onboard. At 2:00 when rooms were ready, we went to our room and put him for a nap and ordered room service for our lunch. It was so gloriously calm having lunch on the balcony while he napped until muster.

I would drive straight to port day of. With kids that young, Cabanas is a hot mess trying to juggle all the plates. What we ended up doing (since my son is still napping) with our PAT of 12:45, we brought lunch for him to eat on the drive/in the terminal. We went straight to tour the clubs/nursery once onboard. At 2:00 when rooms were ready, we went to our room and put him for a nap and ordered room service for our lunch. It was so gloriously calm having lunch on the balcony while he napped until muster.
Thanks! I think this will be our plan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter