Drive 17 hours straight or stop over night?

Newtowdw1--Your post made me :lmao:. That was the best warning against an all night drive!

We've got an 18 hour drive, and plan on leaving at o dark 30 (3 or 4) and stopping for the night around 7, depending on everyone's state of mind. That leaves a fairly short second day of driving.

We're just too old to recover quickly from lack of sleep anymore.

Thanks. It was a nightmare trip. It makes me laugh now too. DD chiming in 'I've thrown up in every state..." makes me think of those maps you get to put stickers on. :scared1:

Really, think about emergencies in the dark. It seems that I'm standing on the side of a freeway at least once/trip. I'd rather do it in the light, personally!

Wow - there are lots of different opinions here!!

Okay - my vote is to leave in the late afternoon/early evening and GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!

My neices and nephews are 2, 4, 6, 15, 17, 19. Its really nice cause we all have fun and talk, watch movies, play all the car games etc and they usually fall asleep between 10 and midnight. They snooze all night long and wake up for our breakfast stop around 7am (we are always the first at cracker barrel) - typically, they almost always fall asleep again for the short rest of the ride!!

Coming home is always awful for us - there is just no way around it (unless you fly) everyone is tired and misses Disney!!!!

Have fun which ever you do (PS - Southwest fares are pretty low right now if you havent checked lately)!!

Thanks everyone for your responses!!

We have decided to split the trip! We are going to leave about 5:00am and stop in Savannah GA for an over-night break, then head out around 8:00am for Orlando!! We hope to be at our resort by 2:00pm :banana:

I made a reservation at a Holiday Inn in Savannah so we are good to go!!

I appreaciate everyone's comments!!!

Hi Mom2B&R

It must be a relief to have that part of your trip decided, no matter which way you decide, just good to have one less thing to think about.:) On the way home from WDW last time we stopped for dinner in Savannah and I know we left Disney late that day because we had lunch on the beach in Daytona (only an hour or so from Orlando). I remember thinking it was an easy drive to Savannah from WDW and we took our time drove small HWYs, went sightseeing etc.... Have fun fun fun!

Thanks for letting us know what you decided....update us when you get home, K?

We live in Central Ohio and have driven MANY times. We have always stopped an spent the night in either Charlotte, N.C. or Hilton Head, South Carolina. In September we drove straight through....but I don't think we will do that again. We were just soooo exhausted when we finally got to WDW.

We have decided to split the trip! We are going to leave about 5:00am and stop in Savannah GA for an over-night break, then head out around 8:00am for Orlando!! We hope to be at our resort by 2:00pm :banana:

Hi, I just realized that you are going in August- what dates are you going? We are going Aug 16-20, but leaving the 14th sometime to drive down. Thanks for starting this thread, because this will be our first time driving, and I still can't decide how to split up the drive. :confused3 I think every 5 minutes I change my mind. :rolleyes:

That sounds like a good plan - and you might get to Savannah in time for a nice dinner and a little sightseeing.

To the OP: We drove once and we had made such good time, we went straight through on the way down. The drive itself wasnt too bad, but on the seconf full day, DH and I both got hit with what felt like jet lag and we had to call it a day about 3 pm. I'd stop close to the Fl state line on the way down. Bust it out in one day, on the way home if you like.

We drive about 18 hours too. I've done both. Our kids are excellent travelers. I highly, highly

HIGHLY

recommend stopping. Did I say STOP!! yet?

Ahem. Well.
We start at 4 am. The kids sleep the night before in cozy clothes, and trundle sleepily into the van with their blankies and pillows.

Around 8 am we stop for doughnuts and coffee.

Around 12 noon we get go to a grocery store and buy some sandwich stuff. We play hide and seek and jump rope at a handy park or rest stop.

Around 3 pm we start to stop at the welcome centers, picking up the hotel flyers to see who has a pool, wi-fi and a decent price. Complimentary bfast is a plus too.

DH decides to stop around 5 to 6 pm. We swim. We eat. We chortle madly about Disney. We sleep. We get up about 7 am. Have breakfast, maybe swim again, and head out.

The advantages of this system is that DH doesn't get into a driving obsession and feel the need to keep going. We're allowed out every couple hours to pee. Our knees don't feel like they'll never straighten again. No one threatens to kill the children within their earshot. We're all still feeling happy about Disney and going together the next day. No one cries.

However, my experience with traveling straight through...

Kids are too excited to sleep much on the way down.
Kids are so excited they are bored and bouncy, shrill and shreeky.
Kids are given snacks and drinks to shut them up.
Kids have to pee.
Driver becomes exasperated with amount of stopping.
Driver needs to stop in unfamiliar places in the middle of the night for peeing.
Driver gets on wrong road, or the right road going the wrong way. Or the right road going the right way, but it's so blasted DARK in North Carolina at night, who KNOWS where you are anyway!!! Ahem.

So, after escaping the military school grounds, you get back on the interstate. Only to keep going. And going. And going.
:scared1:

Children begin to moan uncontrollably with despair. Oh wait, that was me. :rolleyes:

By the time you get to Disney, you are fried. Beyond exhausted. I was awake the one time we did it for over 38 hours. Our shirts all read "We're too excited to sleep!" I was. I was not a nice woman, however. :scared:

We drove straight through with two drivers, two elementary school kids, and 9 high school seniors. And me. I was shotgun the whole time. I kept the drivers awake. I plugged the various ipods in to the cassette adaptor, navigated, and interpreted the various shrieks and moans into intelligible commands for the driver, "I need to pee." "I need to get out NOW." "If we don't stop right NOW I'm going to puke." "Even if we do stop NOW, I'll puke, so stop NOW so I can do it outside."

Did I mention that my daughter and son developed strep while in Disney on that trip? On the way home I sat behind the drivers, on a short bench seat. My knees never unbent. Everytime I started to drift off, my head would sag, causing my neck to spasm and snap me back to wakefulness. DS just leaned on me and was sad. DD puked in every state on the way home except Maryland and Pennsylvania. In the middle of the night. In the dark on I95. Stumbling onto the shoulder of the highway in the dark. Puking helplessly. Couple times she tumbled down the side of the road into the ditch. :eek: Only once did I step on a fire ant hill in my sandals while trying to help her.

DH offered to stop for the night with only 4 hours to go, but we were all so numb with despair, illness, and exhaustion that we just stared at him in horror. Prolong this agony? PLEASE just get us HOME!

I do not recommend driving straight through with children. :hug: Trust me when I say that if you decide to do so anyway, I'll pray for you.

Hysterical and well written. My husband wants to drive straight through- no kids, but I read this to him anyway. I will let you know if you need to start praying for me!

I am actually leaving next Friday for a camping trip that takes us roughly 12 hours to get to. I drive straight through although the extra 5 hours might make me change my mind and stop over night as sometimes I feel lucky to make it all in one shot and a couple years have needed to stop at a rest area and take a 1 to 1 1/2 hour "nap". Typically I do the trip overnight so that my DD6 could sleep through and it's worked wonderfully. Last year was my DD1 and husbands first time coming and he wanted to do it during the day so we left at 2pm and what a nightmare with traffic but he never trusts me when I tell him something and so we always have to do it the hard way once before he listens. This year we are doing the overnight travel and will leave at around 1-2am (depending on how early I can actually lay down and get some shuteye so that I'll be ready for the long haul). It will require that I wake the kids briefly to get them in the car but I'm pretty sure they will pass back out pretty quickly. I'll drive till around 8am and then stop somewhere for breakfast and to stretch the legs then plan to be back on the road by 9amish and then we will stop for lunch before arriving at the site. We can't check it till 3pm so I suspect we will get there between 2 and 3pm.

I much prefer overnight. There are far less travelers on the road, it's much easier to get through any road work sites, less stressful and it's quiet/peaceful. I tend to bring a portable dvd player for my kids when they are awake, but overnight while they are asleep I'll pop a dvd in that i've seen a million times and listen to it while driving or i'll listen to a book on cd.

Good luck!

From up here in Lake County, it's 17 hours. I think about 1040 miles.

That's where I am and we'll be driving to DW next year. We'll stop in Kentucky and visit with my BF, spend the night there and leave early the next morning for Orlando.

When we drove in March (16hrs), there was no way we could have gotten away without stopping. By the end of 9 hours, my 3 yr old was screaming because his legs hurt so bad. The first hotel we stopped at didn't have any rooms, but we were fortunate enough that the lady at the front desk let us sit in the lobby so he could stretch and we could massage his legs. I felt absolutely horrible. We found another hotel a few miles down the road.

We drive about 11 hours and that is about everyone's limit. By that time I am going crazy, my legs hurt from sitting and I am just miserable. We leave in the afternoon so by about 8 or 9 my little ones are sleeping. After a few hours of sleeping in the car seat he has had enough. I guess he feels like he wants to roll over and get comfy and he can't. That is where the car ride really goes down hill. He will cry and whine until we get there. So, we drive all the way, but if our ride was another hour or two we would have to break it up. Have a great trip!:)

Definately stop overnight.

We always said our vacation starts when we leave home, NOT just when we get to WDW.

Stopping is so much better for everyone. We always packed lunches and stopped at nice shady rest stops, let everyone unwind for an hour or so, and stretch. Stopping overnight along the way can be fun and adventurous too. A little pre-planning goes a long way.

Turning and burning puts so much unneeded stress on everyone. Build travel time into your journey. Everyone will be the better for it.

:)

Glad this thread is revived. I posted on it last year, before our first road trip. Maybe I have kids that just like the car, but since last years post, we have taken 2 other road trips besides our disney one. On the way down to WDW (our first road trip) we stopped. On the way home, the kids did so good, we cancelled our overnight ressie and drove straight through. 19 hours. Yup, you heard it right. At that time, they were 2, 3 and 6. God Bless them! :lovestruc

We just got back from NC a few months ago, another 17 hour trip...and this time with 2 big dogs in our minivan as well. All did AWESOME...and we drove straight through both ways. I don't think I'll do it any other way....at least for now. But again, maybe my family is just a wierd exception! :rotfl:

we drove once, 16 hours. The ride went so well that we went ahead and drove all the way in one day. The ride itself was fine. However, on the second full day DH and I felt very jetlagged and we went back to the resort mid afternoon. So buyer beware.

We drove last summer and stopped over night. We left at 3 am but needed to make a lot of bathroom stops on the way down. My in-laws were with us so my father-in-law needed to stretch his legs a lot & my mother-in-law needed a lot more breaks than my little ones. This slowed us down a bit as well as traffic in VA & ended up taking over 15 hours to get to our stop in SC which should have been about 12 with some stops. We still had quite a few hours to drive the next day to reach Disney. The second day was harder for our kids bc they still had to get up early since we had 5 hours to drive w/out all the stops. They just wanted to be in WDW. We're driving this Halloween and will be by ourselves. We're hoping to get further the first day, so the next day will be a lot shorter. We're actually hoping the room discount will be extended so we can leave at 3 am & arrive in Disney by 11 am w/our stops to eat, stretch & get gas. That way we're already there, have slept and don't have to worry about driving the next day.

well now i know its better to stop! we cant decide weather to go to DL or WDW. either way its over a 20 hr drive. so now i kno it would be better to stop! thanks!!:)

I always advocate driving during your normal waking hours. Too many accidents happen when people mess with their circadian rhythms. If you usually sleep at night, I'd leave at 6am, do a stop over around 6pm, then finish the drive the next day. You'll have a lot of energy to unpack your car and get settled and enjoy a good 1/2 day at the park.

We just drove down from PA and stopped over in NC. Truth be told, I'd rather have driven a little farther, perhaps into SC before stopping.

I always advocate driving during your normal waking hours. Too many accidents happen when people mess with their circadian rhythms.

I agree 100%. Drive during your normal waking hours!!! :)

My DH drives us straight through 16+ hours on the way down. We leave at 5/6 am and get there around 10pm-12am depending on stops. On the way back we are more tired and we break it up at the 8 hour mark and stay on the beach.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter