Drills and Chills - October 2023 Exercise Thread

20 minutes for me, which brings me (PollyannaMom) to 130/500 and orange, along with sophy1996 and BonnieF!! :tigger: :cheer2: :tigger: :cheer2: :tigger:

The team is over 4 thousand minutes now!!

Our next movie is Hocus Pocus, released July 16th, 1993. (Odd that one of the most obviously Halloween movies wasn't released on Halloween.) ~

1696858731509.png 1696858817054.png

Here's an interview with the stars that came out just before the sequel: (under 3 minutes, with cute kid and pet costumes 🎃)

This year marks the 30th anniversary, and many theaters are showing the original on the big screen in the lead-up to Halloween, so check around if you're a fan. - more info

You can also watch anytime on Disney+ or plenty of times on Freeform. (Hint: The Pop 'n Knowledge version is showing in the afternoon on October 14th!)

Nice work, everyone! The team is at 4,194 minutes and Raya has reached orange as well!! :cheer2::tigger: :cheer2:

I added 20 minutes of outdoor walking (counted 1/3 of about an hour apple-picking - I think we walked more to and from the parking area than around the orchard, but it was good for our steps, and we had blast!)

(getting some page freeze error messages, so will come back later to post the movie)

Wow... I'm starting the month behind and off track.
+105 for the past week and a half
195/1395... 14%

I really need to get my behind in gear... and get some good outdoors clothing to wear. Last fall/winter I had the perfect selection of all-weather coats and jackets but I've lost enough weight that none of them fit any longer. I've been trying to rebuilt my collection but not with much luck. I like to invoke my Scandinavian heritage with the saying: “Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlig klær!” translated to "There's no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothes"... and it is stormy outside but sadly, I only have bad clothes.

Last edited:
Wow... I'm starting the month behind and off track.
+105 for the past week and a half
195/1395... 14%

I really need to get my behind in gear... and get some good outdoors clothing to wear. Last fall/winter I had the perfect selection of all-weather coats and jackets but lost enough weight that none of them fit any longer. I've been trying to rebuilt my collection but not with much luck. I like to invoke my Scandinavian heritage with the saying: “Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlig klær!” translated to "There's no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothes"... and it is stormy outside but sadly, I only have bad clothes.
What a great saying! So true!

Congrats to Oneanne on reaching blue!! :cheer2: :jumping3: :cheer2:

Today's movie is Tower of Terror, released October 22, 1997.
1696967167152.png

"Tower of Terror is a made-for-TV production supernatural thriller from Walt Disney Television. The 89-minute film is based on The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror theme park attraction at Florida’s Walt Disney World Resort, the first Disney production featuring one of its own attractions. Steve Guttenberg portrays a former distinguished reporter who fell on hard times and now toils for a sleazy tabloid. His fortunes begin looking up after stumbling across a 1939 episode in which five people mysteriously disappear while in a luxury hotel elevator during a lightning storm. Buzzy Crocker (Guttenberg) and his niece Anna (Kirsten Dunst) become involved through a chance encounter with Abigail Gregory (Amzie Strickland), an older sister of one of the victims. Abigail claims to know the “real” story behind the incident, and her version intrigues Buzzy and Anna; so much that they attempt to recreate the decades-long mystery in hopes of solving it."

I haven't seen this one, but I might try to catch it this "spooky season". - Edited to add: It isn't on Disney+ :eek: I put a hold on the DVD from my library.

50 minutes for me (200/500) and the team is at 4,609 minutes and 36%!

Today's movie brings us to the lighter side of Halloween:

Under Wraps, released October 25, 1997
1697052710808.png "...a Halloween-themed film involving the discovery of a 3,000-year-old mummy (Bill Fagerbakke) by a trio of 12-year-olds."

The original is rated G, with an IMDb rating of 6.5/10:

It seems to have been remade in 2021, but only got a 4.8 this time:

Though a sequel was added in 2022:

Here's one that more people will probably have seen:

Halloweentown, released October 17, 1998:
1697117830665.png
"A Disney Channel Original Movie that’s become a Halloween-season standard, 1998’s Halloweentown stars screen legend Debbie Reynolds as the matriarch of what turns out to be a family of witches. When Aggie (Reynolds) unexpectedly drops in for a visit, her daughter (Gwen) isn’t as thrilled as her three children about the surprise appearance. Aggie’s drop-in coincides with an argument between Gwen and the children regarding why they aren’t allowed to celebrate Halloween. To Gwen’s displeasure, the grandmother supports her grandchildren’s desires, and Gwen is soon fighting a losing battle. Against Gwen’s wishes, Aggie begins training Marnie, the 13-year old, to be a witch."

This town where it was filmed celebrates the movie every Halloween:
https://spiritofhalloweentown.com/

Last edited:
I don't love the movie, but Nightmare Before Christmas is so helpful in explaining Cultural Appropriation. There's Jack, who knows nothing about Christmas and has never seen it before but he's positive he can make it better by making it look like his culture. He doesn't even take a second to learn anything about it! The music is great too!

I'm giving myself 5 whole minutes for yesterday's adventure: I got rid of a much beloved but not often used recliner so I could move my weight bench and weights into the TV room. I did a quick exercise 'snack' of squats and dead lifts to check for fit. I'm ready to go for more lifting sessions!

And then 40 minutes on the treadmill today. We're trying to decide if we're going to cancel our trip home at the end of the month, so I focused on that. Wish I could find a great treadmill TV show or book on tape instead!

Raya - 162/400 - 40%
week 1: 80/100
week 2: 82/100

Congrats to Twilight Sparkle!!! :cheer2: :figment::cheer2:

Team total has broken through the 5000 mark!!! And we're at 39%.

Today's movie is Don’t Look Under the Bed, released October 9, 1999.
1697217853228.png

I have definitely never seen this one:

but the article says:
"In an unusual departure from their traditional “feel good” productions, the Disney Channel Original Movie, Don’t Look Under the Bed, is a full-blown horror film, only the second attempt at the genre by Disney’s television wing. The pastoral little town of Middleberg has been undergoing some strange occurrences, including alarm clocks sounding off well before their settings, dogs appearing on the roofs of houses, gelatin in the community swimming pool, and most disturbingly, the letter “B” inexplicably turning up spray-painted all over the town."

Here's a longer explanation with more details:
https://screenrant.com/dont-look-under-bed-last-disney-horror-movie/

Last edited:
+25 tonight from the exercise bike.
250/500

I loved the original Under Wraps. It was a surprisingly heartfelt movie. Don't Look Under the Bed is an odd one. It kind of turns out to be a love story between a girl and her imaginary friend, if I remember correctly... and you can't go wrong with Halloweentown!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter