Dressing for dinner

Jhondy

Mouseketeer
It is just me and my 3 yr. Old going on the cruise in October so I’m trying to fit everything into one suitcase. I’m not bringing a stroller so will likely have to carry DD through the airport while pulling the suitcase. That being said, dinners have me concerned about attire. DD will likely be in a princess dress every night for dinner. For me, I have a dress for formal night (nothing spectacular but a dress from when I was a maid of honor), a dress for semi-formal night, a costume for Halloween night (it’s just a mommy shark hoodie cause DD will be baby shark, she picked the costumes), and a costume for pirate night. That leaves 4 nights where I don’t have a special outfit planned. Will I feel out of place if I go to dinner in shorts and a plain colored T-shirt? Is wearing slides acceptable or should I be in tennis shoes?

People wear all different kinds of attire for dinner. I'm bringing a dress for each night just because I have them (and I never wear them since I work from home now). In the past, I've worn a blouse and jeans. My husband wears short sleeve shirt and shorts most nights.

Shorts and a plain colored t shirt should be fine. Some people will be a little more dressed up than that and some a little less dressed up from that. Just obviously no swimwear.

What you have planned seems fine.

I usually never dress up unless we are going to Palo.

Bring a light sweater or shawl as the MDR and theaters can get chilly.

Enjoy.

While I like to dress a little nicer for dinner than my regular daytime/park attire, shorts and a tshirt are definitely acceptable and you will see others dressed like that. In fact, that would go for any night, even formal.

I will also add on my last 7 night in 2019 I wore a navy blue, knee length, lace, cocktail dress. I felt VERY overdressed. It seemed to me on that cruise at least, almost no one was dressing any different on semi formal night than any other night.

Except for dressing up for formal and semi formal, we wore shorts and Disney T shirts to the MDRs nightly, and did not feel out of place. As far as shoes in the MDR...as long as you're not barefoot, you're good!

While I like to dress a little nicer for dinner than my regular daytime/park attire, shorts and a tshirt are definitely acceptable and you will see others dressed like that. In fact, that would go for any night, even formal.

I will also add on my last 7 night in 2019 I wore a navy blue, knee length, lace, cocktail dress. I felt VERY overdressed. It seemed to me on that cruise at least, almost no one was dressing any different on semi formal night than any other night.
When we were on the Fantasy in April 2019 we were waaaay underdressed for Formal night, not realizing that it existed on the sailing. Most were wearing Suits/Tux/Formal wear. We were in shorts/shirts because we weren't prepared for anything other than a meal at Palo.

We were on the 8/10/22 sailing of the Magic and wore dress shirts/jeans/dress shoes for dinner and fit right in. It really just depends on your sailings.

I wore sundresses to the dinners on the ship. I’m pretty sure I even had on flip flops with one of them. They pack light if that’s an option for you and you feel the need to be a little dressy.

It is just me and my 3 yr. Old going on the cruise in October so I’m trying to fit everything into one suitcase. I’m not bringing a stroller so will likely have to carry DD through the airport while pulling the suitcase. That being said, dinners have me concerned about attire. DD will likely be in a princess dress every night for dinner. For me, I have a dress for formal night (nothing spectacular but a dress from when I was a maid of honor), a dress for semi-formal night, a costume for Halloween night (it’s just a mommy shark hoodie cause DD will be baby shark, she picked the costumes), and a costume for pirate night. That leaves 4 nights where I don’t have a special outfit planned. Will I feel out of place if I go to dinner in shorts and a plain colored T-shirt? Is wearing slides acceptable or should I be in tennis shoes?
You should pick outfits that compliment your daughters outfits. Because as long as it looks good in pictures it’s all that matters when you get home. If she has purple, wear purple. You should consider the photo package. Best “mommy and me” pictures you’ll ever have. You can wear anything in the Caribbean cruises and fit in. It’s not Walmart shopper apparel with flannel pants and slippers, so take a step above that and you’ll be fine. Once out of the Caribbean area, to say Europe, then it will change to nicer things. Definitely pick some fun outfits that you’re going to like in the photo 20 years down the road.

I wore sundresses to the dinners on the ship. I’m pretty sure I even had on flip flops with one of them. They pack light if that’s an option for you and you feel the need to be a little dressy.
this is usually what I do, as well. I like wearing sundresses so for me it's not a burden to 'dress up' just a bit for dinner (meaning, during the day I'm usually just wearing my swimsuit/cover up, so I don't have to go far to 'dress up' from that! 🤣

You should pick outfits that compliment your daughters outfits. Because as long as it looks good in pictures it’s all that matters when you get home. If she has purple, wear purple. You should consider the photo package. Best “mommy and me” pictures you’ll ever have. You can wear anything in the Caribbean cruises and fit in. It’s not Walmart shopper apparel with flannel pants and slippers, so take a step above that and you’ll be fine. Once out of the Caribbean area, to say Europe, then it will change to nicer things. Definitely pick some fun outfits that you’re going to like in the photo 20 years down the road.

I do have the photo package booked! I am great at dressing my toddler but have a terrible time dressing me. So, while wearing something that would compliment her outfit sounds awesome, I don’t even know how to go about that since she will be in all princess dresses.

DD has BBB on formal night but that will be the one night she won’t wear a princess dress. She has a fancy dress that has a Cinderella pattern on it…plus my kid keeps saying she wants to dress as the Evil Queen for BBB so not very formal night appropriate lol. I’m hoping she changes her mind to a princess dress since after BBB she has the princess tea party…but she adores the Evil Queen so who knows what she will decide

I do have the photo package booked! I am great at dressing my toddler but have a terrible time dressing me. So, while wearing something that would compliment her outfit sounds awesome, I don’t even know how to go about that since she will be in all princess dresses.

DD has BBB on formal night but that will be the one night she won’t wear a princess dress. She has a fancy dress that has a Cinderella pattern on it…plus my kid keeps saying she wants to dress as the Evil Queen for BBB so not very formal night appropriate lol. I’m hoping she changes her mind to a princess dress since after BBB she has the princess tea party…but she adores the Evil Queen so who knows what she will decide
So it’s not so hard if you think about just keeping it basic. When she has Cinderella or Frozen on, try to wear any blue but not orange. An all white outfit for you could cover several characters and don’t be afraid to wear it again on the trip. Earth tones for Pocahontas and maybe even Malon.
Have you ever looked up “Disney bounding”?
https://www.wdw-magazine.com/our-guide-on-how-to-disneybound/
Now I’ve given you much to think about. But you are going to love your photos move than you knew you could.
Just think about her dressing up as the major character and your outfit the colors of the secondary character. Like if she had a frozen outfit on and you wore all white like Olaf. (But had an orange belt to signify the nose) LOL I just made it so much worse for you to pack now. Just remember it’s about the two of you and who cares what they see you wear.
PS if you can stick to red/black on pirate night you’ll match Minnie and Mickey

If she wants to be the Evil Queen on Formal Night, she still will be better dressed than a lot of people. And she will be happy. Maybe scary.

This year, I have been amazed at how many people don’t bother changing for dinner (so I somewhat stopped, too). I actually like dressing for the restaurant’s mood /style, so I go more casual at Animator’s but dressier when at Triton’s, Royal Table.

Solid colors on you when she is in a costume would definitely help with pattern clashing - and make her the star of the show.

Sounds like fun.

Wear what ever you want, within reason (i.e., don't try to wear your bikini, Daisy Duke's, or pajamas:rotfl2:). I have never worn a suit, tie, slacks, or sport coat to the main dining rooms. My usual attire is a Tommy Bahama type shirt and shorts. I'm on vacation, I don't want to have to dress like I'm going to work.

plus my kid keeps saying she wants to dress as the Evil Queen for BBB so not very formal night appropriate lol. I’m hoping she changes her mind to a princess dress since after BBB she has the princess tea party…but she adores the Evil Queen so who knows what she will decide

I mean honestly, if she's dressed up as the Evil Queen at the Tea Party, I bet the Princesses will eat that up and she'll get some really unique interactions!

Will I feel out of place if I go to dinner in shorts and a plain colored T-shirt? Is wearing slides acceptable or should I be in tennis shoes?

You won't feel out of place at all. I wear flip-flops and shorts to every meal. Even on Formal Night, you're not going to see many men wearing suits and tuxes or women wearing elegant gowns.

Last edited:
I mean honestly, if she's dressed up as the Evil Queen at the Tea Party, I bet the Princesses will eat that up and she'll get some really unique interactions!

She wore the evil queen costume to artist point about a month ago and she got lots of attention. I don’t think they see many newly turned 3 yr. Olds dressed up as the evil queen. And it was very obvious how much she adores the evil queen. She had great interactions with all the characters at that dinner.

Today on the way to daycare, she was talking to the evil queen picture on her cup and telling the evil queen that she was her best friend lol.

I’m fine with whatever she wants to dress as, as long as it’s her decision, but I know the attention from all the guests and cast members at Wilderness Lodge when she was the evil queen made her uncomfortable cause she knew everyone was looking at her so she clung to me. I was actually worried all the attention would make her not have a good interaction with the actual evil queen but once she saw her it was like the only two people in the room were my daughter and the evil queen

I never get “dressed up” for the dinners. most times I’m in a nice top and capri pants and sneakers or sandals. for formal night, a nicer top and capri pants, LOL! I don’t get dressed up like that but many families do. II Know for adult dinners they want long pants and men Ithink (I don’t have one) need a dress jacket.

Maybe a little conversation before the trip about how spectacular she will look in her outfits and that draws people to talk to her. Make sure she will be comfortable with the expected attention. Disney guests and crew are probably more likely to interact with a dressed up person than the average person on the street.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter