Dress question - How many (for my wife)

How many dresses for Formal/Semi/Palos

• 1 dresses for all 3

• 2 dresses

• 3 dresses

• Let your wife decide. You are crazy for having an opinion!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Yes, they just opened a Marshall's last week! I haven't been there yet though. I'm glad to hear dress pants would be ok. I have some nice dress pants and nice dressy short sleeve sweaters I wear to work when the corporate bosses come to visit. Awesome!

Oh, yeah dress pants are fine! I'm bringing dress pants for semi-formal night and maybe for Palo diner. (Packing now, just a day and a half left!)

hubby_of_newtodisney said:
All,

I think that she can get away with bringing two dresses - One for semiformal night and then a nicer one for both formal and Palo's night. She insists on 3.

What do you think?

This is like asking a girl how many pairs of shoes they should bring. :D

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I'm hesistant to suggest this because many have an "eww" factor, but I've been *shocked* by some of the stuff (brand new with tags - even in my unusual size) at Goodwill/Salvation Army.

I started going because my kids like to Cosplay and I wasn't going to special order or even special buy stuff for the massive amounts of costumes they dress in (they're tweens/teens - not little kids) and go to meetups, etc.

I had an aversion to buying clothes that someone else wore (slight OCD in our house), until I started finding some amazing things with the original tags on them. I know for a fact that they get Ross overstock because they had 15 identical dresses all with the original Ross tags still on them.

The trick is to go multiple times (and go to multiple stores if you can). They get new stock every single day and there are literally "bargain hunters" as well as people from those trendy "vintage shops" there Every Single Day.

I went to Nordstrom Rack, I went to Macy's, I went to Ross, Kohl's, looked on Amazon and could never find anything I liked that actually looked good ON me. At the Salvation Army, I found a $300 bridesmaids dress (missing the sash - which I replaced for $2.50 at the fabric store) with its original tag for $13. And it fit like it was made for me. :D

The first dress I bought for my upcoming cruise was a $2 Goodwill find. Since that time, my preteen daughter has grown 6 inches and has claimed rights to the dress for semi-formal night. That's okay, though, for semi-formal, I have a $7 black cocktail dress from ebay. Both are machine washable and look brand new.

I'm taking 3 dresses total....a simple long navy blue gown for formal night, the black cocktail dress, and a nice sundress with a black cardigan for Palo dinner and Remy brunch. Silver heels match all 3. I rarely get to dress up, and I'm very excited to do so. For the other 4 nights, I am bringing a simple knee length knit skirt and a pair of black capris, and a couple of blouses and cardigans that I can mix and match. The capris will be part of my pirate costume as well.

OP, let your wife bring what she wants. I'm telling my DH what to bring, but only because he has asked me to. He admits to having a total lack of fashion sense. :rotfl:

Thanks for the links. I do not like dresses and am very frugal, so I have a feeling this shopping trip won't be enjoyable. :(

I'm hesistant to suggest this because many have an "eww" factor, but I've been *shocked* by some of the stuff (brand new with tags - even in my unusual size) at Goodwill/Salvation Army.

I started going because my kids like to Cosplay and I wasn't going to special order or even special buy stuff for the massive amounts of costumes they dress in (they're tweens/teens - not little kids) and go to meetups, etc.

I had an aversion to buying clothes that someone else wore (slight OCD in our house), until I started finding some amazing things with the original tags on them. I know for a fact that they get Ross overstock because they had 15 identical dresses all with the original Ross tags still on them.

The trick is to go multiple times (and go to multiple stores if you can). They get new stock every single day and there are literally "bargain hunters" as well as people from those trendy "vintage shops" there Every Single Day.

I went to Nordstrom Rack, I went to Macy's, I went to Ross, Kohl's, looked on Amazon and could never find anything I liked that actually looked good ON me. At the Salvation Army, I found a $300 bridesmaids dress (missing the sash - which I replaced for $2.50 at the fabric store) with its original tag for $13. And it fit like it was made for me. :D

You won't get an "eww" from me. You can often find some great dresses at second hand stores or consignment shops. You can also find great deals at bridal shops for old bridesmaid's and mother of the bride dresses. I normally don't buy a dress unless it is on sale or I have a coupon. You can often find some really good deals at places like Macy's or Carson's. You just have to watch.

Let her take as many as she likes :-) We're taking a 7 Nigh Caribbean in 2014 and I have a dress for every night! (I'm disneybounding as the princess for dinner) ^^

Agreed! It's a vacation! OP - What do you care if your wife wants to wear four different dresses in a single day?

I kept my mouth shut. We still overpacked for the cruise!

Most importantly, did you both have a great time? We overpacked for ours too BTW.

I kept my mouth shut. We still overpacked for the cruise!

You did the right thing.
Keep the DW happy, everyone is happy. :santa:

eva said:
You won't get an "eww" from me. You can often find some great dresses at second hand stores or consignment shops. You can also find great deals at bridal shops for old bridesmaid's and mother of the bride dresses. I normally don't buy a dress unless it is on sale or I have a coupon. You can often find some really good deals at places like Macy's or Carson's. You just have to watch.

DH found a pair of dress shoes at goodwill. They were still being sold at Dillard's/Macy's for$150+ but we paid $5and they looked like brand new. We had been shopping for pirate gear and never expected to find such a deal!

As far as dresses, I love Macy's sales combined with their coupon and Dillard's when they take an extra 30%-50% off clearance. I found a beautiful red gown at Dillard's that was normally $350 for $55!

As far as OPs wife, I say let her bring 3 if she wants. I tend to overpack but 3 for 7 night is definitely not overpacking IMHO :-)

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Agreed! It's a vacation! OP - What do you care if your wife wants to wear four different dresses in a single day?

Constantly changing or constantly waiting on a person to change isn't much of a vacation. Just my opinion.

My dad tried to tell me I was packing too much. I think at one point I told him "Then I will be the one to suffer. I'm paying to check in wine." Don't mess with a girl and her clothes... or wine.

Let her take as many as she likes :-) We're taking a 7 Nigh Caribbean in 2014 and I have a dress for every night! (I'm disneybounding as the princess for dinner) ^^

Ohhh who are you Disney Bounding as? I love the stuff she has for Rapunzel, but I'm so much more a Belle (as in book nerdy, give me a library type.).

Ladies, can you post links to the kinds of dresses you're bringing? We have a 7 day WC scheduled for June and I need help packing. I wear jeans everyday to work and am not a dress person. So I guess I need to go shopping.

I wear scrubs to work and live in pjs, so I get the whole "don't dress up" thing. Here's what I brought:
http://www.modcloth.com/shop/dresses/soda-fountain-dress-in-cherry
Love this dress! Wore it to Palo's brunch, wore it to semi-formal night (because for me to wear a dress is considered dressed up no matter the dress.), wore it to my college graduation (and it was funny because all my teachers were like "Kim's dressed up! She's in a dress! She's wearing makeup! She's wearing earrings! This must be important!"). Love it. Comfy. Just kinda' bad if you are busty...

I don't have a picture of the formal night from the store. Only me wearing it:
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n34/knittingknerd/cruise_zps6428e9ee.jpg
(I was looking at a lot more expensive things and my friend and I were at Target. She saw this and was like "This is fancy, it's formal for you. And it's your color." Oh and it was $17.00! Only problem? It was super short and would ride up in the back...).

I brought 4 dresses? 2 of them were a Susan Graver/QVC liquid knit in color. I brought a few skirts. My one complaint/note of caution: I don't wear heels, I live in Birks, sneakers, flip flops, or bare foot. I brought 2 pairs of heels, no flats except my flip flops... Guess what I was wearing to dinner a lot? Orthoheel flip flops. Don't pack heels if you don't wear them!

How often do you really get an excuse to dress up! I dress up each night, formal or otherwise just for an excuse to wear my evening clothes!

If my husband tried to tell me how many dresses I should take on a cruise and used some internet forum or poll to try to prove he was right, I would laugh in his face. You're lucky she is only bringing 3. I brought 2 formal, 4 semi-formal, and 2 sundresses.

:thumbsup2

Ok, I brought 5 cocktail type dresses for our 7 night in September. I really only needed 4, but I like to have options. I did bring dresses that went with 2 different pairs of shoes. So I didn't need 5 different pairs of shoes.

Here is what I wore to Remy:
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/adriann...ategoryid=0&fashionColor=Eclipse&resultback=0

Here is my Palo Dress (it is a lot fuller than this picture.):
http://www.overstock.com/Clothing-Shoes/SL-Fashions-Womens-Tiered-Party-Dress/7264039/product.html

This is similar to my formal night dress:
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/xscape-...extualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=&resultback=0

Think my gf is going to order one of those. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter