Dress Code

gary in florida

Mouseketeer
I know that this is a subject that causes posts both positive and negative. I just received an email prior to our cruise, 4 night Dream from PC. Here it is
Q.
Are there dress codes or guidelines regarding dressing for dinner?

A.
In general, most onboard dining locations are "cruise casual,” so casual attire, such as shorts and T-shirts, is permitted, with the exception of swimwear and tank tops. Most cruises have special theme nights that provide opportunities to dress up for a one-of-a-kind family photo. Here's a breakdown of special dress events by cruise itinerary:

3-night cruises:

• One cruise casual night—no swimwear or tank tops
  • One pirate night themed deck party
  • One optional “dress-up night"—jacket for men, dress or pantsuit for women
4-night cruises:

• First night is cruise casual—no swimwear or tank tops
  • One pirate night themed deck party
  • One optional dress-up night—jacket for men, dress or pantsuit for women
  • Final night is cruise casual—no swimwear or tank tops
7-night cruises:

• First night is cruise casual—no swimwear or tank tops
  • One pirate night or other themed deck party
  • 3 additional cruise casual nights—no swimwear or tank tops
  • One formal and one semi-formal night—both give you the opportunity to dress up and take advantage of the onboard photography services. Though optional, we recommend dress pants with a jacket or a suit for men, and dress or pantsuit for women
Dress Codes for Palo and Remy, Adults-Only Restaurants for Guests 18 and Older

So that we may provide an enjoyable and refined dining experience for all Guests, please be advised that tank tops, swimsuits, swimsuit cover-ups, shorts, hats, cut-offs, torn clothing, t-shirts with offensive language and/or graphics, flip-flops or tennis shoes are not permitted at Palo or Remy. We thank you for your understanding and your cooperation with the following dress requirements

At Palo: The elegant northern Italian-inspired dining venue aboard all 4 ships.

Dinner and Brunch
  • Men: dress pants or slacks and collared shirt; jacket is optional
  • Women: dress, skirt or pants with a blouse
  • Jeans may be worn if in good condition (no holes)
At Remy: Serving sophisticated French cuisine aboard the Disney Dream and Disney Fantasy.

Dress to Impress
To preserve the elegant atmosphere, you are asked to adhere to a strict dress code when dining at Remy.

Dinner
At dinnertime, the following dress code is enforced:

• Men: A jacket (such as a sports, suit or tuxedo jacket) is required, with dress pants/slacks and shoes. Ties are optional. Please no jeans, shorts, sandals, flip-flops or tennis shoes.
  • Ladies: Cocktail dress, evening dress, pant suit or skirt/blouse are required. Please no jeans, shorts, capri pants, sandals, flip-flops or tennis shoes.
Brunch and Dessert
During brunch and dessert, the following dress code is enforced:

• Men: Dress pants and a shirt are required for men. A jacket is optional. Please no jeans, shorts, capri pants, sandals, flip-flops or tennis shoes.
  • Women: A dress or pantsuit is required. Please no jeans, shorts, capri pants, sandals, flip-flops or tennis shoes.
If you prefer more formal attire during the optional dress-up evenings, you're invited to pre-order tailored formalwear rentals and have them delivered directly to your stateroom upon arrival. To learn more, visit Cruiseline Formalwear.

Did something change that I'm missing?

No, but a few week ago there were posts stating that tank tops were ok, some people felt that they were paying for the cruise therefore they could wear anything they like.

That has always been the way. Several months ago there was someone asking about wearing pajamas and then being all "It's MY vacation and I'm wearing them!!" when she was pretty much told by EVERYONE that pajamas in the MDR were NOT appropriate - ESPECIALLY at dinner.

No, but a few week ago there were posts stating that tank tops were ok, some people felt that they were paying for the cruise therefore they could wear anything they like.
There are always posts saying "tank tops" are OK. The problem is - that term originally was applied to sleeveless t-shirts used as undershirts (sometimes called "wife beaters). Nowadays, there are lots of dressy "tank tops" - sleeveless jersey shirts (typically worn by women) that people post as being allowed.

I think Disney needs to clarify that term as "sleeveless undershirts".

And they need to change the tennis shoe phrase to include sneakers, bc I'm pretty sure that's what they mean!

And they need to change the tennis shoe phrase to include sneakers, bc I'm pretty sure that's what they mean!
Maybe just say "sports shoes"? I'm fairly sure they originally meant what used to be called "tennis shoes"
wolve14482_4711_jb1.jpg

But it's now a term applied to such things as this:
16ADIMBRRCDCRT2WWTNN_White_Grey_is

Basically here are the rules for the main dining rooms:
  • Don't show up in underwear
  • Don't show up in a swimsuit, covered or not.
  • Don't wear something that would make grandma blush or reveals something you would have to explain to a small child
  • Don't wear something that promotes violence, drug use or other illegal activities
Rules for Remmy and Palo:
  • Dress like you are going to church
  • Don't wear shorts, flip flops or other non dressy shoes unless there is a medical reason needed to do so.
  • Dinner: Collared Shirt required at Palo - Dress Shirt & Jacket Required at Remy
It is an oversimplification, but that is the general gist and ultimately beyond what is posted above, do what makes you feel comfortable and don't worry about what others think.

There are always posts saying "tank tops" are OK. The problem is - that term originally was applied to sleeveless t-shirts used as undershirts (sometimes called "wife beaters). Nowadays, there are lots of dressy "tank tops" - sleeveless jersey shirts (typically worn by women) that people post as being allowed.

I think Disney needs to clarify that term as "sleeveless undershirts".

Exactly. There is a big difference between a $3 tank top and a $50+ tank top. Kind of like generalizing the phrase "sandal" when you mean flip flops.

Maybe just say "sports shoes"? I'm fairly sure they originally meant what used to be called "tennis shoes"
wolve14482_4711_jb1.jpg

But it's now a term applied to such things as this:
16ADIMBRRCDCRT2WWTNN_White_Grey_is

I would rephrase it to say "athletic shoes " but then some will argue their $250 tennis shoes are nicer than some people's walking shoes. Can't win.

I'm a big believer in the "if you think it's inappropriate, it probably is" approach to dress codes :)

Instead of church dress, call it wedding attire. Except some weddings are ultra casual too.

Everybody cruises for vacation for different reasons - the Disney guidelines seem reasonable to me. But then, I insist on wearing my tux to dinner on the optional dress-up night, so what do I know?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter