Dress Code- The Big Debate

We actually look forward to dressing up, but we are engineers and can wear t-shirts to work. Plus, there's something about dressing nicely when doing fine dining. I find the old cruise line standards a little romantic. However, we could care less what others wear, as long as it's not that outfit above. On our first DCL cruise, we had a great family at our table. Lots in common and our boys were the same age. We tend to dress up for dinner. One night they had been running late from their shore excursion and showed up in shorts and shirts, maybe even t-shirts. I honestly didn't even notice until the mom apologized. I was confused for a minute about what she was apologizing for. I said there was no need that we just like to dress up some but don't care what others wear.

You just have to wonder what is in the mindset of someone to actually don that in that situation.

I don't want to wonder about that:crazy2:

Well, I will admit this was Carnival, but someone posted their formal night picture a couple of years ago:
View attachment 236206

I'd really hope not to see something like that at dinner.
Oh my god, I'm dying laughing!

Yeah. This fits under my idea of "disgustingly revealing" if we're talking about a Disney cruise. I'm taking my kids to these dinners, for goodness sake!

Then again, it might be highly entertaining to hear what my DS6 would say if he saw this. He's pretty blunt and has zero volume modulation, so half the dining room might hear his opinion of this dress :rotfl2::rotfl2:

I'm with your husband - if I'm on vacation I want to wear what I want. Shorts and t-shirt will be fine on any cruise casual night.

My DH usually wears a pair of khakis and a polo shirt to dinner. "Formal" night for us is now just a shirt and tie for him and a blouse and slacks for me. Believe me, if you can sit at a table with a grown woman who comes down for breakfast to the MDR in baby doll short short pajamas and slippers, then you can put up with anything ;)

From DCL's website: "In general, most onboard dining locations are "cruise casual,” so casual attire, such as shorts and T-shirts, is permitted, with the exception of swimwear and tank tops." So your husband is a-ok with his plan as shorts and t-shirts are very much allowed. Anyone who says otherwise is, in this case, passing out incorrect info.

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faq/dining-food-beverages/dining-dress-codes/

Thanks for posting the policy. Having just returned I have to say that I wish Disney would enforce their own policy. Families that dressed up were not the norm. There were many folks wearing polo shirts and khakis. But the problem I saw is that those wearing tank tops, gym shorts, and holey cut offs were not turned away. At one meal we saw a woman wearing jean shorts with her cheeks hanging out a tank top that was also a midriff. In my opinion, the guests should have been asked to change.

A few years ago on my WBTA cruise the table next to me had a nice couple with their young daughter. The man at the table wore shorts, t-shirt and crocs for every meal in the MDR even on the formal/semi-formal nights. No one ever said anything to him about his attire.

You would never see anything like that on DCL. They'd be wearing matching Mickey ears and carrying a Duffy bear as well.
That is so true. I can't tell you how many grown women I've seen in Minnie Mouse dresses and ears or Cinderella dresses. Maybe more modest but just as ridiculous. Hopefully it was formal night on a Halloween cruise.LOL There's always one in the crowd. At least she has the body for it. We don't have to look at muffin top spilling out.

Hubby and I will also be on the same cruise OP mentioned! First cruise for us as well!! I was wondering about cruise casual.. my husband wants to walk onto the ship in swim trunks and a tshirt (he said so he's prepared.. lol) anyway, would that be ok, or should he do khaki shorts instead? Thanks!

It seems like the longer cruises see more folks wearing formal attire. The shorter cruises, by their nature, seem "come as you are ". Another reason for this may be those electing the 3- or 4- nts might be combining their cruise with park trips so they're not packing extra clothing that includes formal wear. I think the language of DCL calling what was Formal night "Optional Dress Up" night on the shorter cruises reinforces this "more casual/less formal" atmosphere. On our longer cruises, we always dressed up for Formal and Semi-formal nights, esp bc we had wonderful family portraits taken on those evenings. We have two shorter cruises coming up, and I can tell you this is the first time my husband won't be packing a jacket nor I any cocktail desses or heels. My daughters will have sundresses instead of formal ones . I myself don't feel comfortable wearing shorts in the MDRs bc of the fancier atmosphere (and low temps) but that's my choice. I feel like the nicer setting for me dictates nicer clothing choices. But as others have said, that's bc I look forward to dressing up/looking nice. I'm not really sure that we notice what others wear. But I have to admit I don't like to see people wearing baseball caps in restaurants, feels a little disrespectful maybe.

I feel like the nicer setting for me dictates nicer clothing choices. But as others have said, that's bc I look forward to dressing up/looking nice.
That's me, too.

I'm from the "old school" thinking that cruises have formal nights, and shared dining tables. Yes, I grew up on The Love Boat TV show and movies. And I liked that "feel" about cruising.

I'm saddened by the "casual-izing" of the cruise experience. But it is what it is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter