• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dress code relaxed for adult restaurants

I like the change, mostly to reduce packing if we choose to eat at Palo in the future. We are on the med cruise this week, and we have met three families whose luggage was lost by Delta. Some had a difficult time finding replacement clothes. None had their luggage a week into the cruise, despite Delta promising they would send it to Santorini.

We had packed only carryon for that very reason. While I have slacks and a dress shirt for formal night, I could not have fit a suit coat or dress shoes in my carryon.

By the way, if you can make it work, carryon has been fantastic. No waiting for for your luggage at the airport, easy to move in and out of hotels. Great to have everything with you as soon as your room is ready. No putting your luggage out the night before disembarking. Much quicker to pack up, since you have so much less stuff. We haven't missed a thing, and have even found stuff we can leave home next time. If we can do two weeks in Europe like this, anyone can. Just look into the one bag movement for great tips.
We ar e becoming only carryon people too and a lot of companies are making the tiny hard shell cases with packing cubes built in to allow for this

I'm quasi torn on this change. Personally, I prefer that everyone dress up at a place like Remy. After experiencing firsthand the effort that the chef puts into the presentation of the food, I feel obliged to do the same with my presentation. However, I understand that is my preference and I would never judge anyone else for wearing what they prefer. The part that I like about this change is that we're also talking about a cruise restaurant. When my family of 4 goes on a 7 night cruise (plus a few nights on vacation before and after), I am all about limiting luggage. My decision not to go to Remy in May was because I didn't want to pack a suit.

I did see an interesting experience at Palo brunch in May. A gentleman walked in wearing shorts and he was immediately pulled aside and told pants were required. I overheard that he didn't pack any, so they gave him the option of wearing borrowed pants or not eating there. He ultimately borrowed the pants and I thought that for Palo that felt a bit stuffy.

I’ll own up I’m from Europe and old and for me dressing up is part of the cruise experience. It’s my only chance on formal nights to wear a long sequinned gown.
But we also dress for dinner every evening in the MDR too. We also dress the two little grandkiddies. They love it! They can’t wait to enter and have without fail received compliments on how they look from the head server and server! In fact one head server thanked us for making the effort. In the MDR did I mind that folks were sitting in shorts and backwards caps? No not at all!
However, one evening my friend and I were going to Palo and so both dressed looking smart and sitting opposite us were a table of three.
They all had scruffy dirty jeans with holes and not in a designer way. They all wore sneakers and as it was pirate night wore bandanas and scruffy t shirts. And to some degree if you lose the dress code people will push the limits more and more and the restaurant is loathe to deal with it.
Did it effect the taste of my food? Of course not, but I would be sad to see Palo eventually looking as if I’d stepped into McDonald’s.
There was a massive thread on here once years back from a lady asking if she and her children could all get breakfast in the MDR in pajamas. It caused a huge debate. Her reasoning was they eat breakfast at home without dressing first so why should she dress on the ship?!
Well I guess no one’s egg would taste different just because that became the cruise standard. Who knows it might?
And I’m sure many would welcome it.
As I’m said I’m old and old fashioned and just haven’t moved with the times. In the interim my cruise party love a bit of glam!

Maybe it's just me but I can honestly say that I have never, not once, had an opinion about what other people were wearing on our cruises. I mean, I guess if someone was wearing something blatantly offensive and it was in my face, I would notice. Otherwise, I'm too busy paying attention to myself and my family. If I feel like dressing up, I will. But I couldn't care less about what the people at the table next to me are wearing. I just feel like this falls squarely in the "not my business" category.

There was a massive thread on here once years back from a lady asking if she and her children could all get breakfast in the MDR in pajamas. It caused a huge debate. Her reasoning was they eat breakfast at home without dressing first so why should she dress on the ship?!
My cruise meet group is organizing a pajama breakfast for one of the MDRs on our sea day so... I guess I hope nobody is offended by a giant group of peeps in their PJs at breakfast!

My cruise meet group is organizing a pajama breakfast for one of the MDRs on our sea day so... I guess I hope nobody is offended by a giant group of peeps in their PJs at breakfast!
I wouldn’t be offended in the slightest. It’s just not something that I’d do. But each to their own as they say!

I think in general, breakfast is more relaxed than dinner for a lot of people.

I just wonder how people would feel if the servers were allowed to wear jeans and t shirts? I mean does it affect the flavour of the food?
Ive never cruised so have no opinion either way but I enjoy the discussions and what-ifs. We we’re raised to dress up for special dinners and for going into “the City” to visit Nana.(Toronto)

I just wonder how people would feel if the servers were allowed to wear jeans and t shirts? I mean does it affect the flavour of the food?
Ive never cruised so have no opinion either way but I enjoy the discussions and what-ifs. We we’re raised to dress up for special dinners and for going into “the City” to visit Nana.(Toronto)
I don't think it's the same, though. The servers are at work and their attire is part of the restaurant's overall presentation to its guests.

I understand that people have different opinions on this, but I honestly wouldn't care at all. I've been to phenomenal restaurants with casually dressed servers, and it didn't bother me in the slightest.

I understand that people have different opinions on this, but I honestly wouldn't care at all. I've been to phenomenal restaurants with casually dressed servers, and it didn't bother me in the slightest.
Agreed (one being homecomin in Disney springs!)

Mine is bolded, but to me the guests are 100% part of this. If you can say the server dress matters then the patron guest matters. At least to me it matters.
But for the me the other guests aren't serving me or interacting with me in any way.

When I go to the theatre to watch people perform a play, I don't expect that the people in the theatre need to be dressed a certain way. They aren't the ones on the stage. That's how it's like with me and the servers. The diners aren't "on stage" so to speak.

I feel people should dress neat and clean.
You don’t need expensive or dressy clothes to do that. In 13 DCL cruises I have to say I have seen people in the MDR dressed in a manor that most people wouldn’t dress to go to McDonalds. I have had people walk past me in stinking clothes that turned my stomach, not just a day’s sweat from an excursion but dirty dish rag stink. Wear what you want but be clean and check your appearance in a mirror.

Last edited:
I feel people should dress neat and clean.
You don’t need expensive or dressy clothes to do that. In 13 DCL cruises I have to say I have seen people in the MDR dressed in a manor that most people wouldn’t dress to go to McDonalds. I have had people walk past me in stinking clothes that turned my stomach, not just a day’s sweat from an excursion but dirty dish rag stink. Wear what you want but be clean and check your appearance in a mirror.
I agree that neat and clean is most important. I usually put on some capri pants and a nice blouse since I don't wear dresses. But those are my dinner clothes and I don't wear them out and about.

I'm quasi torn on this change. Personally, I prefer that everyone dress up at a place like Remy. After experiencing firsthand the effort that the chef puts into the presentation of the food, I feel obliged to do the same with my presentation. However, I understand that is my preference and I would never judge anyone else for wearing what they prefer. The part that I like about this change is that we're also talking about a cruise restaurant. When my family of 4 goes on a 7 night cruise (plus a few nights on vacation before and after), I am all about limiting luggage. My decision not to go to Remy in May was because I didn't want to pack a suit.

I did see an interesting experience at Palo brunch in May. A gentleman walked in wearing shorts and he was immediately pulled aside and told pants were required. I overheard that he didn't pack any, so they gave him the option of wearing borrowed pants or not eating there. He ultimately borrowed the pants and I thought that for Palo that felt a bit stuffy.
Personally, I am glad they did not allow him into Palo wearing shorts. Once they do it, then everyone will expect it.

I feel disappointed with the relaxed dress code at Remy. We have never eaten there as we haven't been able to cruise yet on the Dream or Fantasy but it is our dream to do so. We have waited many years to try and sail on one of them and this may be the year. So, we have waited a long time for that upscale experience and would prefer that everyone is dressed to to match the fine dining experience that it is. Just once! Does my husband enjoy wearing a coat and tie? Not really. But we both feel more formal attire match the room decor, food presentation and overall experience. Do we feel jeans are appropriate for that type of fine dining? Not at all.

Personally, I am glad they did not allow him into Palo wearing shorts. Once they do it, then everyone will expect it.

I feel disappointed with the relaxed dress code at Remy. We have never eaten there as we haven't been able to cruise yet on the Dream or Fantasy but it is our dream to do so. We have waited many years to try and sail on one of them and this may be the year. So, we have waited a long time for that upscale experience and would prefer that everyone is dressed to to match the fine dining experience that it is. Just once! Does my husband enjoy wearing a coat and tie? Not really. But we both feel more formal attire match the room decor, food presentation and overall experience. Do we feel jeans are appropriate for that type of fine dining? Not at all.
Eleven Madison Park is one of the best restaurants in the world. Maybe the best. You can wear anything there. It’s certainly a far, far better example of fine dining than Remy could ever hope to be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter